Which R2R Machines Have...?

Adinol

I am in absolutely no hurry to get another R2R any time soon. However, I would like to know which machines have certain features that I'd like to have.

I am referring to machines used for home playback and home recordings (not studio multitracks).

The features I am looking for are:

- pleasing to the eye
- able to play 10.5" reels
- able to play in reverse (would be good if it also auto reversed)
- has mechanical VU meters (definitely not LED VU meters)
- LED counter would look nicer, but I could settle for the mechanical counter
- easy to turn L & R levels separately (on the TEAC A-4010 I have to use two hands to turn the nested controls separately)
- quadraphonic capability would be nice, too
- I would prefer if the brand was either TEAC or TASCAM

So, basically I am hoping to compile a list of machines, then keep my eye out for a good deal.

Also, I was wondering if any home stereo machine are able to play 15 IPS, or was that speed only for studio recording?

Thanks...

Have a look at TEAC A3340 with speeds 7.5 and 15ips; no LED counter but great machine. I had one and sold it since I didn't need 4 Chanel R2R.
I would also be looking to OTARI MX5050 recorders as well. I have a two track but 4track/channel are available as well.
Good luck.

Thank you for the recommendation.

Question: Are there any decks that have 15 IPS as well as 3.75 IPS? This way I'd end up with one machine for all 3 speeds.

Also, I noticed that the TEAC A-3340 does not have reverse playback. Does a deck with reverse playback and quadraphonic capabilities even exist, or are my hopes too high?

I also did some Googling on my own and found a YouTuber that mentioned he doesn't like the TEAC X series too much, but doesn't explain why.

Any thought on the TEAC X series and why some people might not like it?

Thanks...

Last edited:
You might not find what you are looking for unless you go for more pro recorders like the Otari, but few pro decks have reverse play. I think a reverse play 4 track low speed (3-3/4 & 7-1/2 IPS) consumer deck and a 2 track higher speed (7-1/2 & 15 IPS) pro deck might be the best choice so you get all your bases covered.
I always liked the looks of the X-2000R. It has a lot of features but the heads are known to wear unevenly (not as good a mounting design as the X-1000) so you need to examine used machines carefully.
The diversity of decks is what makes collecting them so fun. I own many decks and am still on the hunt....I have my eyes on a Revox PR99 MKII at the moment. One more factor you might want to consider on your wish list is the availability of parts and serviceability. Sounds like you know this as a previous owner, but it is worth reminding (the last deck I bought went in the dumpster because of this!).

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.

I did have a feeling that I would not find a deck will all the features I'm hoping for.

They are beautiful machines but space is a problem in NYC where I live.

So, since I will definitely have one playback deck and one multi track mastering machine, I'd like to clarify a few details.

I assume a multi track mastering machine can be used to play back any quadraphonic take I might buy on eBay, correct? That machine would have 7-1/2 and 15 IPS. So, were all quadraphonic tapes recorded at 7-1/2 IPS or might I bump into any that need to run at 3-3/4 IPS?

And quadraphonic tapes obviously would not be played in reverse play, anyway.

I looked at the TEAC X-2000R and I really like the machine, not so much the price. I guess I'll have to hope to find a good deal (meaning, something that really needs fixing and that I'll actually end up fixing without paying for services.)

I'll start Googling Otari to see what's out there.

Thanks...

Not recommended. Has the weak DC capstan motor (not available now) and cheaper built compared to older good Teac A series. Not Quad either. And no consumer machines save ReVox and Crown (really more professional) have real VU meters either, more like peak meters.

Also, virtually no Prosumer or professional tape machines have auto-reverse as they use the full tape in one direction, the exception is some background music reproducers.

I have an Akai GX-400D-SS waiting for me to repair it. Does all 3 speeds, quad, large reels (of course) and reversing. Dual capstan, a nice machine. Analog counter. I imagine one in good working order would be pricey.

Sounds like the kind of R2R I was hoping might exist. I'm sure there's other models.

While looking it up on eBay I also found Akai 630D SS but I'm not sure, yet if it has all the features.

Thank you for the tip.

