Where to buy tuner dial cord string

Why not dental floss?

Using dental floss or fishing line are two of the best ideas I've ever heard, thanks guys! I mainly work on classic car radios, and the few models that use a dial cord have much thinner cord material than what is available. The thinnest I've seen at places like Radio Daze is .032 which is too fat to get the required number of turns before running out of shaft in these tight spaces. I'll definitely try dental floss!

I've read some threads on restringing tuner dials but I haven't seen anything on where you folks buy replacement strings.

So my question is: Where does one buy dial string?

Thanks,
Paul
The dial cord I generally need is much thinner than the smallest size I've found anywhere which is .028. The original dial cord in mid 60's Ford radios appears to be closer to .015, so I followed the advice of a fellow forum member and found Power Pro fishing line (braided Spectra Fiber) at my local Wal Mart sporting goods department. I purchased the heaviest size I saw which was 65 pound test. This diameter is extremely close to the dial cord I needed, and I was very happy to see it works fabulously on the last two radios I worked on. It's about 15 bucks for 150 yards, WAY cheaper than actual dial cord - and doesn't fray nearly as much when cut. I found that using an Exacto knife with a fresh blade cuts it very cleanly.

I considered using dental floss also, but was concerned about its slippery nature and it just didn't "feel" good. The fishing line matches the properties of dial cord much more closely, and I'll be using the Power Pro fishing line for all future jobs.

Back
Top Bottom