which Luxman for Dynaco a25

mique

I'm buying an amp for my Dynaco a25. I'm leaning towards Luxman, either L-3 or L-220/230 or L-116A. Any suggestions. Price range is 150-250 eur.

Thanks to anyone that can help me with decision!

Last edited:
One of my systems was a Marantz 2010 with A25s, very very nice.
The 2010 only puts out 10-12/channel, low-powered but a great match-up to A25s

All the models you listed are essentially the same, circuit wise. All good amplifiers.

All the models you listed are essentially the same, circuit wise. All good amplifiers.
so it doesnt really matter if some have more output power than the others (range is from 40 to 60)? All sounds practically the same, right?

These Lux units should have a family sound to them but they will be different. Can you listen to them? I would expect the the Duo-ß units to be a little cleaner sounding and maybe the L3 being a bit smoother but I haven't heard any but the L3. Earlier gear from Luxman was a bit nicer but these aren't bad and I would be happy with any of them. The power ranges from 42 for the L3 to 63 for the L230 so all will meet Kent's 35 wpc requirement. If the L3 has bottom connections for the wiring like the L5, that is a pain in the connections.

so it doesnt really matter if some have more output power than the others (range is from 40 to 60)? All sounds practically the same, right?
That's right. If you used them all side by side, you wouldn't be able to tell them apart. Output power in such insignificant numbers is negligible.

I would personally go by aesthetics alone, and to me, the 3 and 116 are hideous, while the 220 is a beauty. I have one, don't need it, but can't bring myself to let it go. Too cool looking.

so much info, you're all great! :)
I'm leaning towards L-215, as it looks the most beautiful of the bunch to me (and is the only one with metal knobs - at least I think so by the pictures online) and I can get it for 130 eur. There is one L-30 up for sale, but is twice the price (300 eur + shipping). By specs L-30 has the less power of them all, but looks the most beautiful :)

L-215

luxman_l-215_front_panel.jpg

L-30

01.jpg

Last edited:
L30 is older and its performance is significantly worse than the 2xx series and similar 80s Lux men.

215 has plastic knobs but with a nice finish. Only the l400 and 500 series has metal knobs.

L30 is older and its performance is significantly worse than the 2xx series and similar 80s Lux men.

215 has plastic knobs but with a nice finish. Only the l400 and 500 series has metal knobs.
thanks for letting me know! Something else, a bit off-topic, someone locally is trying to sell me Marantz 1090. Can does this amp compare to L-2xx series?

Luxman quality is probably more variable than any other brand. I've had to-die-for Luxman gear, and some that basically sucks. My current preamp is an all-tube Luxman and I'll never part with it. I've had some of their SS gear and calling it "mediocre" is being gentle. On the other hand, their "Lab Reference" SS pre + power were magnificent.

Luxman quality is probably more variable than any other brand. I've had to-die-for Luxman gear, and some that basically sucks. My current preamp is an all-tube Luxman and I'll never part with it. I've had some of their SS gear and calling it "mediocre" is being gentle. On the other hand, their "Lab Reference" SS pre + power were magnificent.

well, it's my first amp and I didn't want to spend a fortune on it. I settled for Luxman L-220 duo-beta (near mint condition, serviced and cleaned). There is this L-85V on Ebay for 900 eur I fell in love with :)

s_l1600.jpg

it's gorgeous and I bet it sounds very good, but for my first amp to pay that much would be a bit of a stretch. Next year :)

Love the look of the L85V and especially the heat sink. One section of the ones used in bigger amps that provide a nice handhold with your fingers going into the sink to grab that pup and haul it around. Not much gear has handles built in on the back.

Glad you have the L-220. Did you get a list of what was done with the service and cleaning? This could be just checking that it did not make any noises when the controls are used and a wipe with some cleaner on a cloth all the way up to a full recap (probably not) or more probably a check of function and replacement of any parts that are causing it to be less than it should along with a cleaning of the controls with stabilant/cramoline/deoxit or some such spray.

You can get the OM and SM over on VE if you register. They have a lot of manuals for gear and in this case they have both for your unit. Should be a great unit for those speakers.

The L85V would be a significant downgrade from your L220, performance wise. The 85 might be a cooler beast, though. None of Luxman's 70s offerings can compare to the early 80s duo-beta amplifiers. They are simply that good.

I have finally put all the parts together. Sounds (and looks) amazing!!! so happy :)

IMG_20170126_091431.jpg

IMG_20170126_094849.jpg

Last edited:
Sure you can but I don't see the point in it. It should draw about 20 watts at idle, and that adds up.

The voltage regulator circuit for the lamps runs really hot though. May burn a hole through the PCB given enough time. :p

Back
Top Bottom