Which Eico do you guys love?

Discussion in 'Eico Place' started by Bill Haywood, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Bill Haywood

Bill Haywood Member

A friend of mine had a old mono Eico that weighed a ton. With no cage with the vacuum tubes glowing. I remember it sounding sweet. It has been over 40 yrs. but I have never forgot.
    An Eico is on my wish list and would make for a fun rebuild. Question mono or stereo?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8642 Subscriber

I picked up a nice little HF12a mono a while back to add a center channel to my classic quad. Mostly because it fit the space I had available (it's the silver face next to the table) but with a minor restoration and new tubes, the beastie really sings. Just got done with a session in fact ...

[​IMG]

Main thing to consider is a lot of them were a "Willamston" design which is prone to hum. You can usually tune that out with a lot of patience and quality matched tubes.

drtool likes this.
  3. FB night

FB night AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have experience with the hf-81, hf-86, hf-87, st-70 and st-40. The 86 and 87 are amp only, but with level adjustments, the 81, 70 and 40 are integrated with preamps. All would be worth the effort to restore and listen to. Have a Classic Series 2080 integrated downstairs I would like to restore someday also.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  4. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8642 Subscriber

Also worth noting, I understand some of the "standard" inputs of the day (like tape head?) can be converted fairly easily to today's line level if you need a more flexible pre.

5. vendo81

vendo81 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've owned a HF87 and HF89 and both were wonderful amplifiers. I added a small power supply to the HF87 as it originally used bias voltage from one channels output tubes to run tube filaments. Strange money saving design. Still have a HF87. Had a pair of HF60's many years ago that had a very nice sound but I traded them when I bought the HF87 and later the HF89. The HF85 is a good sounding preamp with just a few mods. Their volume controls are often bad. The ST70 is one of the finest integrated amplifiers I've heard. They are often overlooked as many don't like their style.

Most have a reputation for sounding good as Eico used quality transformers. All I mentioned except for the HF60 are stereo.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  6. TBL_HK

TBL_HK Active Member

I own an HF87 to which I added a choke and it sounds quite undistinguishable from my three Matantz 8b. At one third to one fourth the cost of 8b, the HF87 is a great thing.

Terence

7. Ohighway

Ohighway Wannabe Minimalist Subscriber

For me it's the HF-20.

Back around 1996-97 I was searching for some replacement tubes for a couple old radios. A fellow at work told me he didn't have any tubes, but he did have an old tube amp he'd give me if I wanted it.

That amp got the vintage audio bug rolling for me.

Dandy likes this.
  8. silversport

silversport Super Member

HF-81 and HFT-92 AM/FM monaural (but MPX available)...paired with Klipsch Quartets currently...

Bill

9. Bill Haywood

Bill Haywood Member

Their is a H-87 on EBay. Guy said it has some mods and it works. So far bidding is up to 350. Very tempted but just gonna watch.

10. vendo81

vendo81 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yep. That's why my perfectly good working 8 and 8b are on shelves and the HF87 is in the house. The HF87 is an exceptional amplifier.

8b Marantz.jpg

11. maxhifi

maxhifi AK Subscriber Subscriber

Cortina 3070... Sounds good (though admittedly not like their tube stuff), and was my first foray into fixing transistor amplifiers and learning how they work.

12. IPAMAN

IPAMAN AK Subscriber Subscriber

I just got a hf-81 restored and I like it as well as my Scott el84s. Next up to acquire as some have suggested is a hf-87. I also have singles of hf-30s and 35s but they need mates and restoration.

13. Delta17

Delta17 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have only heard the HF-12. I love it. That with a single ADC 303AX is how I hear my I-pod. It owes me nothing, sounds warm, smooth, and delicious. It also throws great light on the wall though the mesh top.

Would like to hear some other models.

14. TBL_HK

TBL_HK Active Member

My HF87 makes me think of my Marantz 8b all the time. AB tests revealed favourable results to the HF87.

Terence

mcgarick likes this.
  15. RS Steve

RS Steve Tube Junkie Subscriber

I own two HF-87's that I'm in the process of restoring, but I also own a Eico 2080 integrated amplifier that is super nice sounding.

20190314_172042.jpg 20190312_091106.jpg

16. curtisls87

curtisls87 New Member

I'm new to AK, and this is my first post. I have 3 HF-30 power amps. I used to run two of them in my study and really liked the sound of those parallel push-pull EL84 output tubes. Right now, they are sitting in the garage, awaiting rebuilding. There are only 3 projects in front of them. :)