Which are the best Pioneer turntables?

Also thanks for the pics Siamac. I don't think I have ever seen any of those tables before. That and the shot with the sx-1980 in the back. You'd think I wasn't lookin at pics on AK because when I saw it I was Like "Hey, thats an sx-1980, WOW!"

On a seperate note though, I notice that ALL of your dustcovers are in perfect shape. Do you know somebody that knows how to buff them?

marantzfan said:
That PL-570 is the kind of style I'm looking for. Something to match with the walnut cabinet on my sx-1050.

Your's is a pretty one too...:thmbsp:

The one thing I didn't like about my PL-570 was the vinyl veneer.

I think Siamac reveneered his PL-570 with excellent results.

And that combo with the HPM-100s absolutely rocks! :thmbsp:

Its an Elite PL-90 I spotted on a popular auction site. I think the link is posted in Dollars and Sense. I snagged all the pics of it cuz I never heard of this one before but looks to be worthy of some serious music enjoyment.
Last I looked it was going for over $900.00. Seller claims the retail was $900.00. Does not include the cart.
No affiliation..just drool time :drool:

madpioneer said:
Its an Elite PL-90 I spotted on a popular auction site. I think the link is posted in Dollars ans Sense. I snagged all the pics of it cuz I never heard of this one before but looks to be worthy of some serious music enjoyment.
Last I looked it was going for over $900.00. Seller claims the retail was $900.00. Does not include the cart.
No affiliation..just drool time :drool:
Wouldn't you just know it--the guy is only 10 minutes away from me. :tears:

hakaplan said:
Siamac, tell me about the PL-8. How do you think it compares with the PL-600 and PL-630?

PL-8´s case is made of plastic. When you look at the tonearm and compare to PL-600, it looks cheap-made, too. The weight of the TT tells the rest ...

PL-630 has the best tonearm of all Pioneers. (Almost like PA-5000)

Can't believe no one's mentioned the PL-71, which was from about 1974-75. TOTL in its time. If not one of the best Pioneer tables, certainly one of the prettiest!

I really have no idea which is "best" but I have always had a weakness for the PL-41. :banana:

Pl-51 and PL-71 almost look the same.
In my opinion that is the best Pioneer, PL-61:

pl61hq8.jpg

Well Siamac I must say I don't agree that the PL-61 is the best Pioneer turntable.
The PL-61 is a belt drive. For a belt drive turntable a S/N ratio of 55db is rather bad. This is on the level of good idler drives.

In my opinion the best pioneer turntable is the Exclusive P3a. It's built like a tank (47kg), it's direct drive, and has a S/N ratio of 95db. 95db is EXTREMELY high! And it cost a couple of fortunes.
p3a.JPG

I am completely aware that to say which one of these are best, is somewhat a discussion of what is best of belt drive and direct drive...

bordeno said:
Can't believe no one's mentioned the PL-71, which was from about 1974-75. TOTL in its time. If not one of the best Pioneer tables, certainly one of the prettiest!

OK.......I'll agree since I own, use daily & love the PL-71 with a Shure V15 # 3 setup ( which mine has).

100% manual, DC servo direct drive, but this is what I like.

A truly beautiful TT and performs just great.

HERE'S MINE (YES, that is real wood & the original finish.)--------->

( I'm missing the Pioneer logo on the left front. Can't find that baby anywhere!!!)

Attachments

• PL-71.JPG
    PL-71.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 342
siamac said:
Pl-51 and PL-71 almost look the same.
In my opinion that is the best Pioneer, PL-61:

pl61hq8.jpg

I have seen a few Pl 51's, and they look similiar, but are far from being the same. The 51 uses some lame veneer, over particle board, where the 71 is Solid Wood. The Pl 71 is also completely manual, so be advised. I really like mine. I was informed by a knowledgeable Aker, that the Arm is made by Jelco, which makes nice arms, after I checked, and did some research. I was lucky, and got it cheap. Here's a PL 71, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190093281874&fromMakeTrack=true.
Doubt I would buy this one though.
The 51, and 61 are Belt Drive, and the 71 is Direct Drive.

HALOLS said:
Well Siamac I must say I don't agree that the PL-61 is the best Pioneer turntable.
The PL-61 is a belt drive. For a belt drive turntable a S/N ratio of 55db is rather bad. This is on the level of good idler drives.

In my opinion the best pioneer turntable is the Exclusive P3a. It's built like a tank (47kg), it's direct drive, and has a S/N ratio of 95db. 95db is EXTREMELY high! And it cost a couple of fortunes.

I am completely aware that to say which one of these are best, is somewhat a discussion of what is best of belt drive and direct drive...

When you take a look at the high-end turntables, you can buy today, none of them have direct drive.

For me, these EXCLUSIVE TTs don´t belong to the Vintage Pioneer gear we are talking about :no:
I was talking about TT far under $1000,-.
I love that EXCLUSIVE stuff, but I stopped thinking about them :yes:

arrow 68 said:
I have seen a few Pl 51's, and they look similiar, but are far from being the same. The 51 uses some lame veneer, over particle board, where the 71 is Solid Wood. The Pl 71 is also completely manual, so be advised. I really like mine. I was informed by a knowledgeable Aker, that the Arm is made by Jelco, which makes nice arms, after I checked, and did some research. I was lucky, and got it cheap. Here's a PL 71, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190093281874&fromMakeTrack=true.

Actually, the PL-51 is a manual, direct drive. Here is a link to another auction for the same table that I got..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-PL-51-T...ryZ64625QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

arrow 68 said:

PL-51 is direct drive and has almost the same design as PL-71.
I wrote it before in this forum, that PL-71 was the last TT Pioneer build in real wood veneer. PL-51 has vinyl veneer :yes:
I know the differences between them.

Back
Top Bottom