Which Speakers are still made in Britain?

ArcamFan

Anyone know which makes and models of loudspeakers that are still made in the UK? I know that all but the most expensive B&W models are now made in China. I'm not sure about Wharfedale, Monitor Audio, Spendor, and other makes these days. I know some manufacturers like Rega do their own speakers but I'd like to go with a company that specializes in designing and building speakers exclusively.

I'm just trying to keep myself informed as to what my options are as I am planning on getting new speakers soon. Whatever I end up choosing, they will NOT be made in China. If I need to buy used, then so be it.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head...

Rega
PMC
Mowgan Audio
Neat
Kudos
ART
ATC
Acoustic Energy ("Reference" Series)
B&W (800 series)
Tannoy (Reference models)
Meridian
O'heocha Design
Linn
Naim
Proac
Spendor
Harbeth
Wilson Benesch

And probably some others I've forgotten!

Anyone know which makes and models of loudspeakers that are still made in the UK? I know that all but the most expensive B&W models are now made in China. I'm not sure about Wharfedale, Monitor Audio, Spendor, and other makes these days. I know some manufacturers like Rega do their own speakers but I'd like to go with a company that specializes in designing and building speakers exclusively.

I'm just trying to keep myself informed as to what my options are as I am planning on getting new speakers soon. Whatever I end up choosing, they will NOT be made in China. If I need to buy used, then so be it.

I own British speakers . Monitor Audio BX1s .. Superb they are ..

Sterling Broadcast uses non Chinese drivers and parts.
Falcon Acoustics sells euro drivers, crossovers, their own remakes of a few KEF vintage drivers, and partial and full speaker kits.

Both of the above are in the UK. Wilmslow audio too.

Tannoy's Prestige and higher Prestige GR models are still made in UK. My Autograph Mini is an UK product .
Those far east made speakers are still fine but not as good as the one that made from their brand's location. If you have extremely good hearing, each pair of these far east made speakers have slight difference despite they are the same model.

Rega
PMC
Mowgan Audio
Neat
Kudos
ART
ATC
B&W (800 series)
Meridian
O'heocha Design
Linn
Naim
Proac
Spendor
Harbeth
Wilson Benesch

Nice list.

Being a 36 year old Brit and growing up with British cars.. let's say we do the high end well. You pick a rolls Royce or an Aston.. even a jag. We do that well. But there's no British Toyota. You shouldn't be afraid to buy from China. Design has always been our strong suit. Mass market every day cars.. yeah we're on strike.. the 1980s pissed away our chances of having a VW or a Honda. Same with a lot of things. Chinese quality is pretty good now as long as there's a good company keeping an eye on production. As a Brit that works in production it's sad to me. All politics of the age. But If you think British made is better than Chinese. I don't reckon it is. British design. Probably. But don't get hung up on made in Britain for anything.

Rega
PMC
Mowgan Audio
Neat
Kudos
ART
ATC
B&W (800 series)
Meridian
O'heocha Design
Linn
Naim
Proac
Spendor
Harbeth
Wilson Benesch

Sad to see Wharfedale not on this list.

I just bough Wharfedale Linton Heritage, box says UK but wife has them on lock down until christmas.

Many are still designed in Britain, such as Quad, B&W (lower lines), Wharfedale and Quad, etc. Doesn't mean they are bad. At least design and QA are from Britain.

Fyne Audio. Look them up. Designers from Tannoy that moved on.

I believe the Chinese go into big "doodoo" just a while back with branding the Quad product and ended up with a court action against them.

Q

Kef still manufacture the Blades and Muon in the UK I believe. Not sure about the Reference range but all others are in China.

Back
Top Bottom