Which do you use, soldering iron or soldering station?

Soldering Iron or Soldering Station?

• Soldering Iron

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • Soldering Station

Votes: 50 79.4%
  • Gun

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
I have a weller 25 watt pencil that came with one of my heathkits about 40 years ago and still works. Maybe update to newer weller station one of these days, but this one works for me.

I used to use a top of the line Weller with variable temperature/ digital display for 20+ years, it is a good tool, but I purchased a Metcal RF. Wow what an station! Very easy to swap tips compared to the Weller. Highly recommend Metcal.

Metcal MX-500P for me, with the matching desoldering gun. Best soldering tool I've ever used, for sure.

Before that I had a Weller WTCPN for many years (201 version). Still do, but it's been retired since the Metcal system moved onto my bench.

Went from this:

soldering_station.jpg

to this:

t-18150-488.jpg

John

Can you tell me more about the desoldering gun? Don't you need a source of air with the Metcal gun?

I use a Weller WTPTC station and a Hakko 472D desoldering station. My ancient Craftsman gun went open circuit on the primary of the transformer so I'm on the hunt for something now.
I would recommend anyone get at least a decent soldering station if you're going to do work on anything you like. The pencil irons work ok but once you get a nice station you'll wonder why you suffered for so long without.

At work I use a soldering station. Metcal to be exact.

At home for about a year or two I have used a soldering iron after the Weller adjustable temperature soldering station I have broke the heating element and I have yet to buy the replacement.

I much prefer the Metcal as it is ready to go in 6 seconds after turn on.

Plus it doesn't lose heat from being on a large connection as quickly as others do.

It also sets the temperature automatically based on the tip used.

The cheapo soldering pencil I used takes forever to heat up and loses heat quickly on large connections.

Used a Weller WTCPN , then Hakko 926, 936 stations at work. Have a 936 knockoff for home use. JP like how serious you are about soldering.

Thanks! There's an FA-430 there too. The synthetic fluxes make me really sick. I can solder with just about anything, but better tools makes it so much easier.

Yes. At the moment that means I have to do my desoldering down in the garage, but one of these days I'll run a small air line upstairs to the room where my bench is set up currently. It's directly above the garage, so not difficult to plumb.

John

Can you tell me more about the desoldering gun? Don't you need a source of air with the Metcal gun?

Hakko FX-888. Not the digital one, the one before it. Had it for years now and I really have nothing bad to say other than I really wish it wasn't blue and yellow. It works well enough that i can ignore the colors though.

I also have an 808 desoldering iron. Love the performance, just wish it wasn't as large and chunky. I understand the replacement is a little less chunky in the hand though.

Yes. At the moment that means I have to do my desoldering down in the garage, but one of these days I'll run a small air line upstairs to the room where my bench is set up currently. It's directly above the garage, so not difficult to plumb.

John

I love the Metcal desoldering gun.

By far the best most comfortable easy to use one I've ever used.

My Mastercraft 20/40 watts soldering station just died after 8 years, dosn't heat anymore.

So I bought two Weller soldering irons, one 25 watts SP25NUS and one 40 watts SP40NKCN, both have LED lights.

I did cut the spring of the Mastercraft base to accomodate shorter Weller irons, for the tip to not touch the spring and loose heat.

I hope they will work great, not yet tested.

Last edited:
The last uncontrolled temperature Weller iron I bought burns up tips pretty quickly. I bought a temperature controlled Weller WP25 and I am happy with it. The tips are lasting a long time. It solders better than those cheapies too.

Back
Top Bottom