Which Reel to Reels to buy and stay away from?

Yes, indeed. Only simulations. And digital is NOT ARCHIVAL. I have seen digital tapes be unplayable in short amounts of time. And late 1940's 30 IPS open reel studio masters which play as though recorded yesterday. There's a lot of low level information analog can reproduce which digital can't always reproduce.

Yes. And now we might get back to the title subject... WHICH tape decks to buy/stay away from.
'Not sure but I think analog vs. digital has a place somewhere.
$0.02

Yes. And now we might get back to the title subject... WHICH tape decks to buy/stay away from.
'Not sure but I think analog vs. digital has a place somewhere.
$0.02

That might be a rather difficult question to make any general answer too, what would qualify "a valid reason" to avoid this or that deck ?

Despite we are in the year 2011, and the world as such are one big marketplace, a well reputated brand could have a limited usability , just because spareparts are nearly impossible to acchieve.

I would love to have a chance to test a deck like a OTARI - but in my part of the world, i would be a bit afraid to go "the OTARI way" , Revox'es are no problem at all, to keep running the show, they are plenty, parts too , and definitively a real runner

I honestly think OTARI's are runners too, but just the possibility to have a - for the time being - doorstopper , makes me choose a Revox, not OTARI

Did it make any sense ??

2 jan
>>>Did it make any sense ??<<<
Yes.'cept there's an MX 5050 @ work that will probably sit for at least as long as the A807's:thumbsdn::no:

oh i agree tape can sound good, just it's expensive, unreliable, and even the best like revox and technics and studer don't really come close to CD, DAT, or even mini-disc in terms of w/f s/n and durability. i would agree that some of these machines have really extended freq response but thats about the only advantage i can see, other than like i said, show and tell values. And i think that TEAC X machines with dbx, and the Akai 747 dbx are specification wise the equal to the studer rev and tech machines actually, and sound good. But you know, why would you record to one of these anyway? You're just gonna have to transfer to digital later anyhow... so the only use is transfers, and if you didn't use a good deck to record on doesn't matter what you play on...

There lies my issue with going back to open-reel. I truly believe that a half-track 15 ips open-reel tape deck can outperform any other component in your system (not going just by specs here; I mean real-world performance). So why resist?

To get this superior sound I speak of, it would require that I have access to recordings that are beyond the quality of anything I have access to in my house. If I use an open-reel deck to dub an LP or a CD, the original is still going to sound better than my dub (even if it is indistinguishable). To have my open-reel deck excel over a turntable or CD Player, I would need access to a half-track submaster from a record company, or a band demo (they all record digitally now anyways). So what would I be gaining from having an open-reel deck in my system?

And these are?

the units i have are Poineer RT-909 (highly recommended per this thread)
Teac X2000-R (Was not Recommended) thats in the shop having a board repaired. Teac A-4300SX from a garage sale. I will post pictures tonight.

Attachments

• 2000.jpg
    2000.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 4300.jpg
    4300.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0231.jpg
    IMG_0231.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Can anybody weigh in on the desirability of a newly-serviced TASCAM 3030? I wound through this thread without seeing much if anything on these units. I see one currently on Ebay - seems pricey - but as a newbie I ask for your considered opinion. I would like to add tape back into my system to replace my owned since new TEAC A6010U which is basically frozen! Thanks in advance.

Hey, I have two Teac X1000r machines and just recently got a Rt-707 , I say the 707 blows the Teacs away,Reasons ? The RT-707 is very sophisticated to be sure, but it is still a Reel to Reel , It is not trying to be a DX-7 like computerized monster. when I bought the Pioneer at a flea market for $60 the guy told me that there was no output during playback, It turned out to be a dirty source /tape button that i fixed with 1 spray of contact cleaner,which brings me to my point I found the problem by physically moving a mechanical switch and listening , If it was one of the X-1000 machines I would see a led light when it shouldn't and that would be it, I would have to send it somewhere for a diagnostic ,just like a modern car. With your budget ,you can get a fantastic 707 or 909 ,you will have much more fun, Good luck , J

That might be a rather difficult question to make any general answer too, what would qualify "a valid reason" to avoid this or that deck ?

Despite we are in the year 2011, and the world as such are one big marketplace, a well reputated brand could have a limited usability , just because spareparts are nearly impossible to acchieve.

