Which manufacturers would you like to see at MAF 2005?

BrianB

AK Vendor Emeritus
Subscriber
Greetings, everyone!

As gonefishin has announced earlier in this forum, Venus Hi-Fi will be hosting the 2005 Midwest Audio Fest here in Bloomington, Indiana. I am still in the process of figuring out exactly when MAF 2005 will be held (it could take place anywhere from May through August), but I have already begun to find some potential exhibitors for the show. And this is one area in which I'd like to get your input!

As many of you know, the previous two Midwest Audio Fests showcased a wide range of low-power tube amps and high-efficiency loudspeakers. And while I would like to continue this tradition (after all, I'm a sucker for SET-based systems), I would like to expand the scope of MAF to include all sorts of worthy audio components that are out-of-the-ordinary in one or more ways, be they high-power tube amps, solid-state electronics, or moderate-efficiency loudspeakers. In other words, I'd like to make MAF 2005 a showcase for great-sounding-yet-affordable "audio exotica". Thus, while I won't be inviting manufacturers such as Krell and B&W to attend, I think it would be great to include companies such as Brinkmann Audio and Living Voice...

So, which manufacturers would YOU be most interested in seeing at MAF 2005? Again, what I'm looking for are enticing audio components that fall outside of the mainstream. And please feel free to renominate attendees of the last two MAFs - there were, after all, some KILLER systems at these shows!

Cheers,
Brian
Venus Hi-Fi

Last edited:
Just to get the ball rolling...

While I have yet to begin actively canvassing potential exhibitors for MAF 2005, I have mentioned the event to a number of manufacturers and distributors, and here is a list of the companies that have indicated a strong interest in attending:

- Audio Note
- Cain & Cain
- Croft
- Harmony Audio
- Jolida
- Kochel
- Living Voice
- WAVAC

In addition, Musical Surroundings - the U.S. importer for Aesthetix, Basis, Benz-Micro, clearaudio, Graham, Koetsu, etc. - have said that they would like to attend, schedule permitting. Given the strong analog bent of the last two MAFs, I think that Musical Surroundings would be a very cool addition to the show.

Again, I have yet to contact most of MAF's previous exhibitors, and there are a number of new potential exhibitors that I would love to secure. But I would really like to get some feedback here.

So, let me ask one more time: WHO WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE AT MAF 2005?

This is a bit of a teaser but I'm planning to be showing an outstanding lineup of high quality electric radiant space heaters and BBQ's I'm having manufactured for my own marque. I'll be making the announcement soon here first on AK!

I'm heating my listening room with a sample heater right now! :)

Last edited:
This electric heater converts easily to a BBQ with an optional stainless steel grille for cooking burgers and steaks! :D

Last edited:
Rob, after looking at the second photo of your amp...I can't help but wonder if your going to call the amp Caged Heat :p:

BrianB...I have already mentioned some manufacturers I would like to see...but can't emphasis enough that it would be great to have all the existing guys back.

In addition to the previous companies. I wouldn't mind seeing a few others...

• Doc Bottlehead
  • Moth Audio
  • DIY cable and Adire audio
  • Jack from Electra-Print
  • Avantgarde-Acoustic
  • JBL (pro)
  • TAD
  • Klipsch
  • Steve Deckert
  • Jeff Korneff

just to name a few.

But I would still hope that this event could be pulled off by letting the no-name DIY'ers participate too. It would be great if it was affordable for DIY'ers to get a room and perhaps set up their systems for others (like me) to see and hear. These guys really have nothing to gain, except pride, from hauling their equipment there...renting a room...setting their system up...and being open to all criticism. It would be good if they could be accommodated to being participants in the show...without having to fork over the same amount of money as the exhibitors who sell their stuff.

You also may wan to ask some people at other boards too...I'm sure they have some great ideas.

thanks for asking :)

Rob: Now THAT's what I call a teaser! I can't wait to see and hear your new offerings.

gonefishin: Thanks for the list - there are quite a few names there that happen to be on my list of folks to call as well. And yes, everyone from MAF 2003 will most definitely be invited back.

Regarding DIYers, believe me when I say that I am hoping to INCREASE the presence of DIY and vintage gear at this show! More on this topic later...

A few manufacturers I'd like to see represented:

Mirage (I've only heard bookshelves and they are impressive)

Axiom

Sota

Well Tempered Labs

Martin Logan

Dehavilland

Marantz & Pioneer (we could bring our vintage stuff and compare it to current offerings :D)

How bout McIntosh ? :D

Can't recall the name of the company from last years MAF but I remember a Sota being there as well as a couple of other tables. There was also a fair amount of vintage hear at MAF but most was Tubes.

I would like to see the Chicago Horn Club set up at the next one since I enjoyed their setup very much. The Tannoy was very sweet sounding. And where else can you hear vintage Altecs ?

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a nice line up of Music Hall MMF's and or Rega's set up next time around. They are prolly the most sold tables and therefore the most asked about models. The more tables the better !

I would love to hear more Audio Note gear to. Few others might be

Sumiko/SME
Buggtussel
Musical Fidelity
Maggie
VPI

I am sure I will think of others.

Grumpy

Brian...I almost forgot.

I always thought if Sheffield Lab or Mapleshade showed up at one of these events...and brought a good stock of their music with them...they could really clean up!

Now that would be...music to my ears ;)

Originally posted by gonefishin
Brian...I almost forgot.

I always thought if Sheffield Lab or Mapleshade showed up at one of these events...and brought a good stock of their music with them...they could really clean up!

Now that would be...music to my ears ;)

Great idea!!!

Music, of course, is the raison d'etre of our hobby, and I've already got a couple of Indiana's best vintage vinyl dealers lined up for the show. But if we could convince a couple of audiophile labels to show up - and perhaps offer many of their titles at "special" prices - all the better!

Back
Top Bottom