Which new Rock 'N' Roll DVD to get?

mg196

Johnny Thunders - LAMF
Now that the Hannukah season is upon us..oh, I'm sorry...HOLIDAY season (inside joke!), I need to start asking for gifts! There have been a slew of TOTL DVD Remasters to come out recently, including The Kids Are Alright, and Led Zeppelin's 2DVD. What are some other ones?

I know that the Rolling Stones Rock 'N Roll Circus has just been issued but havent read any reviews yet. Anything else worthwhile? :scratch2:

Keep in mind, I am not looking for any 'ol concert thrown onto a DVD, but the whole "Remaster" package: 5.1+, extras, pristine sound and film restoration.

Check over at WorstBuy. They have the exclusive on the new Elton John DVD and the Stones' DVD set. Dunno what tugs your bobber though. A live Ramones retrospective just came out too.

I have a copy of the Zep 2 disc but I haven't had time to sit and watch it. I was really hoping for more of the Knebworth '79 show. I have a two hour bootleg video of it but the quality is rather low.

USA Today usually does a holiday wrap-up of box sets and DVDs after Turkey Time.

I bought the AC/DC live at Donnington(91 maybe?) that was shot as a film,but remastered in 5.1 Dolby digital,with commentary by angus and the boys.It sounds like they are playing RIGHT there.Got it at Wal-Mart for 15,I think.

Gonzo, I cannot stress to you how good the Led Zep DVD is. The restoration is beyond description. Disc 1 is my fave with their older set. Immaculate and IMHO, this is the DVD Remastering job that has set the bar. Every other Music DVD should be compared to this. As I mentioned, The Kids Are Alright Remaster is the only other disc I have seen that can compare.

Sit down and watch your Zep Set! It will blow your speakers away, I can guarantee it!

My only complaint is that John Paul Jones does not get enough camera-time!

THE RAMONES! I forgot about those discs!!!! They are now officially on my list.

Forget the Worst Buy discs.

Try:

David Gilmour - In Concert
Sade - Lovers Rock Live
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
Roger Waters - In The Flesh

Of course, the afore mentioned Led Zepplin disc is mighty fine.

I have a copy of Water's "In The Flesh" and its one of the first discs I pop into my system when I have new speakers or an amp I want to put through its paces. Bass is little heavy (sorta Koss headphones heavy) but it gets my meters bouncing. I don't have the Gilmour disc yet but its high on my list.

On the subject of Floyd, rumors are starting to flow about a possible Gilmour/Mason/Wright Floyd project in the future.

Back
Top Bottom