Which is more sensible - long USB or long run interconnects?

mnilan

Folks:
I have my music computer on my desk along the long wall of an 8’ X 11’ room but my music system is on the oppposite long wall. There is no room for a configuration that gets both systems on the same wall. So I'm thinking that an interconnect run is “safer” than a long USB cable run. I've never used an interconnect longer than one meter. Whaddaya think?
Thanks,
Mike

Dave:
Thanks. I have one more constraint I forgot to mention: for the IC, I need RCAs. So, could you give me an example or two of cables that would “fit” your suggestion?
Thanks,
Mike

Try USB. The standard says you are good to go 16 feet.

There are also "active" USB cables available for peace of mind.

Using USB you have no sonic impact at all. Either it works or you need a repeater / hub / active cable.

Don't need BJC LC-1 for that, but of course nothing wrong with using it. Their 1505F cables would be more than enough. Frankly, some of the cables from Monoprice that are RG59 or RG6 style cable would work well too.

Any chance of going fiber optic(Toslink)?
I run around 25 ft Toslink and it still sounds great.
Possible your computer has a built in fiber optic deep inside the audio out receptacle.
I know Mac has them and I have read of others.

Our SA Thrift Store got all the RGB cabling that the local Circuit City had when they closed. This amounted to a large shipping box full of Steren branded RGB video cables. I ended up with 8 of those in approx. 10 - 15' lengths. I've got two of the 15' cables, stripped of one of the 3 RGB cables, spliced end to end with dual female RCA adapters that run the stereo out from my Toshiba TV to my main stereo setup in the master bedroom.

Like you there is no acceptable way to have them closer than 30' feet apart since they are in opposite corners of the room. The RGB cables are well made with low capacitance and do not seem to cause any degradation in the sound quality vs when I had both Stereo and TV on the same wall (and a highly negative WAF).

Mark Gosdin

Any chance of going fiber optic(Toslink)?
I run around 25 ft Toslink and it still sounds great.
Possible your computer has a built in fiber optic deep inside the audio out receptacle.
I know Mac has them and I have read of others.

Pdm4606:
I can go optical from the mini plug on the iMac to the Bifrost, however, I was under the impression that optical doesn't do well with hi-res files over 24/96 and most of my hi-res is 24/192, DSF and DSD. Just happens that I have an optical cable that is long enough but thought it unsuitable. Please advise.
Thanks,
Mike

Try USB. The standard says you are good to go 16 feet.

There are also "active" USB cables available for peace of mind.

Using USB you have no sonic impact at all. Either it works or you need a repeater / hub / active cable.

Ev13wt:
Does “the standard” refer to hi-res audio files (e.g., 24/192 and DSD/DSF)?
Thanks,
Mike

Ev13wt:
Does “the standard” refer to hi-res audio files (e.g., 24/192 and DSD/DSF)?
Thanks,
Mike

USB 2.0 standard. So... in essence, yes, both. And every other file container as well.

I've seen misuse of USB though. Like a "company" named Gizmo connecting Gizmo widget A with Gizmo widget B using USB female jacks. USB cable.
But all pins and signals are not USB.
:)

Low capacitance cables (<20pf/foot) are only a concern if you are running signals into a tube system. For SS, I wouldn't worry too much although I can agree on using Blue Jeans cables. They are well made, in the USA, and use Belden and Canare cable, both excellent. I once ran RCA line level cables about 40 feet, but it caused an oscillation on the far end. So, I had to add an impedance converter (aka buffer) to stop it. I wouldn't recommend going more than 20 feet.

Back
Top Bottom