Which are the best Pioneer turntables?

I've got the PL-A35, operates both as an Automatic or Manual, Love it but I also Have a JVC QL-Y5F that I like just as well if not better. I'm wondering though, anyone ever compare the PL-707 to the JVC QL-Y5F? They sure do appear to be very similar.

Don't have that JVC so no. But I can say that the PL-707 is an excellent table probably one of the best they made in the 80's, second only to the PL-90 if you don't include the japan only models. It certainly is the nicest table I have ever had. It is super quiet and the auto functions are very smooth unlike my PL-950 where they were horrible forcing me to always set the needle on manually.

Patience to getting the one you've learned to want shouldn't stop you from picking up one of the many "only" decent ones mentioned here to "hold you" for the big find with the best ones mentioned. I just tuned up my just found PL-530 and calling it "only decent" does not take away from it's real performance quality. (With a nice cartridge, can only imagine the hair spitting has to begin around this league of Pioneer TT?)

For me and an admittedly "shallow attitude" with worshiping the impact of a wood finish in vintage,I keep same with same priority. (I really like nice Sansui too but the "Sansui-ization" concerning the vinyl on the PL-530 drives me nuts....veneering imminent.)

My 'low end' PL-12D has been just perfect thru the years with a high end old school Stanton stylus. Rebuilt it and kept the belt new and every thing else pristine. So, I have to agree- don't just look for bargains on high end models- find or keep one that has been kept pristine and worked like it was supposed to in the first place. In these non-vinyl times, unless youve got mint albums youre going to use it for that haven been hermetically sealed lol, you are not going to notice that much difference in most models.. Not for the common man.

From 1976, the line up was:
Belt:
PL-112D Manual
PL-115D Semi
PL-117D Auto

Direct Drive:
PL-510 / 510A Manual
PL-530 Auto
PL-550 Quartz Manual, VTA adjustment
PL-570 Quartz Auto, VTA adjustment

The S/N and wow specs on the DDs were identical, just differ by features. Naturally the autos were a little heavier than the manuals.

The next generation was 1978:
Belt: PL-512(M), 514(S), 516(A)
DD: 518 (M), 520(S), 540(A), 560(AQ), 610, (SQ), 630(AQ)

The PL-610 and 630 differ from the rest of the pack with floating suspension and VTA adjustment.

Next came 1979. The top of the line was the PL-600, which was again Quartz, floating suspension, VTA adjustment.
They added a few more models to that line in 1980, but no new high end model.

In 1981 they began producing lighter, straight arm tables with the PL-2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. Never saw an 8 or 9 or encountered anyone with one, so no idea of the quality. There are some folks here with lower models.
This is what I have:
(3) PL-630
(1) PL-610
(1) PL-600

Also have the SX-1050 and SX-1250...All Silver for me...

Back
Top Bottom