What holds the most romance for you?

musically
architecturally
socially
artistically
geographically

I should have been alive in the
baroque musically,
during the art deco period architecturally.

Socially, I would have lived in the roaring 20 and the depression of the 30's that followed. (great emotion from frivolity to despair)

Artistically, I enjoy post modern.

and where would I have lived?

Boston

Right here, right now on all accounts.

I thought this would be a common response.

I was thinking, where would I be geographically? Maybe NYC, 2020 or 2030.

So much building in the city at present... I can't wait for all under construction and in the planning stages to be completed.

On a ranch in Montana just like my uncle Bud had.
Riding horses
Raising cattle
Shooting rattlesnakes
Round up time

Bob

I'm pretty sure that I live here and now for a reason. However, I do wish that I could witness earlier times. Not to interact with people but just see it sort of like Ebenezer Scrooge when the ghosts of past, present and future show him except that I would like to see the distant past. I would especially like to see the first 1600 years of Earth's existence before the great flood. That would answer a lot of questions.

musically- Probably mid to late 90's. Maybe not worlds different than current yet, but there are significant differences plus I enjoy the last remnants of advanced synthesizers still being used in some music.

architecturally- Probably World War 2 or early cold-war era. I like my buildings to be 100% functional and extremely structurally re-enforced, with little if any concern about how pretty it looks.

socially- 90's, Early 2000's. I loved the early days of social computer communication, using IRC chat rooms, Instant-message clients, Internet forums (like audiokarma but more common even among smaller groups), but where everyone didn't have a cell-phone yet.

artistically- I'm not sure that I know enough about "art" to answer this question.

geographically- I can't see anything ever topping Northern California for me. It's so perfect for me in every way that counts, that I don't even enjoy taking vacations to other places.

I grew up in the 50s and 60s, and I'm not sure I'd want to change that. I also had a lot of fun in the 70s. Either coast is fine with me. I've done both. Manhattan, NYC, and the beach in Southern California.

Actually my jump into the new millenium failed. Still being here, I have to cope with my existence as good as possible.

way interesting responses

people are generally just content with what they know and did.

Few of us ,perhaps none , have the knowledge to know if they'd be happier someplace else. Not so long ago medicine was such that mortality rates were high and life expectancy short. Movies glamorize other eras waxing over hardships. We all I lived in our own presents. We have some decent ideas from what recently proceeded us. We all have the benefit of 20 20 hindsight so it's easy to say oh if I lived back then it'd be great. The reality is you'd be as clueless about tomorrow then as you are about tomorrow now.
I doubt any could give an honest answer based on facts here. Just guess on preconceived notions (not that there's anything wrong with that.
It makes me think of a scene in Patton where he makes his driver stop at some spot where he talks about an ancient battle. Projecting reincarnation? I guess that's food for another thread.

Few of us ,perhaps none , have the knowledge to know if they'd be happier someplace else. Not so long ago medicine was such that mortality rates were high and life expectancy short. Movies glamorize other eras waxing over hardships. We all I lived in our own presents. We have some decent ideas from what recently proceeded us. We all have the benefit of 20 20 hindsight so it's easy to say oh if I lived back then it'd be great. The reality is you'd be as clueless about tomorrow then as you are about tomorrow now.
I doubt any could give an honest answer based on facts here. Just guess on preconceived notions (not that there's anything wrong with that.
It makes me think of a scene in Patton where he makes his driver stop at some spot where he talks about an ancient battle. Projecting reincarnation? I guess that's food for another thread.
What a buzz kill. Not all of us are "clueless."

I enjoy all genres of music and architecture. (try me)

I hang out with anyone, as long as they are not assholes. (mean people suck)

I have enjoyed living all over the country and several places overseas. (military brat)

I live in the moment. California, now. Couple days ago I was in Las Vegas, tomorrow I'll be in Washington. Visiting my daughter in NYC in the fall. In a couple of years, maybe retiring to Maui or keep exploring what I haven't yet.

I am not wealthy, I am an artist.

Sincerely and with all respect, my thread asked what period holds the most "romance for you?"

No one claimed they'd be happier anywhere else in this thread that I read. (I think you missed the intent/theme of the thread)

I do agree with your last line though, "that's food for another thread."

peace brother!

All i can do is apologize. I more openly interpreted the OP statement (or missed the point). I spewed forth with what came to to mind. I'll show myself to the door. sorry:bye:

Back
Top Bottom