Which Empire is This?

cwomack06

Hey there everyone!
I'm going to hi-jack this thread, as my question is very similar. Recently found a guy via Criagslist who claimed to have some vintage Dual Turntables on the shelves in his garage. I drove out and found a 1234 model, with no dust cover -- which wasn't very impressive.

As I turned to leave I spotted this guy on a bottom shelf, and asked about it. He said he didn't remember buying it and didn't know anything about it. I told him, from my limited knowledge they were pretty work-horse TTs, and somewhat sought after. He said, "Two Hundred bucks."

So I snatched it. It spins and sounds great -- and I'm pretty sure that is the beefier tone arm -- and from the look of the font on the faceplate -- I think this is either a 298 or 398 model. So can anyone clarify? Was it worth it?

Thanks there, everyone.

I am combing through empirelvr’s mythic, “History of Empire Turntables” thread.

But if anyone has any thoughts, tips on cleaning this thing up, getting it to look it’s best, and sound it’s best, I’m open to advice.

— CW

Nice find and good price. There’s quite a bit of info online about plinth refinishing, lubrication, replacing the motor mount rubbers, the belt, cartridge sled, etc.
For general cleanup, I like Formula 409 to get most of the dirt off, followed by Windex (original ammonia formula) for removal of oxidation you may see on the tonearm and a few other places..then a wipe down with plain water - and finally, some WD-40 to shine it up a bit.
That one’s in nice enough shape that you may want to keep it all original. When they’re really scruffy - those are the ones to “hotrod”. Happy listening - ^_^

Hello,
Thanks for posting the TT pics.
I recently acquired a "208" from the bay. The table however, looks exactly like yours. (You got a better deal.)
Thanks UncleBingo for the detailed description. Good to know what I have.
I've been using a 598 (gold) for a long time -- the potted metal reacts with skin oils/acids especially where one might rest the heal of their hand whilst lifting the tone arm.
Attempts to clean it can make it worse. So, be careful. The metal can react with strong cleaners (windex, fantastik etc. contain ammonia.) Do not soak the surface or leave on the metal for too long.
I use nothing more that than a finger sized piece of wet cloth and rub in the direction of the 'grain'. ( A labor of love while you admire your Empire.)
I think a bit of tarnish on an Empire is part of the experience -- refinishing is a whole other subject - but I've wondered if the silver ones can be cleaned up with a bit of steel brushing or similar tool.
oops -- no pics the MacMini doesn't like the memory card at the moment.
Back later with the pics.
-- in the interim --
Did you know your turntable was built on Long Island just a few hundred yards from where Lindbergh's plane left the ground?
later.
TiM

Here's some pics...DSC08978.JPGDSC08976.JPGDSC08977.JPGLindbergh Flight Monument-001.JPG
1) Pitting near the power switch & finger lift -- a lot of Empires have this - unless the owner knew to wear cotton gloves(lint free - of course)
2) Beverage stains on motor cover -- The motor cover - flat and stable - the perfect place to set your beer whilst cueing up the next record.
3) Brown stain from the old belt. -- I didn't notice this 'til now.
4) I checked google maps & measured with my fingers -- Lindbergh's plane, The Spirit of St. Louis, left the ground, headed for Paris, France on the morning of May 20, 1927 -- about 600-700 yards from where Empire turntables were made 30 or more years later.

Best of luck & Happy listening.
I've been re-energized to rub on this coffee colored stain on my motor cover...
Thanks again for your post.

Back
Top Bottom