Which Fisher 500C Update Kit?

Vinylcafe

Linvin' the Dream
I'm about to embark on the big journey and notice 2 update kits on e-Bay right now.

One from "metalbone", which I've seen a lot (and mentioned in this forum), and another one from "tubetycoon", which is new to me.

One is 85.00, the other is 90.00.

The way the listing is written up with "tubetycoon", would lead one to believe that you're taking your life in your hands buying anyone but his.

There is also no list of components, but seemingly great documentaion.

Any expereince with either out there?

Any reccomendations?

Thanks in advance!

I have used Metalbone twice (Fisher 400 and Fisher 800) and have been very happy.

Tubetycoon is The Fisher Doctor. I have no comment on him.

I have used Metalbone twice (Fisher 400 and Fisher 800) and have been very happy.

Tubetycoon is The Fisher Doctor. I have no comment on him.

Personally, I wouldn't buy either kit and pick out the parts myself but if I did, I would buy the metalbone kit.

Search Fisher doctor on these threads and you'll see why.

-Kory

I bought what I needed for my 400 from Jim McShane. He had an extensive overhaul list for that model (and probably a 500C too) but I was able to pick and choose from that list since I had already bought the rectifier bridge for the bias supply from Radio Shack.

I was also interested in rebuilding a TA-600. Jim didn't already have a list compiled for that model but reviewed the schematic, made suggestions, and I bought the parts for both units from him at the same time.

Jim's parts quality is very good and he communicates well with the buyer. I'm a happy customer.

Last edited:
Jim's parts quality is very good and he communicates well with the buyer. I'm a happy customer.

Ditto, and Jim's kits go well beyond the basic kits in terms of parts and quality, but they do cost a bit more...

What we need to know is the original poster's experience level. If he's experienced, Jim McShane's kits are top shelf. If not, Metalbone's kits, while less comprehensive, come with great how-to documentation.

Back
Top Bottom