I would love to have a chance to test a deck like a OTARI - but in my part of the world, i would be a bit afraid to go "the OTARI way" , Revox'es are no problem at all, to keep running the show, they are plenty, parts too , and definitively a real runner

I honestly think OTARI's are runners too, but just the possibility to have a - for the time being - doorstopper , makes me choose a Revox, not OTARI

Did it make any sense ??

Yes, I was lucky my Pop owned my Revox and I later purchased two Akai 7" R2R cheep just to play back late Dad's old recordings. I was looking to see if spare parts were to had,not many on the Akai without purchasing a non playing one for spare parts. The Revox .Yes new parts are still around for it
and from the pictures of mine being restored the Revox is very well built.
As I am finding out all these old R@R need new caps replaced so think on that before you purchase a R2R. This not a cheep format to just jump into if you have never owned one.

Can anybody weigh in on the desirability of a newly-serviced TASCAM 3030? I wound through this thread without seeing much if anything on these units. I see one currently on Ebay - seems pricey - but as a newbie I ask for your considered opinion. I would like to add tape back into my system to replace my owned since new TEAC A6010U which is basically frozen! Thanks in advance.
I'm not familiar with that model, but it appears to be a pro version of an X-2000M, which means that it is a single-direction 2-track recording, 1/4 track playback, 7.5/15 ips machine. If this is true, then it might be prone to capstan motor failure because the motors that the X series machines use are undersized.

Hey guys, I have had my Akai 635D for almost 40 years and only ever had one minor problem with the left channel which I got fixed for less than $80. Has worked just fine since for 15 yrs. I would love to have a technics 1506 but they qare hard to find.

Steve

Glad to here this Steve. I have two Akai 7" I have had for sometime and they still work just fine. Pop's old Revox when the heads were still good made better recordings but you have a better model Akai then I have. Tinman is restoring the Revox to like condition again.:banana: I hope you enjoy:music: for another 40 years.:yes:
Louis

Ive been thinking about acquiring a R2R tape machine, but the quick research on what to get seems to be the Pioneer 707, however they seem to go for several hundred dollars.

What do you recommend for a cheaper R2R to play with?

Ive been thinking about acquiring a R2R tape machine, but the quick research on what to get seems to be the Pioneer 707, however they seem to go for several hundred dollars.

What do you recommend for a cheaper R2R to play with?

They are a nice 7" machine if it was taken care of. Remeber this not a cheep format. Good used tapes are expensive, and finding ones that the machine you purchase is "Biased" to can be a challenge. I would look for one that plays 10.5" and 7" as later on you may want to record more songs on one side.. Look for a R2R that does not need a belt/O ring to drive the reels and see if you can find one that has had the capitators replaced and the heads are still in good shape.

Akai 4000 series (see my list) are a little less expensive and have heads that made from different material that last longer. But the 707 is a nice looking machine that is very popular. I like the RT-909 Pioneer(look Trick) it plays both size reels. 4 track heads vs 2 track heads....more pre-recorded tapes are 4 (3 3/4...7 1/2 reel speed )track but if recording from FM/LP is what you want to do 2 track 15 speed make the best recordings. The faster the the tape goes by the heads the better the recording. But it will make you purchase more tape faster. Not trying to scare you off but these are the basic that I have learned the hard way in the last few years. If you Really want to this, save you money and purchase a machine that has been restored, the caps in all of them go bad every 20 to 30 years. Belt drives need them replaced more often and if you do not know how to work on one like me it is not cheep having a R2R worked on. I like Revox as there is still new parts for them
but they cost a little more but they are very well built German/Swiss made.

Thanks for the tips...

Im really just looking for something to piddle around with, and trying to have the ability to play almost every type of audio source....so I need a R2R to cover that.

Ive been reading through the thread.

Maybe a...

Otari MX 5050
Teac A series not X....3300 series (3300, 3340, A, S, SX versions) 2300, 4300 series, 6100/6300 series
Pioneer 1020L or 1020H
Akai GX 4000D
Akai GX-635D Direct Drive

Last edited:
Im really just looking for something to piddle around with, and trying to have the ability to play almost every type of audio source....so I need a R2R to cover that.

I understand, me too I have a collection of all the tape and digital formats
that I have not listed on my signature here. Go for the 707 if it nice looking and the heads have little or No flatts on them. Try to buy on local so you can hear it play first. Good Luck in you hunt. It sure is fun to go old school on the R2r. My late Dad and Brother had them back in the 1960's.
I am having my Revox restored as I type this. PM Tinman he is doing the work on my machine and he my have a good machine that is in good shape.
Louis

Back
Top Bottom