Where to spend $100 on a new tt mat - Funk Achromat vs. Herbie's Way Excellent II

Andy_H

Behind the Wall of Sleep
One of the next upgrades I'd like to add to my Technics SL-1200 MkI is an aftermarket platter mat. I was looking around and figuring if I could spend up to ~$100, the Funk Firm Achromat ($90) or the Herbie's Way Excellent II ($72.50) would be the top contenders. However, I've no firsthand experience with either.

Any of you have either of these mats to recommend or compare? Any other ideas in the sub-$100 price range are welcome as well.

You might check with KAB USA. My SL-1200 (purchased from KAB) came with a thick, high quality mat, replacing the thin stock mat. Gotta believe it's a lot cheaper than $100.

I have no experience with the other two you're considering.

The choice of a TT mat can be strongly influenced by the TT it is used on. There have been comparisons where on type works well on TT-A but not on TT-B which sounded better with a different material.

Maybe someone here has experience with the 1200 and different mat materials. Just getting one if it is not the right material for that TT may make the sound worse than using the stock mat. For the ubiquitous 1200 there have to be some that have tried different mats.

KAB does have what's billed as the "Super 1/4 Mat" for only $23.50. I wonder how it would compare to what I already have. The stock mat on the 1200 MkI is a heavy rubber mat, not a DJ style slip mat.

Red, any idea what kinda $ those Applied Fidelity mats go for?

I want to get something good, but right now I'd rather spend bigger $ in other areas than a $100+ platter mat.

Andy, you'd best shoot Jim an email to confirm, but I think his mats are about $150.

I've tried both the Herbie's and the Funk Firm Achromat.
Definitely prefer the Funk Firm mat.

I have found a good combination is the thick Technics´ rubber mat and on that Technics´ own slip mat. Isolates the vibrations from the platter surprisingly well. Measured noise floor is very low.
gusten

Last edited:
The FF mat gave me a blacker background with a more 3D presentation.
The Herbies was quiet but darker sounding with less defined sound stage.
Hope this helps.

I have the Herbie's, it's great and I recommend it. With their return policy you should be able to return it in 30 days if you're not impressed, unless they changed their policy.

Above all, I recommend avoiding rubber and felt mats altogether. I really liked the results I got using a cork mat, so that might be something else to consider.

One of the next upgrades I'd like to add to my Technics SL-1200 MkI is an aftermarket platter mat. I was looking around and figuring if I could spend up to ~$100, the Funk Firm Achromat ($90) or the Herbie's Way Excellent II ($72.50) would be the top contenders. However, I've no firsthand experience with either.

Any of you have either of these mats to recommend or compare? Any other ideas in the sub-$100 price range are welcome as well.

Ever tried a deer hide mat? I'll be up your way this weekend, I can bring a FF mat and a deer hide one........you try both for a week?

Marc

I've had mixed results with the Herbie's. Really liked how it worked with a Pro-Ject table (Xpression) and was less than pleased with it on a Rega (P3). They have a liberal return policy that might make it worth a go.

Ever tried a deer hide mat? I'll be up your way this weekend, I can bring a FF mat and a deer hide one........you try both for a week?

Marc

Hmm, sounds interesting! Tell me more about the deer hide. Do you make them yourself?

Anybody have any measurements of surface noise with these different mats?
Also of comparing measurements with rubber/slip-mat.
gusten

Hmm, sounds interesting! Tell me more about the deer hide. Do you make them yourself?

Ummm, the deer make the hide........I cut it round:smoke:

Long story that started back in the late 70's trying to find something better than what Rega had for their new table with glass platter. Fast forward to recent times and a post of mine that got resurected on the vinylengine by a gentleman in Canada where he used a harder leather first on his Thorens and was impressed by the difference. I sent him some soft thin cow hide, and deer hide. With the smooth side up, the deer hide gives an airy presentation to the music without boosting any frequency. I sent one to England, and that person liked the results as well over his stock Linn mat. I have it on my Aluminum platter table(s)........I also have a FF mat, cork/rubber mat, discwasher mat, various brands of rubber mats, etc..........the deer hide seems to allow the music to be free-er.

as noted, I'll be in your area Saturday for a wedding, spending the night and coming back to Columbus on Sunday......if you think there's a chance we could hook up for a few, PM me

Marc

Back
Top Bottom