Which home theater receiver would you pick between these two?

aicpjim

My budget permits me to buy a new home theater receiver. I want a 9.2 channel with the latest HDMI protocol and Dolby Atmos. on the big auction site, there are two that are within my budget and within 20-30 bucks of each other. The Marantz SR-7012, and the Yamaha RX-A3070BL. Which would you pick, and why? Thanks!!

My budget permits me to buy a new home theater receiver. I want a 9.2 channel with the latest HDMI protocol and Dolby Atmos. on the big auction site, there are two that are within my budget and within 20-30 bucks of each other. The Marantz SR-7012, and the Yamaha RX-A3070BL. Which would you pick, and why? Thanks!!
Marantz.
Never Yamaha..too many people having problems and bad turn around time getting the thing back.
Same with Onkyo no way.

I have great experience with several Pioneer Elite surround sound Receivers...5 to be exact several for friends and family and myself...
I would recommend that you consider the 503 Elite or Up above this model

Marantz.
Never Yamaha..too many people having problems and bad turn around time getting the thing back.
Same with Onkyo no way.

I have great experience with several Pioneer Elite surround sound Receivers...5 to be exact several for friends and family and myself...
I would recommend that you consider the 503 Elite or Up above this model

I agree with you on Pioneer. I have one now, that's 6 years old and it was great. I'd love to have an LX-901 or 801, but they're way out of my budget for now. :-( Thanks for the response!

I picked up a leftover 501 elite demo for
$480 !.... When the 502 model came out from Best Buy Magnolia in Bloomfield hills Michigan

I'm on my second Yamaha in my bedroom system. I chose Yamaha because it had more usable inputs than the competitors.

I agree with you on Pioneer. I have one now, that's 6 years old and it was great. I'd love to have an LX-901 or 801, but they're way out of my budget for now. :-( Thanks for the response!

What is your budget? This helps with suggestions.

I think either receiver would be a good choice. Both great. But, I am a big Yamaha fan. For years, and never any issues with any of them. Yamaha AVR's had none of the HDMI issues that Onkyo experienced. No worries there. Plus, I love the sound quality of my RX-A3030. Open, spacious and detailed. Not etched at all. Extended, to me. And the ESS Sabre DACs aren't shabby. Very musical. My only regret, my Yamaha doesn't have Atmos.

Good luck.

Oh, the Yamaha app is great. A better remote than the supplied remote.

Check out Accessories4Less. Great prices from an authorized reseller of refurb units. With warranties. It's where I bought my 3030.

A4L

Check out Accessories4Less. Great prices from an authorized reseller of refurb units. With warranties. It's where I bought my 3030.

A4L

Well i just bought and set up my first avr for a third system. bought a yamaha form Acc for less....all working great expect i think its slightly under powered...but with reasonable volume levels its cable of superb sound

One of the reasons I chose a Yamaha besides the number of inputs is their use of banana jacks instead of those chintzy spring clips.

I wouldn't be able to advise you just on that description. I need to know what your budget is, and the specs of each model. What is more important is that you need to define a standard for yourself, in terms of what you want out of a receiver. Decide on the power output that you desire, and whether you want to have that many channels, as well as whether you will actually use it for home theater or strictly for audio use. Believe it or not, there are still great bargains out there for new receivers with great power output if you know what you want. Good luck.

I've had bad luck with both brands and will stay clear of them in the future. My expensive Marantz SR-6006 died 6 months out of warranty and it's replacement a Yamaha RX V377 lost it's switching function six months ago. I still use the Yamaha with an optical cable from the TV to it's input. But there's no HDMI switching by the amp between devices so everything is now connected directly to the TV.

These issues make me question the reliability of these brands as my bedroom Panasonic XR55 is still going strong after 13 years of daily use. I also have a JVC class D AVR that works fine and it's over 10 years old.

I am on board with Yamaha. I have an RX-A2030 that is on 12 hrs a day ,everyday. I listen to internet radio in the daytime and TV at night. It has been almost 4 yrs now, and I've never had a problem. I auditioned a Marantz of similar stature and did not like the controls and and thought the sound was not quite as good. I really don't think you could go wrong with either one. I think the Yamaha is easier to use on a daily basis.

Well I love my new Yamaha RX-A770, And it comes with a 3 year warranty. As far as reliability goes their Aventage series is as good or better than the competition. SQ is top notch for an AVR for both stereo music and HT use. Considering all the things (like controlling 9 wireless speakers, and internet radio, ect) this does I don't know how Yamaha does it. I would highly recommend the 3070 or the 2070. Unless you need the extra features of the 3070, I would go with the 2070 which is still has 9 channels.

I have to say that while I have no experience with Yamaha, I'm more of a Marantz/Denon fan although I've only bought refurbs from Acc for less. Of the 2 I prefer the Denon because they both have similar features, but the Marantz uses a silly porthole display which is hard to read and is bit pricier for the same features. I especially like the Audyssey room correction. While the Yamaha also has room correction, my understanding is the Audyssey is a better room correction system especially the XT32 with SubEq.

I just replaced a Yamaha RX-V377 with a RX-V479. Both units are working perfectly. The V377 was sold to a neighbor. He is using it with a pair of Pioneer SP FS-52's. The 479 is driving SP BS-22's, a Dayton CC, Monoprice Sub and Minimus 7's as rears. My bedroom has never sounded better. Both receivers were bought from Accessories4Less.

That Yamaha HT receivers have more usable inputs and five way binding posts for speaker connections is a major selling point for me. The YPAO in the 479 does more than the implementation on the 377. The 377 does speaker levels only. The 479 does individual speaker eq in addition to levels. The Android remote app for the 479 is a nice thing to have. It makes customizing the sound much easier than the TV menu driven default.

Last edited:
I've been happy with my Marantz gear I have a AV9000 MM9000 combo preamp/5channel amp from around 2001-2002 that are both still going strong and a Marantz NR1601 for my bedroom. The 7012 is a solid receiver it has HDMI ARC and preouts if you ever want to add an amp or amps for more power! I'm guessing both have preouts and ARC, I personally won't buy anything without preouts or ARC. I made that mistake with the Marantz NR1601 it has no preouts, it's a great receiver for a bedroom setup but 50WPC is pretty weak! It does have biamp ability so I can run my biamp capable speakers and HDMI ARC so it's great for the purpose it serves. Not sure what the WPC of these receivers are guessing both are around 125WPC which is sufficient but if you really want to shake the house add an amp or some amps! I'm only running a 7.2 setup but I have a 5 channel 150WPC Marantz MM9000 and an older Kenwood 2 channel 150WPC amp with an older Onkyo Integra 6.4 as preamp. It doesn't even have HDMI! I use the optical connection, I may not have all the new decoders but it sounds pretty damn good! The amps make the world of a difference! Even if it's a little older technology seperates usually sound louder/better. But if you want all the new decoders you will need something fairly new because it seems new decoders are invented so often!

My RX-V377 is on the bottom shelf. It's probably the least powerful AVR that Yamaha makes but with five 94db Fostex speakers power is not a concern.

Attachments

• P8080048.jpg
    P8080048.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom