Where can I find this style of music

Mrs. Kamakiri

Wife of Founder
When we were in Michigan we went to Memphis smoke, and we heard a nice blues band playing. One of the songs that they played was " Rocket 88".

I was wondering where I can find of that same music? We have a borders around here. I would go there if I knew what I was looking for.

Any suggestions.

Last edited:
Mrs. Kam,
you might try www.mymusic.com and check out artist Robert Gordon.He plays the type of music you refer to.His album Hits you remember:Live may be the ticket

Alan

Hi, Was the band you heard "Mystery Train" featuring Jim McCarty?
If it was then I can get you the info you are asking for. They are a local blues band and have a couple of cd's that they sell. I may see them this Sunday nite.

Fishstink,

I'm not sure of who the band was. Tim said that if you look at the AK pictures you will see a picture of the band.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as the music I heard there was great and would love to get it on cd.

Thanks for your help!

Originally posted by Mrs. Kamakiri
When we were in Michigan we went to Memphis smoke, and we heard a nice blues band playing. One of the songs that they played was " Rocket 88".

I was wondering where I can find of that same music? We have a borders around here. I would go there if I knew what I was looking for.

Any suggestions.
FYI
I may be showing my age here. But the Oldsmobile Rocket 88 was the 1st production family car to go from 0 to 60 in less than 10 seconds. So a song was written and was redone by many a band in many versions

They say the song was written by Ike Turner but I feel as though it goes back to an earlier time. For some strange reason I keep thinking Elmore James. I'll check it out for you.

Cheers,

PF

Yep, the Rocket 88 was a Chevy-bodied Oldsmobile that had the 303 V-8 of the Cadillac-bodied 98 in '49. Big honkin' motor + relatively light body = Zoom! Those cars were, by our standards, fairly primitive-no A/C, not many automatics, no power windows, brakes, steering, nothing-even the heater was optional. The radio -if they had one- was an AM only unit. '49 was the second year of the "Futurama" body styles-GM's 1st real postwar cars. Cadillac & Olds had it in '48, but only on the "senior" Olds. Before that, everybody had made do w/rather tired, old styling that went back to the early '40s. It says A LOT about this car that somebody would write a song about it- GM fans finally had something that would give the flathead Fords a run for their money. Sorry to ramble on & on, but I LOVE this stuff. -Sandy G.

Back
Top Bottom