Which R2R Machines Have...?

Technics RS-1700 is the only one that fits the bill: 10 1/2" reels, auto reverse, analog meters, three speed (15/7.5/3.75).

Except it has a mechanical, not an LED counter and cannot play quadraphonic tape which were "nice to have" rather that "have to have" features. Replacement parts are limited, the price for used machines is high and these machines often require a full re-capping in order to operate reliably.

Except it has a mechanical, not an LED counter and cannot play quadraphonic tape which were "nice to have" rather that "have to have" features. Replacement parts are limited, the price for used machines is high and these machines often require a full re-capping in order to operate reliably.
So, aside from (another) deck like an Akai GX-400DSS (which I would not consider in the same build class as any Technics 1500 series --- with that Akai using: obsolete LD3141 opamps, the bad 2sc4158 transistors, no direct drive, pathetic s/n ratio in the low -50db range)...why would someone buy a rtr and NOT expect it needing an overhaul by this point(?)

...why would someone buy a rtr and NOT expect it needing an overhaul by this point(?)

I certainly agree with you on that point but the Technics RS-1500/1506/1700 are known to have problems with the capacitors used in their assembly and the cost to replace them can be significant (>$600). This would be in addition to the cost of the usual maintenance work (cleaning, lubrication, brake re-lining/adjustment, head alignment, calibration, etc.) The reason I mentioned this was to let the OP know that the purchase cost of the unit could easily be exceeded by the cost of servicing it to ensure it operates properly and reliably.

Back
Top Bottom