A GX-630D-SS is one of my two working quad decks. (I like being able to dub quad to quad). It does not run 15 ips, no reverse, but a nice deck.

Multitrack professional 4 channel machines use 1/2" wide tape, not 1/4" wide tape. Prosumer is what you get in that format. I'd hunt down a Crown 800 line 4 channel machine, the best built, most reliable of the entire genre. And well supported by Chuck Ziska. Also, the best performing and the easiest of these machines to repair and maintain.

Last edited:
There is one deck that meets all your requirements except the auto reverse and quad playback - the TASCAM 3030. I have one, and it's a terrific deck. It isn't as robust as my Tascam BR-20 or certainly my Studer A807 but it's a very nice deck and the fact that it can do 2-track and 4-track isn't very common. It also has the LED counter but analog VU meters, and it's a beauty IMHO

IMG_5868.JPG

The only consumer grade recorder I know including all the features you're looking for (except LED counter) is the AKAI GX-400D-SS (must be the SS version), it has:

- 2 and 4 track (quadro) capabilities, both in record and replay.
- Auto-reverse mode (in 2CH mode only)
- Sync heads for studio applications
- 3 (servo-controlled) speeds: 3.75 / 7.5 / 15 IPS
- take 10.5" reels
- Big analog Vu-meters
- Excellent quality (for a consumer deck) tape transport with dual capstans,...
- Very impressive and nice looking. (MUCH nicer than the black/grey plastic TEAC/TASCAM's)

But all these features also have a downside:

- It's quite a complex (and hard to fix) machine and the electronics are not very reliable.
- most parts are unobtainable (which is true for most old R to R recorders)
- it's a sought-after and not common top of the range collectable deck, which means you won't find it cheap. (or be very lucky)

There might be other decks (which i'm not aware of) who could satisfy your criteria, but not a lot of them...

Last edited:
To do what you want, you need two machines. Buy for performance and durability, not as much for styling. Stick to machines with support and parts and service support. Teac/Tascam machines are down to parts stock on hand since the Gibson Guitar purchase of the company. X series parts supplies are getting dire, DC capstan motor very hard to find. True VU meters tend to be ReVox, Otari, and fully professional studio machines. Most other so called VU are more peak meter than True VU meters.

To do what you want, you need two machines. Buy for performance and durability, not as much for styling. Stick to machines with support and parts and service support. Teac/Tascam machines are down to parts stock on hand since the Gibson Guitar purchase of the company. X series parts supplies are getting dire, DC capstan motor very hard to find. True VU meters tend to be ReVox, Otari, and fully professional studio machines. Most other so called VU are more peak meter than True VU meters.

Good advice, but there aren't any. All RtR recorders producing factories (consumer or pro) have shut down their production lines at least 20 years ago and no longer stock parts or provide any service support. Most of these companies no longer exists and are gone forever... Ever tried to get an original replacement part for OTARI, FOSTEX or AMPEX ? There are still some STUDER parts floating around at (independant) Revox/Studer service centers but availability is erratic and prices in the hands of those who still have these rare parts. (read: VERY expensive). Electronics can usually be fixed, but let pass any machine with major mechanical faults in the transport section. (worn out heads and guides, defective motors, pinch rollers,etc...) or you'll end up buying 4 identical recorders to get one fully operational.

Last edited:
ReVox A 77 and B 77 parts are plentiful as is technical knowledge and factory grade repair service which is headed by Jack Clark at J-M Technical Arts. Crown has the same parts supplies going back to the first Stereo tube models, Chuck Ziska the Crown expert. Teac/Tascam parts depend on model, the A series better long term than X series parts. And on Teac/Tascam you have the awesome Skywave TDR repair shop headed by Sam Palermo, ex lead technician at Teac/Tascam factory service. Otaris have pockets of spare parts around due to the sheer numbers of MX 5050 machines in broadcast service, many a broadcast engineer can repair one, and a good tech is Bay Area Studio Engineering and Goreski.

Technics RS-1700 is the only one that fits the bill: 10 1/2" reels, auto reverse, analog meters, three speed (15/7.5/3.75).

Back
Top Bottom