Which air wrench to buy?

devoid

NA Volvos and Amplifiers
I'm shopping for an air wrench. Probably the impact variety. Seems to be a lot of crap out there, which I need to avoid. I'd be using it mostly to take lug nuts off a car and put them back on. Maybe six times a year. So I would guess I want 1/2 inch drive. I don't want to play with a crappy one but at the same time I won't be using it to earn a paycheck. What should I get? Would a used one be OK? Looks like I'm looking at $100 to $150.

How about an Ingersoll-Rand 231 variant? Not that expensive, very good quality. I'm also partial to the higher-end Husky (Home Depot) impact wrenches, as last time I checked they were made by Fuji and carried a lifetime warranty.

Used can be good, but they wear out fast if they're not kept lubed properly. Can be a crap shoot. I would, however, recommend buying an unused in-box model on eBay. Once they leave the store shelf, most air tools lose half their value.

Since you aren't going to be making a living using it I see no reason to buy an expensive impact. You can buy a lot of the cheaper impacts for the price of one high dollar model. For using 6 times a year unless you are into tools like audio a cheaper made in Japan or Taiwan will do. I would avoid the low end Chinese wrenches though.

Been looking at the IR 231C. Amazon has it for $115. The Husky ones on Home Depot's site are made by an STI International. No Google hits on that so they're out.

Ingersol Rand. There's a lot of garbage out there that won't break loose a 1/4" bolt. IR is the real deal.

Murray

Attachments

• ir.jpg
    ir.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 27
I have one of the cheapos and frankly it sucks. In certain things you can't beat the price/performance of new chinese stuff but IME consumer grade air tools is not one of them.

Myself and my friends have had excellent luck with used heavy-duty pro-mechanic type airtools, even fairly 'well used' ones. The good old stuff was apparently made to be dropped on concrete floors all day and night and still work.

My other recommendation though would be to consider a DeWalt heavy duty cordless impact wrench. No hoses, no hassles, still powerful as heck. I use one of those with 2 batteries and it is just the best for tire changes and other impact needs. I use it twice a year for the snow tire rituals but it's also been perfect for other mech jobs like installing shocks in our Jeep, doing a trailer hitch install, etc. Almost never need the second battery within the span of one job but if I do it's there.

I pulled the trigger at Amazon. For $247.61 shipped I got:

Ingersoll Rand 107XPA 3/8-inch Air Ratchet

Ingersoll-Rand 231C 1/2-Inch Super Duty Air Impact Wrench

Liberty and Tyranny: A Conservative Manifesto
Mark R. Levin

:thmbsp:
good call on the air ratchet by the way. it wasn't until I got one that i understood why so many modern cars are so hard to work on - they are made to be taken apart by air (or cordless) ratchets which will work in spaces you can't swing a wrench, not to mention the speed factor.

so many cars now require you pull bumpers or crossbars or radiators or other major engine compartment components off just for access purposes to do other maintenance, and now I understand how that is workable.

I did a supercharger install on an Audi I had once by hand, then reversed the install years later with the aid of an air ratchet. required pulling the bumper, radiator, a crossbar, etc. etc. from the front of the car, as well as a manifold replacement and lots of other stuff.

the reversal was exactly the same amount of work as the install was on paper but took about 50% of the time because of the tool.

Impacts are good for taking off lug nuts, but usually over torque them when installing them. I would strongly suggest using a torque wrench on lug nuts.

Put it this way if you get a flat you are screwed if you can't get the lug nuts off. I just about got a hernia removing the lug nuts on my Caravan because someone torqued the s**t out of them with an impact.

Over torquing can also damage the nuts, studs, and wheels, and it is not safe!

You could get away with using a "Torque stick" might not be accurate but should keep from really over doing it.

Also, make sure your compressor is up to the task.

Consider getting an air ratchet too. Pretty usefull, just watch your knuckles!

Been looking at the IR 231C. Amazon has it for $115. The Husky ones on Home Depot's site are made by an STI International. No Google hits on that so they're out.

That one should do it pretty good. 425 Ft-Lb max torque, twin hammer. I used one similar to that (possibly the same) and there were few bolts / nuts that it wouldn't remove. And if you keep it oiled correctly it should last forever with the amount of use you plan on.:thmbsp:

Don't put anything together with an impact wrench. Those torque stick things are useless as far as I'm concerned.

Like tshoejohn said.l They are good for taking things off but don't use them to put them back on, you will over torque things. My friends car had an oil change done at the shop once and I did the next one, I had to use a breaker bar and a block of wood to get the drain plug out. :yikes:

I always keep a large cross type lug wrench in my trunk. That way I can remove any lug nut no matter what 3/4 inch impact gun the goon at the tire shop used to install the wheel.

Don't forget to oil them after every use. It keeps the internals from rusting. A water seperator is a good idea , too. Congrats on the new toys!

Sears has a 1/2" impact gun on sale through Tuesday for $20. Don't forget the special socket set. If the sockets are expensive at Sears, check Harbor Freight. A torque wrench is a good idea when tightening the lugs.

Ron

I'll use the ratchet to put the lug nuts back on loose and then do my tighten to snug by hand method. Wish I had the stuff tomorrow as I need to put new pads on the front. Knew they were lowish and was going to wait till putting the snows on but yesterday I noticed some grinding on heavy braking. Good thing I've got tomorrow off... Today was a waste, but that's Sunday.

Don't put anything together with an impact wrench. Those torque stick things are useless as far as I'm concerned.

The torque sticks do suck. We were not allowed to use them whenI worked at a Saturn dealership back in '95. But it's still better than nothing to help prevent over torquing.

Sears has a 1/2" impact gun on sale through Tuesday for $20. Don't forget the special socket set. If the sockets are expensive at Sears, check Harbor Freight. A torque wrench is a good idea when tightening the lugs.

Ron

I read the reviews on that one and realized I was going to have to make an investment. Not unlike getting a good amplifier. Sometimes you gotta part with the cash. Doing a Harbor Frieght order right now for some cheap stuff the doesn't matter much. I have a tree limb right above where I'd like to place my FM antenna. Hope this rope saw thing works out. The limb's about 35 feet up. They've got 2 for $4 deal on 9 LED aluminum flashlight. Can't have enough of them around the house and in the car.

I always keep a large cross type lug wrench in my trunk. That way I can remove any lug nut no matter what 3/4 inch impact gun the goon at the tire shop used to install the wheel.

Same here with a slight variation - I use a 2' knuckle bar with a 1/2" drive & socket. I defy any of those 'goons' to tighten my wheel nuts more than my 'secret weapon' can handle - never failed me yet.

An 'Air Wrench' or in fact any 'Air' tools are a rarity over here in the home, except for the home of a really serious DIY'er :dunno:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom