Which speakers with your McIntosh gear poll?

Which speakers with your McIntosh gear?

• McIntosh

Votes: 48 9.3%
  • Klipsch

Votes: 67 12.9%
  • PMC

Votes: 9 1.7%
  • Sonus Faber

Votes: 43 8.3%
  • Wilson Audio

Votes: 10 1.9%
  • Thiel

Votes: 12 2.3%
  • Magnepan

Votes: 23 4.4%
  • B&W

Votes: 81 15.6%
  • Martin Logan

Votes: 22 4.2%
  • Other

Votes: 203 39.2%

• Total voters
As long as this poll is still limping along on life-support, allow me to add one more vote for "other". In this case it's JBL. I've had Macs for almost forty years, but JBL for even longer. Normally my vintage Mac was used with an even older JBL 030 system but for my main system I'm using the "little" brother to Vahe's system, a custom-built pair of JBL 4345s with a single 18" LF drivers in each cabinet, bi-amped with active x-over and cc network.

JBL-4343, that is a nice one, I do not see too many of these. The larger JBL-43XX series speakers were some of the best systems that JBL ever produced and unlike most other brands audio signal compression at high volumes is a non issue with these speakers. The main criticism of their sound is very bright and forward sound that they offer, the cause of this is compression drivers used for the upper midrange, but the output of the midrange can be adjusted both on the speaker and on the crossover.

Just like you I started with Mack about forty one years ago, my first Mac was MA-5100 and kept on trading for larger separates.

Vahe

I've just changed from Joseph Audio RM25XLs to RM33si Mk.IIs. Still trying to find the perfect placement for them, but is it ever fun! :banana::banana:

I swapped my 8k$ modern speakers for 600,-- vintage Spendor BC-1 and found my way back to the music.
It is so much better than every expensive speaker up to 10k I had before I regularly have to laugh about it.
How much time had to pass that I realized that good results can not always bought with money?
For me the MC250 and Spendor is a dream team.

It is so much better than every expensive speaker up to 10k I had before I regularly have to laugh about it.

olli, if you ever have the opportunity, try to listen to PMC speakers. The OB1i would be a good place to start and it can be purchased new for less than $5k. Your current laugh might just turn to cry!

My early 1970's Mac system: ML1C speakers powered through an MC2100 amp and C-26 pre-amp. :)

I use a pair of Klipsch Heresy IIs with my MC30s. I've also been hooking up a pair of Bag End TA12s just for fun. Pretty OK sound. I want something even better, though. I also think my MC30s are due for new caps, etc, after so many years.

It's a tangent, but has anyone tried the cap kits available on ebay for these amps?

TIA
Edwin

How would you compare the sound from your Spendor's against the Fortes? I'd like to try something else someday!

Andy

Dali Helicon 800MK2, My new Mac MC602 has really made these speakers open up and shine. Love the Mac MC602!!!

My vote is for 'other'. I use JBL S/2600 speakers with a Mcintosh MC402 &
C-46. To me, they sound really good.:music:

I have a pair of Tannoy ST50 supertweeters also-little HF addition-works great.

Last edited:
I have been running Rogers Export Monitor II speakers for 30 years. They are cousins of BBC LS3/6 and Spendor BC1 speakers. Have home auditioned Harbeth Monitor 30 and HL5's and have kept the Rogers. Still, if the Rogers finally give up the ghost, I would look seriously at Harbeth HL5's.

Back
Top Bottom