Where should you place your best Power Cord?

4-2-7 and E-Stat have already nailed the questions posed. Pretty sure I even voiced my own skepticism over the same things recently brought up, all the way back to the cheesy $10 breaker.

BUT, I am pretty sure it is all about noise elimination. I am more than happy with the results I got by replacing all the PCs in my system. I also use a dedicated 20amp line for just my Audio and Video gear.

Happy to say the cables were on the table when I got up this morning having come in yesterday's mail. So he didnt send a tracking number but all's well.
Between now and the weekend I will get them installed..looking forward to it!

Six. At order acceptance he said he was slammed with orders therefore it would be a week and a half. I did not contact him for 16 days. He then said working on them now--should ship Monday (Monday would have been 3 days after that email exchange). Now another Monday is about here. I don't think he is slammed. I am decent at ferreting things out on the Internet. Looking at he and family member's facebook and his linkd in, he is just apparently busy
with things other than Cullen Cables.

Happy to say the cables were on the table when I got up this morning having come in yesterday's mail. So he didnt send a tracking number but all's well.
Between now and the weekend I will get them installed..looking forward to it!

When I ordered my cable, he had to go out of town the day it shipped, but he emailed me to say it was on it's way with no tracking.

Please post your impressions, what cables you got and where you placed them all.

Only so much time after work last night so haven't messed with the power cords yet. I did replace the monster speaker wire with the crossover speaker cables though. The spades held tightly to the posts.
The black sleeved cables present a much nicer appearance than the monsters. Even with no lengthy play it seemed the sound stage was a bit deeper. The sound gained another realm of clarity. On two of the tracks I could hear something around or about Fagen's vocals that I did not hear before. The other tracks sounded better than before. so as usual when an improvement is made...the best and worst of the music quality will enhance. I was listening to a Fagen solo effort on Tidal. Happy with the cables. On to the power cables when I get time. The crossovers will go on the 2 amps and the dectet box. The red copper will go on the preamp, and the gold will go on the turn table. I am not messing with the Luxman intergrated, the SACD player or the subs.......yet.

When I ordered my cable, he had to go out of town the day it shipped, but he emailed me to say it was on it's way with no tracking.

Please post your impressions, what cables you got and where you placed them all.

Silnote Audio has some of their 1M Poseidon GL Reference power cables on sale, and I am going to try one since I need a power cable for the phono stage.

I was previously buying PS Audio power cables, but most of them are out of stock on their site now (I'm asking my contact there to let me know the status), and I don't want to wait too long for used cables to show up at US Audio Mart or Audiogon. But I have been happy with them so far.

My last step is to get an IEC socket for the power amp so I can replace the captive power cable that is slightly damaged. Maybe that will be one of my winter projects. ;) So I may buy two of those Silnotes while the price is still good.

Well, I'm an idiot. But we all know this already.

So I took my own advice and bought two of the Silnote Audio Poseidon GL Reference power cables. They arrived shortly, straight from the manufacturer. Really nice quality, of course, and a great company to deal with. (And I'd recommend getting the GL Reference cables over the next week or two while they're still on sale.)

Now, I go to stretch one out and give it a trial fit from my phono stage near the top of the rack, to the power conditioner.

Too short.

But things are dusty, so I break down the rack. Maybe I'll move it out or rotate it so I can put the power conditioner behind the rack. I unplug one of my PS AC-3s from the Oppo (which is being replaced shortly), stretch it out...waitaminute, it's 1.5m! Since when did I buy that?? So, crisis averted. I can use that AC-3 from my top shelf. I kind of wanted to use the Silnote on the preamp and phono stage (same manufacturer, same basic purpose), but I guess that's not happening now. Not a huge deal either--the AC-3s are no slouch.

Finally get the last level of the rack off, and I'm down to the power amp and the base of the rack. I undo the power cable from the wall...and I'm pulling out an awful lot of power cable from underneath the rack. Guess what? That AC-3 was 2m! I certainly don't remember buying that either!

Now I'm back to digging through emails to see if I really did get longer cables than ordered, or if I'm just that forgetful...

Things are sounding a little strange, but my room is still in disarray and the light tinnitus I have is acting up today.

The spare AC-3 I have now is reserved for when I can get together a parts order and buy a good Furutech IEC socket for the power amp, then find someone who can do a clean cut on the chassis for me so I can install it. The frayed jacket on the power amp's cord is a little worrying still. (Not bare, but still...)

When I bought my AC3s they were out of the 1M so they sent me 1.5M cables. It probably happened to you too if you bought new from AA. I have 2 of them and paid for 1meter cables both times.

When I bought my AC3s they were out of the 1M so they sent me 1.5M cables. It probably happened to you too if you bought new from AA. I have 2 of them and paid for 1meter cables both times.
All of mine were purchased used. From what I found, the Audiogon AC-3 was listed as "new in box" and claimed to be 1m. (I still have the box.) The US Audio Mart AC-3 did not have a length in the listing--I didn't check my messages yet to see if I asked the length. The third was a post in another forum, and the seller had replied that the cord was 1m (although he was selling two, and I bought the first of the two).

I saw a case recently where someone had purchased an AC-12 on eBay, and sent it in to PS Audio. They noted it was counterfeit, and sent the user back a brand new, genuine AC-12. These retail for over $1k if I'm not mistaken. Pretty nice gesture on their part.

PS is completely out of power cables at the moment (they sell direct), and retailers have pretty much run out also. ETA is early summer, per the sales manager. I had noticed that even the sales of used PS power cables were growing thin over the past few months.

I'll need to get a photo of the new Poseidons once I get the system put back together.

Old thread, I know......but hey, let it be known that power cables do make a difference.

I bought some big ass, nice looking power cords from Amazon. For just that reason. I've been modernizing my gear lately and wanted some cool looking power cords. If they improved sound quality, great. If not, no big deal because it wasn't my primary intention.

The audible difference was noticeable right off the bat. At first I knew the sound was different but wasn't quite convinced it was better. After swapping back and forth with the stock power cords several times, it was then I could hear exactly what was going on and it confirmed that the aftermarket power cords were better.

The soundstage is bigger. It almost seems like the volume was turned up a notch or two. The imaging is more resolving, more engaging. The bass is better in every way.

Before I get too poetic, I'll just say that it's an absolute improvement that I cannot deny. I didn't pay big bucks. A 6' cord was just under 50 bucks. They are made very well. Very solid.

I have one on my amp and one on my preamp. Tomorrow I'm gonna put one on my amp that is powering my horn loaded subs.

Saying that power cords affect sq sounds like BS but as I just found out like many of you.....they absolutely affect sound quality. No doubt about it.

Ok, this power cord stuff is starting to freak me out a little.....in a good way.

After hearing the improvement in my main system with the aftermarket power cords on my amp and preamp, I put another one in a secondary basement system. I put it on the amp that is powering a single horn loaded sub. I could hear the difference right away and quickly realized the gain to that sub had to be turned down about one notch. Sounds fricken excellent. It's cleaner and punchier.

So I proceeded to do the same thing upstairs in my main system where the aftermarket power cords are already on the amp and preamp.....and have proven over and over again to be a significant improvement by way of switching back and forth several times with the original power cords.

In this system there are two huge big ass horn loaded subs that are almost as tall as the ceiling. After putting the aftermarket power cord on the amp that powers those subs, the gain had to be turned down four notches! The bass was so much more powerful but it had a 'hard' sound to it. It didn't have the soft, clean, punchy sound they normally have. I took the aftermarket power cord out, put the original back in and everything was cool.

That cord was the only one of the four that I didn't attempt to burn in. The other three after doing a little research, I got an adaptor and hooked each one of them up to my basement refrigerator/freezer for a week each. Sounds kinda goofy but I figured what the heck and I wasn't about to splurge on a 'Cable Cooker' for something I know little about.

So I'm gonna leave that last cord I tried on the fridge for a week and give it another shot.

I have that, I use it on my power amp.

I find that a really good power cord is best prioritized to the preamp. It seems to have the most effect.

I have these, and I like them - https://www.amazon.com/Viborg-Audio...ctor/dp/B07SPBKNNF?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

The Pangea cords sound good, but they dont play well with others. For Pangea, I recommend a full loom or with standard cords.

Don't stop there.

A considerable amount of RFI noise that gets channeled to the AC is generated by digital sources. I use both aftermarket cords and power conditioners to better isolate them.

Don't stop there.

A considerable amount of RFI noise that gets channeled to the AC is generated by digital sources. I use both aftermarket cords and power conditioners to better isolate them.

What do you use for a power conditioner? I've tried them in the past but the ones I used sucked the life out of the music.....but I have to say, they were nothing special.

What do you use for a power conditioner? I've tried them in the past but the ones I used sucked the life out of the music.....but I have to say, they were nothing special.
Nothing fancy. Just a Monster 3500 in the main system - but used for sources only. Each Sound Lab backplate uses a Tripp Lite unit.

Preamp and power amps use aftermarket cords plugged directly into wall. Each amplifier has 20A dedicated circuit.

system_behind.jpg

I take the same approach with both garage and HT systems plugging amplifiers directly into wall using same double shielded DIY power cord as the main system's preamp. HT amp gets 20A dedicated circuit.

I have a Monster 3600.....I've had it for over 15 years. Totally sucks the life out of the music. I just use it for my tv, cable box and my DAC. Preamp and amps go directly into a dedicated 30 amp line.

I also have a Tripp Lite (Isobar?). It takes my DEQ2496, my Paradigm X-30 and my Bluesound Node 2i.

Back
Top Bottom