Which Klipsh to Replace Vintage Altec??

SanJoseMichael

I just sold of a very large set of vintage Altecs and I loved the horns, but the speakers were way too big for the environment. I can pick up a vintage pair of KG 4.5 for about $250 or a recent production RF-62 for about $300 off the local Craigslist. Unfortunately, these are two different sellers, so no AB comparison would be possible. KG4.5 has a 10" woofer, RF-62 has dual 6 1/2's. Both have Tractix horns

I'm thinking the older set might be better (Hope, Arkansas?) but much has changed and evolved in technology, materials and design, so the newer set (Contract MFG in China?) might be great, too.

100% music, I have no interest in home theater movies with exploding helicopters. Amp most likely a vintage Scott 222c tube amp or some variant of a Magnavox tube amp. May use a lower output solid state NAD as well. Mostly jazz, female vocals, classical.

Any advice or opinions?

klipshcompare.jpg

If specs keep you up at night, i can't help you.

But, if you want to listen to them my advice would be to expand your search and up your budget to Forte's.

The Forte has better extension and is better balanced than the 4.5 IMO, and it's footprint isn't that much larger than the 4.5.

But, i'm an Altec guy so what do i know? ;)

Specs are second to ears.

Forte might be nice, K horns might be nice, Heresy's would be nice, 7's might be nice, Voice of the Theaters were nice, but that was not the question.

Earlier Klipsch (not earliest or current Heritage) like KG series versus recent Best Buy floorstanders, what might be a better choice for point to point handwired tube amps for classic jazz??

Sounds like you advise earlier Klipsch over later.

I just bought a very nice pair of KG 5.2s and absolutely love them, just my opinion but do not buy the floorstanders at Best Buy not even close. Last night I listened to Diana Krall, Art Pepper, and Miles and wow I just love these speakers they are just a fun speaker and really make me enjoy my music. I would love to hear some Fortes at some point and I believe they are a great speaker from all the reviews I have read, I can say the lower priced HT klipsch stuff is not even close to some of their vintage speakers.

You don't say which Altecs you owned. But I can guess they were two way and the typical smooth high end if you had sectorial horns and the bass was a little on the warm side. You are not going to be happy with the Klipsch if you still have your HF hearing capability. All the RF series are little on the edgy side and the bass though not bad isn't as dynamic as your Altecs were. I would be looking for pre-owned Forte's and Chorus models from the heritage series. Depending on the version the highs will be smoother and the sound will be as dynamic as you remember. For a smoother sound maybe a pair of two way CF-3 or 4. I prefer older Cornwalls, but they do take up a lot of floor space.

Diana Krall, Dave Brubeck, definitely Miles Davis. So far the recommendation is earlier Klipsh, larger KG series or even CF. I've rarely seen Forte's or Chorus on the local Craigslist, but I will keep my eyes open, and expand my search area. Thanks!

(My Altecs were kind of homeowner VOTTs, I think. Low frequency drivers were 15 inch 803B, high frequency drivers 802D with sectoral horns are 811B. 16 Ohms. Crossover at 800 Hz. Cabinets were 43 tall, 21 wide and 20 deep. Ran them with vintage tubes.)

(I do wonder about the difference between "audio" and HT speakers. I assumed a modern floorstanders would do well for 2 channel audio. Any opinion on Klipsh 6 1/2 inch 2 way bookshelf RB-61 or RP-160M for audio??)

Thanks

You don't say which Altecs you owned. But I can guess they were two way and the typical smooth high end if you had sectorial horns and the bass was a little on the warm side. You are not going to be happy with the Klipsch if you still have your HF hearing capability. All the RF series are little on the edgy side and the bass though not bad isn't as dynamic as your Altecs were. I would be looking for pre-owned Forte's and Chorus models from the heritage series. Depending on the version the highs will be smoother and the sound will be as dynamic as you remember. For a smoother sound maybe a pair of two way CF-3 or 4. I prefer older Cornwalls, but they do take up a lot of floor space.

twiiii is absolutely right! I have Klipschorns, Heresys, and Klipsch 5.1 system..... and Altec 846Bs (Valencia)..... I gave a set of Klipsch KG4.5's to my step son and if I recall correctly they were made in the '90s for 90s music... They do not compare to any of the "heritage" Klipsch speakers... heavier bass... and not good on highs. .... taking that in to consideration they are still nice sounding speakers. BUT... as twiiii said .... go for the heritage Forte's or Chorus if you want to try out Klipsch. Just an opinion...

"SanJoseMicahel .... (My Altecs were kind of homeowner VOTTs, I think. Low frequency drivers were 15 inch 803B, high frequency drivers 802D with sectoral horns are 811B. 16 Ohms. Crossover at 800 Hz. Cabinets were 43 tall, 21 wide and 20 deep. Ran them with vintage tubes.)"

Those are the same as mine..... the Valencias... if the base section has port holes it's the 846B.... no port holes.... 846A

Example Altec 846B.jpg

Diana Krall, Dave Brubeck, definitely Miles Davis. So far the recommendation is earlier Klipsh, larger KG series or even CF. I've rarely seen Forte's or Chorus on the local Craigslist, but I will keep my eyes open, and expand my search area. Thanks!

(My Altecs were kind of homeowner VOTTs, I think. Low frequency drivers were 15 inch 803B, high frequency drivers 802D with sectoral horns are 811B. 16 Ohms. Crossover at 800 Hz. Cabinets were 43 tall, 21 wide and 20 deep. Ran them with vintage tubes.)

I have Altecs with the same drivers and basically the same size cabinet, and also have had various Klipsch speakers, hopefully I can help. I am listening to my Cornwall IIs now. But of the smaller ones I've had, I was seriously impressed by both KG4 and KG4.2, so I'd imagine the KG4.5 is good. I also had Forte II which were great - it's hard to lose. But if you liked the sound of your Altec and had the space, Cornwalls would be the most equivalent, although since you're size-limited you'd probably be happy with those 4.5s. I can't comment on bookshelf Klipsch though, never had any.

Last edited:
I have KG4 and KG4.5. While different designs and looks, I like the sound of both very much. Neither is a bad choice. I slightly prefer KG4 for music and 4.5 for HT, but both work well either way.
Of course my Heresy III are my favorite for music - just an amazing speaker when set up right.

Many thanks to all for advice. I may pick up the local 4.5's and if they sound good, I could do the Crites upgrades on the horns.

Back
Top Bottom