Which Jico Stylus for V15 Type 3?

Riksta

Hi all,

I haven't posted up much on the forum so please bear with me (I normally just lurk and read).

On my Sansui FR-1080 turntable I'm running a Shure V15 Type 3 cartridge with the stock standard VN35E stylus in it.

I know good things don't last forever, and I'm thinking of getting a spare stylus from Jico to have as a backup - if my stylus does start to die I don't want to ruin my vinyls with it or even worse not be able to listen to them!

I'm thinking of getting one of the SAS stylus' for my unit, but am a bit torn between the VN35 SAS & the VN35HE SAS, which one would you guys recommend as a better stylus for the cartridge?

VN35 SAS - http://stylus.export-japan.com/product_info.php?cPath=18&products_id=1045

VN35HE SAS - http://stylus.export-japan.com/product_info.php?cPath=18&products_id=1047

I was looking at going for another genuine Shure stylus for it, however the prices on eBay for them are going through the roof every day. I was kinda lucky when I got my cartridge that the prices hadn't skyrocketted, but yeah I don't really want to have to go back to my original Sansui cartridge/stylus if I can help it.

Thanks in advance
Rik

Hi all,

I haven't posted up much on the forum so please bear with me (I normally just lurk and read).

On my Sansui FR-1080 turntable I'm running a Shure V15 Type 3 cartridge with the stock standard VN35E stylus in it.

I know good things don't last forever, and I'm thinking of getting a spare stylus from Jico to have as a backup - if my stylus does start to die I don't want to ruin my vinyls with it or even worse not be able to listen to them!

I'm thinking of getting one of the SAS stylus' for my unit, but am a bit torn between the VN35 SAS & the VN35HE SAS, which one would you guys recommend as a better stylus for the cartridge?

VN35 SAS - http://stylus.export-japan.com/product_info.php?cPath=18&products_id=1045

VN35HE SAS - http://stylus.export-japan.com/product_info.php?cPath=18&products_id=1047

I was looking at going for another genuine Shure stylus for it, however the prices on eBay for them are going through the roof every day. I was kinda lucky when I got my cartridge that the prices hadn't skyrocketted, but yeah I don't really want to have to go back to my original Sansui cartridge/stylus if I can help it.

Thanks in advance
Rik

Good question, and sort of strange as well.

But I suspect the two are only a difference in how JICO listed this Stylus replacement on their website, and that there is no actual difference between the two replacement you list, that they are one in the same.

Note they are the same price. Go ahead, and order whichever you feel like, I don't believe there is any difference, both are the exact same JICO SAS Stylus on board.

I have one here for my own type III, bought a few years back.

The nude shank SAS Stylus is bonded to a Boron Cantilever, and this Boron Cantilever is sleeved with a very tiny tube onto a more standard aluminum Cantilever as it enters the Cantilever Tube on the Stylus Assembly.

Set-up might be a bit more critical (VTA-VTF) with such a Stylus Profile, this is usually true with such Styli, as it is essentially a Line Contact, or what Shure referred to as a Micro-Line Stylus profile.

Not cheap, but it is the best aftermarket Stylus available for the Shure.
Mark

Shure V15 III cartridge came with three different stylus.

(Also:

Spherical - VN35G) courtesy of flavio81

Elliptical - VN35 and

Hyper elliptical - HE - VN35HE

Therefore two different listings.

The SAS replacement is the same for either configuration though.:music:

Last edited:
And the HE was a Shure upgrade stylus released after the V 15 Type IV was released in 1978. The Jico HE therefore would give you original performance to the Shure upgrade as they are similar quality. The SAS would be even better than Shure ever offered.

Shure V15 III cartridge came with two different stylus.

Elliptical - VN35 and

Hyper elliptical - HE - VN35HE

Therefore two different listings.

The SAS replacement is the same for either configuration though.:music:

Also:

Spherical - VN35G

Thanks for the info guys. I know there was a difference in the originals, elliptical and hyperelliptical so was just wondering which would sound better, but if these SAS ones are exactly the same it doesn't matter.

Will look at ordering one in the next week or so.

Thank you once again.

Also, as well as the Spherical, elliptical and hyperelliptical, I believe there was also a Microreach (MR) made by Shure for the Type 3.

Thanks for putting up this post . The tip on my V 15 III went AWOL . I was looking at the prices on a replacement....YIKES !:yikes:
Mine came on a Dual 606 TT that I got for $15 on CL . I babied that thing . So I guess I'll have to break out the crow bar and pry open the old wallet .

At least as far as the V15-III came, it is, IMHO. I own 3 V15-III's, one bought new in the 70's and another a few years back, and another came on a my Dual CS721. The first I bought for use with my 1219 was the standard elliptical and a huge improvement over the cart I was using back then, a much lower Shure. Later when the HE's were really here to stay, I bought an HE replacement stylus, and I thought it was better than the original enough to swap and use it. FF many years, and I had sold my original Dual, but kept the V15, and styli, and when I got the 2nd V15III, I ponied up, based on recommendations here for the SAS when they were like $90. It is almost as big an improvement over the HE, as the HE was to the original, again, IMHO. ENough that I bought another as a spare before he huge price increase a year or 2 ago, just in case. If it has any fault it is that it is too revealing. Merciless on noisy LPs. I also have a V15-II, IV, and a V in P mount. The V is amazing on my Revox B791, which is hard to compare against other TT's. I have maybe 5 or 6 other Shures as well..I just like their sound, though I do have other brands to compare against. My Van denHul is my only MC, and I like it a lot, but totally different arm requirements over the high compliance Shures.

I own a V15 Type III, a V15 Type IV, an M91ED, 2 M95EDs and an M97Xe plus a bunch of Pickerings and Audiotechnicas. The only Shure that doesn't have a Shure stylus is the V15 Type III. I have the Jico SAS (special tracking) stylus on it for several years, since I broke the VN35MR stylus that was on it when I bought it new. I have been looking for a VN35MR or a VN35HE (Under 300 bucks) to replace the JICO, because the JICO just does not match the sound of the V15 Type IV with a VN45HE stylus. And, I remember that the V15 Type III with the original VN35 MR was better sounding than the Type IV with the VN45HE when switched on the same turntable and same system.

That's why I continue to say that I don't agree that the JICO SAS sounds superior to the OEM stylus. Unless the VN35MR is substantially better sounding than the Shure VN35HE.

Back
Top Bottom