Which Kenwood integrated has the best pre?

Gregdeerberg

I have a Pioneer Spec 4 and a Phase Linear 400 amp but I don't have a pre. I've read how great the Ka7300's pre's are. What about the 9100, 8006, 801 or any others? How do they stack up to the 7300? Are there much differences between them? Thanks!

Why not get a Basic C2 preamp, if all you need is a pre? It's a wonderful piece of equipment.

They sell for about the same as a 7300 and I don't like the look. Looking for a silver face. If my amp ever craps out then I could use the internal one.

They sell for about the same as a 7300 and I don't like the look. Looking for a silver face. If my amp ever craps out then I could use the internal one.
I get that. I was just curious since you already have a couple of nice amps.

Wanting the eye candy along with the ear candy. Are you saying the C2 is a better pre than what is in the 7300 and 9100?

I can't say that based on personal experience, but I do know the C2 is a fantastic preamp. Unfortunately the C2 suddenly seems to have gotten popular, and the prices they're fetching lately reflects that. Do a search here on the forum, and you'll see that they are very highly regarded. I am very impressed with mine. I prefer separates because I believe they're generally built better, and I haven't liked the results I've gotten using the pre section of an integrated with a separate power amp but that's just my opinion.

I can't say that based on personal experience, but I do know the C2 is a fantastic preamp. Unfortunately the C2 suddenly seems to have gotten popular, and the prices they're fetching lately reflects that. Do a search here on the forum, and you'll see that they are very highly regarded. I am very impressed with mine. I prefer separates because I believe they're generally built better, and I haven't liked the results I've gotten using the pre section of an integrated with a separate power amp but that's just my opinion.
I'm a separates kind of guy myself, but to help answer the OP's question I'm currently using a KA-7300 as a pre in one system and it leaves nothing at the table. Works great driving two amps biamping the speakers connected.

I'm also a Kenwood fan, have several Kenny integrated amps, but this is the only one I've used in this manner so can't really say if any others are better or worse.

9100 has a really good preamp. The 801 is slightly better, imo, than the 9100 but I like the looks of the 9100. The 801, though more rare, is cheaper than a 9100.
The 600 and 907 (which has mc input) are in another league but why just use them as a preamp when the amp is also in another league.

9100 has a really good preamp. The 801 is slightly better, imo, than the 9100 but I like the looks of the 9100. The 801, though more rare, is cheaper than a 9100.
The 600 and 907 (which has mc input) are in another league but why just use them as a preamp when the amp is also in another league.

So you think the 9100 and 801 beat out the 7300?

So you think the 9100 and 801 beat out the 7300?
I haven't heard the 7300 so I can't say (I have the 600, 7100, 9100, 701,801, 907) but the newer the Kenwood they better I like them (less hiss).
I'm curious why not just get a spec 1 (probably expense although every once in a while) or a Phase Linear 4000 (very nice and good prices).

Back
Top Bottom