Where do you buy polished granite on the cheap?

ProAc_Fan

Addicted Member
Just for fun I stopped at the local monument store to inquire about a piece of jet black polished granite( like Mike's). I want to park my HK tube amp on top of a nice chunk of it. So I asked the lady about a 24"X18" piece ( with the rough edges), and she quotes me a price of $640CAN. I told her that it's not for my tombstone so I'll still need money AFTER I purchase it. There's no way my wife would let me spend that much coin on a friggin chunk of rock. So anybody out there have a better ( read cheaper) source for polished granite? There are a few quarries around here. Should I go straight to the source?

Mike

I went and scoured some countertop and tile shops. Found some nice scrap pieces of granite laying around about 2'x2' and some other stuff for $40 bucks. Try the guys that do custom installations, I'm sure they got some nice slabs laying around.

Pro check places that do granite counter tops. Ask them what they do with the cutouts for the sinks and stove tops.

Scrap Bin

Go back to the monument shop and ask about what is available in their scrap bin. What would have cost me $1100 for my speaker platforms cost me like $60. Try other shops or just keep checking back with the one you did. There will always be new scarp pieces to choose from. The piece your looking for is pretty large. What I did with my amp platform (22x15x2") was find a scrape large piece and then have them cut it with a chisel while I waited (took like 15 minutes). The piece was already polished and the edges were rough (my choice). So the machining costs were eliminated. Polishing is where the cost resides.

MikE

All I have to say is "good luck". Being in construction I know about these things and I couldn't get a good price on that stuff to save my life. Even scrap is treated like gold and they don't want to make it reasonable. So I faked it. My 1 inch MDF shelves on my new audio rack (pics coming soon) is done in a special paint texture. My wife is an art graduate and really did one hell of a job making these like like stone. I shot a few clear coats over it with the airless and shazzzzaaaammmm! Looks like stone, cost like dirt. Works for me!

I used to go to a monument builder and go through the scrap bin. Whole stones are sometimes replaced or others are broken and replaced. I took a sledge to bust up the larger pieces till I could lift them. I made use of them landscaping my back yard where I used to live.

Back
Top Bottom