1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

WHICH PROJECTOR

Discussion in 'Home Theater & Video' started by twiiii, Jun 27, 2018.

1. twiiii

twiiii Addicted Member

If you wanted to fill a 120" screen with a great picture with a lot of light from a "Quiet" projector, which would all recommend. I haven't thought about projectors since the 2002 2004 when Barco and Runco were the top of the heap.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. maxhifi

maxhifi AK Subscriber Subscriber

I can't suggest any specific models, but depending on your budget, I would say don't get a projector which isn't native 4k, and definitely if you can, get one with a laser light engine. The difference in black levels is dramatic, and there is no lamp to replace.

I recently demoed some EPSON models with thoughts of replacing my aging Runco, and was blown away by the performance of the model with an HID lamp, and even more so by the laser projector. I concluded that the advance in technology is sufficient that I'm going to wait for prices to drop so I can go laser, instead of getting the best conventional projector I can afford right now.

KentTeffeteller likes this.
  3. Duane

Duane AK Member Subscriber

If I were to get back into projectors, I would go with a laser projector as well. Specifically, the short throw type.

4. twiiii

twiiii Addicted Member

I still have my old 77 inch wide Slide viewing screen hidden up against the ceiling, that pulls down behind my plasma. Its 77 inches wide which would give will give me close to a 90" screen for a projector. Its high enough I could leave my speakers under the screen and update the center speaker to match the L&R and move the current center to be come a matching rear speaker. The only real issue is how noisy are the projectors. All the Runcos, Barcos, Epsons, and NEC's I ever installed were to noisy. And I would have issues with ambient light that doesn't effect plasmas and OLED screens as much. If I win the lottery maybe I'll get a larger OLED display.

5. nedseg

nedseg AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm still running an older Sony HS51 projector (1080i) on a 9-10' wide 'screen' (Goo systems paint on a Big wall) via wireless HDMI.
    I chose that unit b/c my projector had to hang slightly off center from the middle of the screen, and it has horizontal offset (lens shift) capabilities (many do not).
    It is nearly dead quiet, even in high fan mode (most movie sound tracks cover it, too).
    I would love to upgrade to the current 4k Sony equivalent, but can't justify it until/unless the lamp finally dies (second one).
    The current equivalent Sony LCDs? are a LOT brighter, but I do have blackout blinds on all my windows, so not a huge problem.
    Funny side note: my projector hangs right above my dining table (open plan 'great' room) - and, so far NOT A SINGLE visitor has ever noticed it until/unless I pointed it out! Not many people Look Up, I guess (firefighters Do, I noticed:).
    On some material a screen that big can be a little startling:
    projectr wreckn ball SM (2).jpg
    Happy hunting!!

awillia6 likes this.
  6. E-Stat

E-Stat AK Subscriber Subscriber

This one from LG looks promising. Project on the wall or on the ceiling!

Laser lamp life is darn good, too!

awillia6 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. maxhifi

maxhifi AK Subscriber Subscriber

I will get a long throw projector, definitely, when I replace mine. The short throw is cool, but it needs a wide angle lens to work properly, and it's a lot of distortion to be corrected.

The Epson has some fan noise, but if you watch movies at the correct volume level, it won't be the slightest bit distracting. I guess ideally, it could be in a projector booth, like at a real theater. I don't get bothered by the fans in my Runco, if anything it's just a bit of white noise which helps to make sure I don't hear anything from outside the theater room during quiet scenes.