Which receiver is better for phono?

mbaker5280

Hi all, first time posting.

I have two receivers, both sound good, but want to know which I should use for my record player.

Toshiba SA-520 - 40w/ch
Pioneer VSX-95 - 125w/ch

The Toshiba is the old silver face with the nice lighting (I believe from the late 70's), etc. while the Pioneer is a more modern (80's) black-face and more digital LOOKING, though I believe it is solid state.

The Pioneer does have a phono pre-amp adjustment knob, which does boost the sound really nicely. But it has a bunch of other surround-sound components which I might never use, so maybe the system is overkill?

The Toshiba is fairly basic, but does sound great and is loud.

So in the end, is the modern Pioneer more powerful but lacking the 'quality' of a good phono receiver while the Toshiba and its older components going to sound better without extra power?

Or would the Pioneer be all around better given its more modern components?

Sorry if this is a vague post... just wondering if there is any merit to this question, or if I should just keep trying them out until I find the one I like.

Thanks!

Whichever one works best for you is the "better" one. :) BTW, digital and solid state are not mutually exclusive to each other.

Which sounds better with your turntable?

If pressed, you could run a line out of your Technics to the AUX of the Pioneer, and have the best of both worlds. Just sayin'.

Good luck!

Of course there are differences. One receiver is 40WPC and the other 125WPC. In addition they are from different manufacturers. Phone stages are idiosyncratic to the point where there should be easily audible differences between the two receivers.

I wish I could hear the difference... I'm trying to bypass and go right to the 'component' difference... does an older and less powerful receiver sound better 'component-wise' then a more modern solid-state receiver?

Of course there are differences. One receiver is 40WPC and the other 125WPC. In addition they are from different manufacturers. Phone stages are idiosyncratic to the point where there should be easily audible differences between the two receivers.

Is that something I should know based on the power output, or what the sound of the underlying components are? What I'm trying to figure out is the difference between these units... Thanks! I didn't consider it a hobby until now!

Sorry to say that, but you are in the wrong hobby if you can't hear which of those receivers sounds better to you.

Sorry to say that, but you are in the wrong hobby if you can't hear which of those receivers sounds better to you.
Not in the wrong hobby. Sounds like someone who can enjoy the music without worrying about brand names. Sometimes it can take months before you can hear subtle or radical differences. Use what you like and upgrade only if you find something that you feels sounds better at a later time.

Is that something I should know based on the power output, or what the sound of the underlying components are? What I'm trying to figure out is the difference between these units... Thanks! I didn't consider it a hobby until now!

The only thing that matters is whether or not you hear a difference between the two receivers. If you don't hear one it doesn't make any difference. If you do, well, welcome to the hobby..

Only a hobbyist and budding audiophile would come to a site like AK and ask the sort of question you did.

FWIW: I prefer more power than less. However, it's really all about the sound. If you listen long enough with decent speakers and/or headphones you will hear differences. As to what is better. That's for you to decide.

BTW: What speakers are you using and how do you have them set up in your room? Pictures would be extremely helpful for those of us who want to respond.

AND!!!! Welcomne

If you can't hear the difference most likely your speakers are just not revealing enough, or your phono cartridge, or most likely both. As your ancillary equipment moves up the food chain the deficiencies and differences in the amplification will be revealed and more easily discernable.

Welcome to the hobby and let the wallet emptying begin ROFLMFAO.

Connect one and listen to it for a week or even several weeks.
Then hook up the other one and listen to it.
If you immediately notice a preference for the sound of either one ☝️ that is the one you use.

Got it! Thanks!

Big old Marantz speakers set up 6' apart facing the same direction, which has treated me fine in the past.

Guess I'll just keep listening to see... had the Toshiba for 20 years and never asked questions until I got the other Pioneer (long story).

Thank you!

The only thing that matters is whether or not you hear a difference between the two receivers. If you don't hear one it doesn't make any difference. If you do, well, welcome to the hobby..

Only a hobbyist and budding audiophile would come to a site like AK and ask the sort of question you did.

FWIW: I prefer more power than less. However, it's really all about the sound. If you listen long enough with decent speakers and/or headphones you will hear differences. As to what is better. That's for you to decide.

BTW: What speakers are you using and how do you have them set up in your room? Pictures would be extremely helpful for those of us who want to respond.

AND!!!! Welcomne
Connect one and listen to it for a week or even several weeks.
Then hook up the other one and listen to it.
If you immediately notice a preference for the sound of either one ☝️ that is the one you use.

Thank you!!

If you can't hear the difference most likely your speakers are just not revealing enough, or your phono cartridge, or most likely both. As your ancillary equipment moves up the food chain the deficiencies and differences in the amplification will be revealed and more easily discernable.

Welcome to the hobby and let the wallet emptying begin ROFLMFAO.

I would guess, and that's all it is, a guess, that the Toshiba might have a better phono stage simply because in 1976 everybody had a record player and phono was a key input. That was not so much the case in 1991 when the VSX-95 came out, even though it looks to be part of the Elite line.

That being said, give them both extended listens and see which one you enjoy the most; that's your keeper...

Back
Top Bottom