Which is more important, the sound or the lyrics?

Or even this one...

Yeah Springsteen could suckerpunch you with his ballads, "The River" is another beautifully crafted underdog track.

Depends on the context for me, John Lee Hooker's "When my first wife left me." get me with his lyrics, tempo and the guitar.

I love this, don't understand a word of it.

And I also like John Lennon's attitude of , "Let the ****ers work that one out." on I am the Walrus. Nonsensical lyrics have a great appeal to me..."a mosquito, my libido...YEAH" and I'm not really into the lyrics on most Radiohead songs but oh that voice!

In the case of Steely Dan, Don & Walt's tales of the sometimes skeevy underside of society are perfectly matched by their intricate, jazzy melodies. One could spend a near-lifetime trying to decipher some of what they've written. And that's part of the appeal:)

Sound! Lyrics not big for me but "vocals" are definitely part of the "sound." I love "Yes" and for the most part their lyrics are pretty dopey, but I consider Jon Anderson's voice as an instrument much like keys or guitars.

Sound, melody, and rhythm always catch my ear first. THEN... I'll listen for lyrics/vocals. And if the lyrics are good, so much the better!!

I listen mostly to instrumentals.

I'm probably going to sound a bit unorthodox on my response to that question...nonetheless here I go.

I really believe that music has all these things that resonate within us from our ancestors. Keeping tempo is engrained after centuries of that beating of the drums and then growing up modern day influences from parents are so intertwined.

The beat is a way to move and feel the rhythms so we love big speakers...that is natural for us and we embraced it with DJ BASS BOY for example. So moving along to the melody being played by a harp has the tempo accented with notes and hopefully strike emotion we feel. Another but just as important part of basic "music" but that gives another foundation to build.

This is the part that's going to be kind of superior sounding. The mind you have when your an adult was molded by a culmination of life's experiences up to that point. I feel it's not able to be answered which is more important, but it can be argued...it's all perception and biased though. Nothing will suffice as a concrete answer proved by scientific facts discovered under scrutiny...lol

It's like asking whose better,...your god or mine. It's irrelevant.

I myself have to absolutely believe that the above average intelligence human would be the person that used their capacity to delve deep inside the music. Greater rewards are given to those who take chances because the risks are as equally Great. The example I think most of is when I smoked pot regularly as I was growing into a young man and my music taste was changing to a deep spiritual quest to understand ME. Tool was my grand finale and it's still and open book for me to interpret the meanings of the songs TO ME.

Now the risk of this was not being able to process the new ideas and stimuli. If it would have discouraged me to the point I just didn't care anymore or made myself stupidly accept I'd never grasp these meanings to me;...then I'd never be here writing this and how sad to think and know millions of people don't have the attention span to delve deep.

The rewards are greater than I could try an put into this post anyday. We need to push the envelope and get outside our comfort zones otherwise we never find out what lies beyond...figuratively and in real life that holds true.

Now is it more important than music? Instrumentals? They make similar realms when you close your eyes and that's a beautiful place to grow as a human.

I think about how we are numbed by the numbing of daily life. I can't feel how you feel but your ideas into words can describe something I couldn't ever understand about you, others, or myself.

That's the intellect bringing cause and effect into your life.

I'm guilty as charged for playing instrumental remixes louder than hell more than I listen to songs that make me ponder about experiencing life. I like DJ BASS BOY and I just dig low HZ..

No, I am not a hippie, I am not a stoner anymore, I am 27, I love music for what it means to me, and that's all that matters.

It's sounds good to me. All is well if that song tonight sounds good enough for you right?

Rant over.

BAM

Back
Top Bottom