Where can I get the best woofer surrounds for RSII's

idadude

I just bought another pair of RS II's (in an effort to avoid them getting parted out) which are in need of replacement woofer surrounds. Where can I buy the best (if there is a 'best') surrounds to re-foam these with?

Larry D.

I would recommend AK's legendary Rick Cobb. Real good member, does not sell sub-par surrounds.

in an effort to avoid them getting parted out)
I'm glad an AKer got these, I assume these are the speakers in Moscow, ID. I was so close to making the purchase even though I don't have the room for them. I told the seller to notify me before he parted them out, I would try to make them work somehow. In the meantime, I found a pair of Quantum 3's, so I would have had a hard time justifying the RSII's. The seller told me he sold them, and mentioned that the buyer had quite the collection...Congratulations!!

I'm glad an AKer got these, I assume these are the speakers in Moscow, ID. I was so close to making the purchase even though I don't have the room for them. I told the seller to notify me before he parted them out, I would try to make them work somehow. In the meantime, I found a pair of Quantum 3's, so I would have had a hard time justifying the RSII's. The seller told me he sold them, and mentioned that the buyer had quite the collection...Congratulations!!

You must be the guy from the Spokane area Todd was telling me about. I told him I was going to be a while before I could come up there to get the RS II's, so if anyone beat me there with cash in hand to go ahead and sell them. You called just after I said I'd come up there this weekend to pick them up. I don't like to see these vintage Infinitys get scrapped out. Except for the woofer surrounds these are very complete speakers in decent shape. Yeah, I don't have the room for them either, but oh well, I'll find a buyer who will appreciate my other pair somewhere down the road.

I would recommend AK's legendary Rick Cobb. Real good member, does not sell sub-par surrounds.

I am wanting to avoid surrounds that may not have enough of a roll to allow for needed cone travel to produce some of the low frequencies. That's one of my main concerns, next to proper fitment. How do I get a hold of Rick Cobb? I found a web address in an old post, but I'm not certain that it is still good or not. I sent an email, but haven't heard back yet.

Larry D.

I just bought another pair of RS II's (in an effort to avoid them getting parted out) which are in need of replacement woofer surrounds. Where can I buy the best (if there is a 'best') surrounds to re-foam these with?

Larry D.

Ebay seller uneeksupply sent me some 10" foam surrounds for my RSII. No problems with them whatsoever and the price was right -- under $15 for all 4. I think Rock Cobb's prices are on the moon, and that CD he sends with his kits is totally unnecessary.

I used Aileen's glue. Did not need to remove dust cap, the surround centered itself on all 4 woofers. One of the easiest refoam jobs with a immense return in sound quality I have ever done.

Oh, getting the old surrounds and glue off the cone and speaker frame is such a major PITA. After about two hours I got one done. Started out with brake fluid and ended with acetone. Those two seemed to work. Next one should be quicker.....

Larry D.

I spoke to Rick about these surrounds. He told me there's no exact replacement.

He will need the measurements from your drivers. Cone OD, frame ID, etc. and he'll match up the best surround . I guess Infinity used more than one cone and basket.

I finally got all four fitted with new surrounds and the speakers sound great. I'd only re-foamed a set of RS7b's before this, so I was hesitant to take on the project. I used a 50hz signal when centering the voice coils and it all worked out well. I used laquer thinner on the last two woofers to remove the old glue and that seemed to work out much better. I was wondering if I was going to have to put a bunch of money into these RS IIs to get them going, but it looks like there will be just a lot of 'time' spent in restoring these.

Larry D.

I finally got all four fitted with new surrounds and the speakers sound great. I'd only re-foamed a set of RS7b's before this, so I was hesitant to take on the project. I used a 50hz signal when centering the voice coils and it all worked out well. I used laquer thinner on the last two woofers to remove the old glue and that seemed to work out much better. I was wondering if I was going to have to put a bunch of money into these RS IIs to get them going, but it looks like there will be just a lot of 'time' spent in restoring these.

Larry D.
photos, photos, PHOTOS!

so, how difficult (or not) was the refoam job anyway? local shop has a pair of RS 4B (slightly bigger brothers to my RS4) for reasonable prices, I'm just ascaired to refoam them myself. I'm good with some things, but not usually when it comes to gluing stuff.

Getting the old glue off of the cone and basket was the hardest part. Gluing the foam was much easier. Our minds make it seem difficult. It's not. Just take your time, be focused, but not overly focused. All four turned out great. If I can do it right on eight drivers (total) then you can do it too. I'm nobody special, I'm just a cheapskate that does not want to pay for someone else to do it. I used a cellphone ap to generate the 50hz signal I used to center the voice coils. You can find the ap on YouTube. Here are some pics of the finished speaker.

Larry D.IMG_3123.JPG IMG_3126.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3127.JPG
    IMG_3127.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3128.JPG
    IMG_3128.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 1
Nice...

Did you get your surrounds from Rick?

Are you running the Carvers with the Infinitys?

Nice...

Did you get your surrounds from Rick?

Are you running the Carvers with the Infinitys?

I emailed Rick, but did not get a response, so I bought from Simply Speakers. Their's fit perfect.

I only have one amp, so no, I'm not running the Carvers with the RS2s. I've thought about getting a pair of monoblocks to do that though.

Larry D.

Back
Top Bottom