Which is better...

JoZmo

Is a Dual 1264 a better turntable than 1225? Anyone know the major differences?

Thinking of swapping my 1225 with a Shure M75 cartridge for a 1229. Not sure what cartridge is on the 1229 yet.

JoZmo, unless I miss my guess,the 1264 is a full-sized belt-driven version of a 1257, and a 1225 is idler-wheel driven... and a few years older. Both are full-auto multiplay-capable models. On the 1264, I'd assume the noise levels are lowered compared to the 1225 because of the belt drive. Sorry for late reply; I'm going to bring my 1257 out of retirement soon and I'm scouring archived posts!

Tom

Last edited:
Hey Tom, thanks for responding but after reading my post I don't think I even understand what Duals I was asking about! :scratch2:

This swap never happened anyway so I still have my 1225, albeit with the arm not rejecting at the end of a record.
I know the part I need, just haven't got around to getting it.

Definitely, pull out your 1257, clean your vinyl and enjoy you favorite tunes!

Oh, I plan on this as soon as the new belt arrives! :naughty: Within a week!
I dunno if you've seen this site: http://www.dual-reference.com/ It's a big help to me in finding old info and such. There're parts and service places listed. Best o' luck if/when you get to fixing yours!

Tom

Wow thanks Tom, great site! How did I miss it?

By the way, you mentioned you're West of Worcester in another post... I went to college in Western Mass. many moons ago.

Last edited:
re: "west of Worcester"

... and then, then there are some of us who live not TOO far east of Worcester :)

No Duals at Casa Hardy, though, anymore... check that! There IS still a 1019 in the basement...

Yup:D Lots of people forget there's human life west of 495! :lmao:
In any case, belt arrived this afternoon. :banana: Time to put on my miner's cap and start digging in the basement to unearth my buried treasure.

Tom

Well, that was a bust. Turns out the new belt is too thick, 0.040" vs. the necessary 0.023". So now it scrapes against the shift fork, and I can't get the platter speed slow enough, even with the pitch control set as low as possible! Soooo I have to return it, because with the old belt, the speed and pitch control work fine, but it's so flabby it won't move down to the 45rpm part of the motor shaft! :gigglemad: So for the time being, I put the paperweight... I mean the TT back in the basement.

Rats. :sigh:

Tom

I have been more-or-less successful, several times, with rubber bands (of suitable width and diameter) as stopgap belts. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it!

I don't know which is better but my denon DD is very smooth and quiet plus
just feels real stable and well built, very easy to use.

mhardy6647 said:
I have been more-or-less successful, several times, with rubber bands (of suitable width and diameter) as stopgap belts. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it!
Now there's an idea! Thank you, sir! I'll look after dinner! Much appreciated! I recall fixing an old JVC CD player drawer that way many moons ago, too. The old grey cells, they ain't what they used to be...

Tom

Back
Top Bottom