Which is the best Marantz receiver?

1963Healey

Howdy Ya'll, I really love the nice warm sound of the Marantz amps and receivers. I currently have three 1060s and a 2235. I'm about to pick up a 2240 as well. Anyway, what is the most desirable and best sounding Marantz amp or receiver? I've got a line on a 2275 as potentially my next. receiver. I'm running these amps and receivers through KLH 6, 17, 23 and 38 speakers. Soon I will have my Duak 1229 turntable hooked up as well.

That's like asking someone what the best model BMW is, you're going to get 50 different answers :).

Marantz 18/19 , they never matched the build and quality in the 22xx/23xx, b series or anything else IMO after that. You'd have to own one and look at it to see what i'm talking about.

I'm not reflecting negative on the poster but the question is just plain silly and this post and others like "megalon vrs godzilla" belong in general audio discussion. It's like what kind of toilet paper you prefer? Sunday comics or the obituaries? If you've ever been to Europe you know what to pack.

I agree with the above replies, but i have myself been guilty of asking a vague question on the board before. Instead of flaming the poster, lets change this thread to "What in the boards opinion is the most desirable marantz receiver" While taking into account build quantity, performance, and availability on the used market. cut the guy some slack.

For me it's a 2385 and I actually prefer it over the 2500 & 2600 yet I would acquire either of those two in a heartbeat if it was "cheap".....fat chance of that eh!

18/19/2500/2600 for having the 'scope. For SQ and build quality, the 2330 and 2285 non-B's are the best.

My favorites are the 2275 and 2265B. For an amp I like the sound and versatility of the 4140 Quad. I had a Model 18, easy to listen to, but to warm and colored for my taste.

Haven't heard all the Marantz in the lineups, but in comparing my 2385 to other top gear, it has to be in the top leagues of that.

Thanks to all who have replied. I really appreciate it. I asked this general question to find out how I might stratify my searching and subsequent acquisition of vintage Marantz gear. I thought that the question was implicit in that I was asking an opinion. Of course we are dealing with subjective realities here in this forum, emic distinctions if you will. Thanks again.

Howdy Ya'll, I really love the nice warm sound of the Marantz amps and receivers. I currently have three 1060s and a 2235. I'm about to pick up a 2240 as well. Anyway, what is the most desirable and best sounding Marantz amp or receiver? I've got a line on a 2275 as potentially my next. receiver. I'm running these amps and receivers through KLH 6, 17, 23 and 38 speakers. Soon I will have my Duak 1229 turntable hooked up as well.

My "opinion" would be the 18 and/or 19. Individual tastes and what speakers they are hooked up to are big factors.

You mentioned loving the "warm sound", the 2270 could be to your liking. I have all 3 and enjoy each one of them.

Personally, either my ears are shot, or I can't hear a significant difference between most of the vintage Marantz that I've heard.

I know people claim that a 2230 sounds different than a 2270 o a 2275 or a 2245. Outside of power, I can "barely" discern these "differences".

Then there are some who would argue that the "real" Marantz predates all the Superscope period Marantz which are the most talked about and most popular models of all time. And that one should only refer to Saul's actual involvements which would mean that the earlier ones were the best, and of those the "tube" models? So that none of the 22XX or 23XX, or other, Superscope, integrateds or amps, would qualify as the best actual Marantz?

But now I'm just thinking out loud and I don't even know if I can trust "myself".

cnh2

Last edited:
1986 635 CSI sold it and I've never been the same since...oh yeah, I don't have a receiver but I'm running a 1060...

1984 533i

Those were the best. Also the only models of each I ever owned. :D

Last edited:
Get that 2275 and form your opinion as you find others. I'd keep the best 1060 you have, for sure though. They are reliable,very repairable and sound really good.

Marantz SR14-EX A/V Receiver | High-End

8127072251_3b1cb2608e_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom