Which Marantz scope tuner should I buy?

mikey3117

Victory is mine!
I've always wanted a Marantz tuner with a scope! Which ones are better? Which ones should I stay away from? $600 or less is the budget....:scratch2:

Marantz 2110

I have a 2110. They can usually be had in very nice condition for under $350 and DIYs for way under $200 (there is a BIN on eBay for $329). Here is how I would summarize my 2110:

Pluses - nice warm 70s FM sound, fairly decent at picking up stations, there is a good market for them so you can usually find one & if you change your mind it can be sold pretty easily and finally the scope looks really cool :banana:

Minuses - somwhat expensive for what you get quality-wise in the sound department (it has 3 tuning gangs)

These guys do an nice job of comparing tuners: http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/reviewsA-N.html#marantz

Hope that helps.

most tuna freaks say the 20 or 20b is marantz's best sounding tuna. many say it's even better than the exalted 10b. i had one, completely refurb'd, that was inside a marantz 19 receiver. (same exact tuna.) it *was* outstanding sonically, if not the most sensitive beast out there. but, for $600 or less, (a *lot* less, actually), you can get a better tuna if you're not hung up on having a marantz. if you budget $300 for mods & refurb, & $300 for a tuna, you can *really* do well...

doug s.

I love my 150. They are hard to find and a little pricey because they are a favorite of collectors. Some will claim this tuner has just average sound. I found it to be fine for my use. The 2130 is in very high demand and also very costly. There are a lot of 10b's out there. Many think this is among the finest sounding tuners ever made. I have never heard one.

Carl

Toss up?

I can only related to the 120 and 150...I have one of each and for my ears....toss-up'.

The 150 has a bigger scope, so that's no doubt the price diff :D

Love both.

I too love my 150. Its ability to pick up distant stations without drift with a good antenna is highly appreciated considering there aren't many good FM stations in my local area. Even though it doesn't get as much use as it used to, that 3 inch scope is a hoot. Mine is an earlier model with the green scope which are more common than the later model with the blue scope that tends to command higher prices. Either one however will serve you well. Keep your eye on the Audiogon site which specializes in high end equipment as they tend to appear there as well as on Ebay.

Well with the scope tuners and receivers your best bet is to be flexiable on the model and try and find one with the brightest scope and no burn marks. I love the scope in my 19 but the truth is I baby the thing, turning off the scope for most of the time as new replacement scope tubes (when you can find them) are often more expensive then the price of the whole tuner used.

Lefty

Lefty said:
. . . . but the truth is I baby the thing, turning off the scope for most of the time as new replacement scope tubes (when you can find them) are often more expensive then the price of the whole tuner used. Lefty

I hear ya Lefty, I do the same thing. I use the scope for tuning, then of it goes. Also, turn down the adjustment in the rear so the scope "burst" is not as bright. It's a cool factor for sure, but don't burn it out unless you have money to burn on a NOS Marantz scope.

I've had most all tuners Marantz made in the 70s. Some of the better Marantz tuners I currently have are the 120B, 150 and 2130 (also have the Esotecs that are very close to the same as the 2130.)

The best with a scope is the 2130 of course. But which model you select, is just a matter of where you've set the budget, or what has come up for sale when it works for you.

I use tuners almost exclusively in my shop. Always have some station on while working. Fm stereo comes in very well here, so I take advantage of it.

Most all brands of vintage tuners need an alignment, and maybe a little repair work. It's surprising how much better they can preform if gone through. You don't really need to get into "mods" to get a pretty good unit.

If you want to heavily modify one, that's a whole other program

Even an expensive tuner can sound average, if not renewed back to original specs. .......These things aren't new anymore ! :thmbsp:

Shain said:
I've had most all tuners Marantz made in the 70s. Some of the better Marantz tuners I currently have are the 120B, 150 and 2130 (also have the Esotecs that are very close to the same as the 2130.)

The best with a scope is the 2130 of course. But which model you select, is just a matter of where you've set the budget, or what has come up for sale when it works for you.

I use tuners almost exclusively in my shop. Always have some station on while working. Fm stereo comes in very well here, so I take advantage of it.

Most all brands of vintage tuners need an alignment, and maybe a little repair work. It's surprising how much better they can preform if gone through. You don't really need to get into "mods" to get a pretty good unit.

If you want to heavily modify one, that's a whole other program

Even an expensive tuner can sound average, if not renewed back to original specs. .......These things aren't new anymore ! :thmbsp:
did you hear the 20 or 20b? most say it sounds better than the 2130, or any other marantz tuna, for that matter...

doug s.

Hi Doug,

I really didn't find the 20 or 20B better than a 150 or 2130. Even the 120B has a little better specs. That's just what I've experienced.

A good place to compare specs is on the Classic-audio web site:

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/mindex.html

Again, a person can't really compare just be pulling a couple off the shelf. Each one needs to be checked out electronically, and "tuned up" to reach their full potential. It just goes back to the age of these units.

Shain said:
Hi Doug,

I really didn't find the 20 or 20B better than a 150 or 2130. Even the 120B has a little better specs. That's just what I've experienced.

A good place to compare specs is on the Classic-audio web site:

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/mindex.html

Again, a person can't really compare just be pulling a couple off the shelf. Each one needs to be checked out electronically, and "tuned up" to reach their full potential. It just goes back to the age of these units.
i agree that one needs to have a tuna refurb'd to realize its full potential. the 20b i heard was completely refurb'd, but i haven't heard the other marantz tunas. yust word of mouth from folks who have. yours is one more data point. ;)

doug s.

no such thing as a bad one!

Simple answer: buy them all! With prices escalating as they have, you won't be sorry.

For real caché, starting with a 10B always impresses your firneds.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom