Which speakers have great DYNAMICS?

glenburro

Hey folks. I'm hoping some of you will share your experience with me.

Postings about speakers often talk about soundstage, tonal balance, imaging, bass, etc. It seems very few comments are made about the way speakers handle dynamics. Can someone out there help me out?

A lot of speakers represent instruments beautifully, but present the dynamics of the playing in a subdued way that robs the music of some energy, vitality, and swing. I've had a pair of Paradigm Studio Reference 40's for a couple of years and want to replace them because they have a slightly soft and recessed midrange that makes the music just a shade sweeter than "reality". Unfortunately, the speakers I've auditioned that had better midrange were not as dynamic.

I listen primarily to small group jazz. The dynamics I'm talking about are most evident in the volume changes within a phrase of notes. Do you hear a mini crescendo, or perhaps a sudden softening of touch in the phrase, or does it sound like the player is playing quite evenly? When the dynamics are reduced, it sounds like the players are playing in a thoughtful but calm way. With speakers that are more dynamic, the volume changes within the phrases communicate the players excitement more, and also intensify the rhythmic nature of the playing, giving more swing or drive to the playing.

Who knows of speakers that excell in presenting the dynamics of music? I would love to hear any ideas on which speakers to consider, and which ones to avoid, with this criteria in mind.

Cheers,

Burro

I would like to suggest Considering..

Axiom M80ti

Me and Dingusboy both own them and love em. great speakers. can handle bout anything you throw at em and are supposed to be as good as- or better than the Paradigm Studio 100's except probbly not as "laid back"

Being a tube lover for music listening I look to a large paper cone mid range with alnico magnets if possible. You get a wider range and can cross to a tweet at a higher frequency. If you use compression drivers, ribbons or like myself AMTs for the highs you need something that is quick to keep up. I like simple crossovers as well.
Try and hook up with some DIY guys that play with tube amps if you are looking for conventional drivers and what can be done with them.
Or as another route listen to some good electrostatic speakers or giant ribbons like Magnepans. Dynamics and presence with a loss at the low end.
The best system that I heard in a multi purpose listening room in a large chain store were some reciever driving a pair of small Boston Acoustics (about 1'cu.) and a Baby Sunfire sub. The dynamics and highs of the BAs were right on and the Sunfire was extremly quick and had a good range. This has been awhile ago but I liked this setup over all the new offerings (at that time) of Klipsch, KEF, Infinity, Mirage and Definative Technology.
The BAs were $350 and the Baby Sunfire $1100.
I listened to Rock, symphonic, male and female vocals, big band and combos. Sinatra really kicked ass.
The larger BAs were around $900 to $1000 higher than the small ones, used the same mid and tweet, but the bass was mushy compared to the Sunfire and the music lost its lifelike qualities because of it.

Speaking of Boston...

If you have any chance whatsoever, you OWE it to yourself to hear the new Boston VR series- the VR1, VR2 or VR3.

At work, we just got in the VR1- has 2 6.5" woofers and a tweeter in a 3-foot tall narrow tower. HOLY COW. I can't believe the kind of dynamics THIS thing can do! Helps that the 2.83V sensitivity is like, 93 dB! It also has bass down to the low-30s, flat!

Not bad for a speaker that RETAILS at $600 a pair!

For truly "theatrical" dynamics, though, IMHO, very little beats a large Tannoy dual-concentric speaker. Whether it be the D700/Saturn 10 (dual concentric 10" with a 10" additional woofer below it), or something more exotic like a Churchill Wideband or Westminster Royale (15" paper cone dual concentric in a waveguide horn), they'll flat out do difficult dynamics as good as ANYTHING out there. Stuff like the "hit" of a piano hammer-on-string, actually sound REAL. That's a hard test, and they pass.

BTW: If you can take the tonal colorations (it's a bit hot in the upper mids, and the bass is a bit boomy oftentimes), the legendary JBL L100 Century and its successors, also do a pretty darn convincing job on dynamics. Of course, the large studio monitors do even better... for example, a 4343, 4344 or 4345 would just be devestating... all the dynamics, and tunable for ruler-flat tonal balance, when set up right.

Regards,
Gordon.

Regards,
Gordon.

Hey Gordon:

Will ya take a pair of Boston A70 Series II speakers in as a trade on those new VR1's? :D (inside joke)

Try Klipsch...

Anything in the 'Heritage' line

Including the Forte' and the Chorus...(IF you can find a used pair..or someone with a pair....)

you won't be disapointed........
:banana:

I would say a higher sensitivity speaker would be the ticket for the dynamics. Anything in the mid 90's and up should work well. I would also look into a Biamp option for them. You going to build or buy?? The Urie monitors are quite nice and on Ebay often enough. A larger JBL/Altec big woofer/Compression driver set-up will also do well. Just don't under power them. High sensitivity does not mean they don't need power for the dynamics and control. They do. Just do the math and figure your SPL based on sensitivity at your listenning position not with just sensitivity alone. It's a whole different ball game 12 ft away. If you decide to build spend the money for the best drivers you can swing and go active. No passive crossovers in the mix to muck things up. The amp has the best control of the drivers this way so if subtle is want you want. That should get you there.

Rob2:)

Last edited:
My Cornwalls got 'em

Originally posted by glenburro
It seems very few comments are made about the way speakers handle dynamics. Can someone out there help me out?

About a week after I bought my Klipsch Cornwalls, I had put an LP on and laid down on the couch to relax. I'm pretty sure it was a Shostakovich symphony that I wasn't familiar with.

About 15 minutes into it I kind of dozed off during a quiet passage. Suddenly a tympani thundered out of the speakers so loud and quickly I jumped up and fell off the sofa.

If that ain't dynamics I don't know what they are :p: .

You want uncompressed dynamics....GET HORNS! The bonus is you also get high efficiency so that a very, very good sounding typically low power amp like a SET can be used to do the job very, very well.

Horns on tubes clearly rule, and rule clearly!

Just get these...........Oh wait you can't I have the only known pair in existence ;)

Thor,

Doesn't it hurt your back to lift that heavy speaker down so many times to keep showing us the bottom? :p:

LOL! Luckily I still have that picture cuz the only time they will ever be in that position again is if they need repairs, which I hope is never! ;)

Picture a sasquatch (but sexier ;) ) with a buzz cut, goatee and glasses and you got it. Yes I can move these 100+ lb speakers around fairly easily but I don't like to cuz I am a clumsy ape :p:

My GF shaves my back for me so I can hit the beach in the summer ;) Other than that I am low maintenance :D

Back
Top Bottom