Which Capacitor to use

pjf610

20171116_182402.jpg 20171116_182428.jpg Hi All, question what determines which of these cap's to use in a circuit they are both 50V1uf one polarize the other not or does it matter

Thanks
Pat

Not that simple, many considerations, bipolar required? available space? exact application/position in the circuit... cost? perceived "sound signature" blah! blah!
For audio path, generally film perferred over electrolytics, lower dielectric loss, however available space is an issue so MKP are often too large, means going to MKS
however some think the "sound" is affected. More importantly to remember, you can't use a polarized cap where a bipolar is needed.

In most applications, a film will be at least as good as or better than an equivalent electrolytic unless there is a fit or price issue.

(edited for clarity)

Last edited:
Small value film caps in place of electrolytics are fine. And should last much longer. I replace small value electrolytics with film caps often. Wima stack films are a good choice as well.

WIMA MKS2 are small, but only carried by Mouser, last I knew. Digikey and Mouser both sell Kemet R82, which is equivalent.

The Kemet R82 is a fine alternative to the WIMA MKS2.

I tried both of them in 1uf value on a Sony tone board, where caps seem to really have an effect. I also tried an Elna Silmic II and I preferred both film caps by far. I really like the Silmics generally. I could not say if I preferred the WIMA or the Kemet as both sound very good.

Back
Top Bottom