Which Allman's Fillmore East?

Ross6860

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
So there's like half-dozen different ways to get these recordings. Double album, four LPs, two, three four CDs, MFSL vinyl and CD, etc.

I like the Allman Brothers quite a bit. Is it "worth" getting the 6 cd set, or just get the double album? Maybe the MFSL or 1/2 speed master albums?

I know the full set has two or three versions of the same songs from different performances. I'm OK with that.

Just looking for opinions from folks that may have several versions or the full set.

Thanks in advance.

Original Capricorn LPs sound great. Original US CD "fatboy" case CDs also sound great.

Deluxe Edition CDs have too much high end boost for my ears.

Have an original WLP @ Capricorn and the LPs sound great.

Regarding digital version(s), I haven't a clue, so I would go with Ken's suggestion, i.e. "original US CD "fatboy" case CDs".

Thanks.

Found a "fat box/fat boy" case CD on the auction site for pretty cheap, Seller also had a Van Morrison Moondance (which I can't believe I don't own...) so shipping was split.

I had the SACD and also the MFSL CD of the concert. I preferred the MFSL so my plan some day when I am bored and rich is to get the MFSL SACD.

The Capricorn original double set....my first ABB album, it still sounds better than any other version...in my opinion!

Picked up a Pink Capricorn Fillmore, Beginnings and CSNY So Far for $24. The covers are fair/poor but the vinyl is VG+ or better and that's all I really care about. They have some noise in the quiet parts but sound great when the music comes in.

I'll get a Hybrid CD eventually when I find one for the right price.

Picked up the Mercury re-release (4-album box), brand new.

The vocals and especially the guitars are more laid back. A more "balanced" mix I guess. Very quiet, also.

So if I want to hear the guitars scream, it's the pink Capricorn or Fat Box CD. Just listening to the tunes, I think the Mercury mix may be more enjoyable.

YMMV

The mercury box is by far the way to hear the most stuff. It's worth every penny for the 4lp set. The original Capricorn labels sound great. The Japanese presses sound even better. The nautilus lp sounds amazing also. The sacd didn't do it for me at all. If I had to pick 1 I'd go 4lp mercury box

Holy Crap!

Another one is gone. I guess they are all getting to the age that we will be loosing many of the "stars" of the 60's and 70's classic rock era.

Heaven's band is getting better all the time

I never liked the sound quality of the original pink Capricorn. I am more happy with the new MFSL SACD than any other copy I've had. The new MFSL Eat A Peach on vinyl is also the most enjoyable I've ever heard tat one personally.

Back
Top Bottom