Where to buy 2.7Ohm, 25W sand/ceramic resistor?

Kencat

Can anyone or everyone throw out some good online places (or stores if local :D ) where I could buy a resistor of said type? It's one of those white rectangular big ones...power resistors,sand resistors, wire wound, etc. Has WES on it and 10%.

It's for the Xover in the Q2s. One is dead.

A google search is just nuts....all kinds of garbage results.

Thanks.

Hummm, measure the other one after you have disconnected it. The type of resistor you are refering to is often called a "dog bone" because of its shape. In any event, you can find one at any electronics warehouse. They are not really "sand" but a plain old wire would ceramic resistor. The wattage and value will be stamped on the side of them. Just do a Google search: "wire wound ceramic resistors". I just did and that should put you waaaaaaaaaaaay inside the ball park for finding what you want. Oh, replace both when you find the value you need. I hope this has been of some help.

Replace both? You mean in each speaker?

The 2.7 Ohm is in series with the two Midrange drivers, connected to the L-pad center lead. There is an 8.1 Ohm in parallel with the drivers coming off the L-pad. Both drivers produce no sound, but the combined DCR of the mids is 4 Ohms which I believe is correct. With the pot out, the 2.7 Ohm resistor measures "open", while the 8.1 measures fine.

I'll start that Googling now. Thanks

If nothing else works out, you can always parallel three 8.2 ohm 10 watt resistors, such as the ones available from Parts Express. Gives a total impedence of 2.73 ohms, and a power handling of 30 watts. That's only a 1.2% variation... WELL WITHIN the 10% tolerance limits of the existing resistor.

Like was mentioned above... you'd want to replace the same parts in both speakers, to insure that the pair sounds identical... but this would work absolutely fine, IME.

Regards,
Gordon.

GordonW said:
If nothing else works out, you can always parallel three 8.2 ohm 10 watt resistors, such as the ones available from Parts Express. Gives a total impedence of 2.73 ohms, and a power handling of 30 watts. That's only a 1.2% variation... WELL WITHIN the 10% tolerance limits of the existing resistor.

Like was mentioned above... you'd want to replace the same parts in both speakers, to insure that the pair sounds identical... but this would work absolutely fine, IME.

Regards,
Gordon.

Thanks much Gordon, trying to find a store with these 2.7's is laborious searching on the net. I'll keep trying for a while, but it's good to have this in the back pocket.

If anyone knows of a place that is likely to have these, post away.

As I've been looking to partially rebuild the crossovers in my own pair of Quantum 2s, this thread has held my interest. However, I've a question brought up by Dave's post.

The original resistors look to be standard wire-wound power resistors. However, this appears to also mean that they're slightly inductive thanks to the design. Is it a good idea to "upgrade" to non-inductive variants or should it be assumed that Infinity designed their crossovers (that are well-designed) to accommodate this trait? IE, would non-inductive resistors be an improvement or cause problems.

- JP

Charivari said:
The original resistors look to be standard wire-wound power resistors. However, this appears to also mean that they're slightly inductive thanks to the design. Is it a good idea to "upgrade" to non-inductive variants or should it be assumed that Infinity designed their crossovers (that are well-designed) to accommodate this trait? IE, would non-inductive resistors be an improvement or cause problems.

I think JP brings up an excellent point. I, too, would question the validity of "upgrading" the resistors. I say if they're still checking to spec, leave 'em alone. Just one man's opinion. - Mark

I'd leave them alone if they're still within spec, although I did upgrade to noninductives in my Altecs and I just love them!! Dave. :music:

A7's

Good question JP. I was going to go for the non-inductive type, thinking that would be better,i.e. an upgrade. Now you have me thinking.

Problem is, are all reqular wirewounds the same wrt to their inductance? and how do you go about getting an equivalent.

If I didn't HAVE to get some, I wouldn't even be thinking about it. Hope we get some other comments on the matter.

Hey Mark, check your email tonight.

Good article on resistors for beginners

In my quest for more understanding about resistors, I came across this nice article. For beginners as myself, it is a good read.

The type of resistor I'm looking to replace is called a "bathtub boat Type". Seems it's not meant for a lot of accuracy and is cheap, but takes the power. Seems Infinity wasn't to concerned about inductance or having an expensive high performance resistor in the xover.

One would assume there is not much effect on the sound due to a resistor. :scratch2:

http://www.ipass.net/teara/resistor-frm.html

a 4 ohm and 8 ohm resistor in parallel results in 2.67 ohm which is cheap. N/M, just saw the response with the actual 2.7 ohm resistor.

Found a store in my hometown

Man, I can't believe my luck tonight. I was driving the daughter to a friends, and I spot a little store called Torbram Electrical Supply. Figured, what the heck, stop in on the way back and see what they got.

MOTHERLOAD...hit the big one. They were closed doing inventory (but the doors were open :scratch2: ???), so I walked in and started talking to the guys. Asked if they had any 2.7 Ohm, 25W wirewound resistors and one guy points to a wall full of little bags with....you guessed it......CERAMIC WIREWOUND POWER RESISTORS. Even had the 2.7 Ohm 25 watter.

So I said I would see them later to pick some up, and they handed me a big NTE catalog, NTE cross reference CD-ROM , and another Torbram catalog with CD. What nice guys :thmbsp:

Another guy said that because Radio Shack was dead, they were picking up the electronics supply for the DIYERS in the area.

Yeah baby.....I've found the source :yippy:

Should have these Q2s :sing: in about a week.

Kencat said:
Should have these Q2s :sing: in about a week.

Excellent, bet you can't wait Ken...

Ain't it great when things come together :yes:

Brings back fond memories of waiting to hear my 2.5's for the first time, after sending out the emims for repair :thmbsp:

Yup, Can't wait.

I'll be spending the weekend tearing apart the Good speaker to take out the pots and clean them up, so that that job is over with for a few more years. Then take out the actually good 2.7 Ohm resistor (seems a shame to do that) in preparation for installing the new resistor when I get them.

Have to get two resistors and install, even though only one is open circuit, on the advice of fellow AKers here. Have to keep each speaker sonically balanced.

Excellento Kencat,
It is the little things that become so elusive. I went through a similar search mission a ,month or so ago for replacement fuses for my RSIIa's. I looked everywhere and no one had the right ones. I search the internet until I was blurry eyed. Once I found this site, folks pointed me to a few here and now I have lots of them. Drove me nuts. Radio Shack folks were a gas to talk to about them.
Congrats,
Vito

Back
Top Bottom