Which speakers would you choose?

Mark Davis

Given the opportunity what would be your top two choices.

SANSUI SP-3000 SPEAKERS
JBL SPEAKERS. MODEL L56
JBL LANCER SPEAKERS MODEL L44
JBL L36 SPEAKERS
YAMAHA SPEAKER MODEL# NS-A835,
POLK AUDIO MONITOR 10 SPEAKERS
BOLERO WOOD GRAINED SPEAKER. MODEL 890C
KLH BRAND Twenty Pus
KEF SPEAKERS. MODEL K2 CELESTE

Polk Monitor 10. Those are about the newest of the group depending on the version. I've had a set for about 14 years...although they reside in my beat friends garage. They are all around good speakers that you can still get replacement parts from Polk versus those others listed. And they are just good all around speakers.

Of those on the list, I've only heard Sansui SP-3000, Yamaha NSA-835 and Polk Monitor 10. Of those, I too would choose the Polk.
No first hand knowledge of them but those KEF K2 Celeste would interest me just because they're old. Early 1960's if I read right.
Not being a JBL aficionado, the list would be shortened if it were mine.

Everything is 8-10 except for the KLH which wood need some wood work and new fabric covers.

I am really looking at Vintage but the Polk speakers have gotten great reviews, The Bolero are actually Altec Lansing.

As I am sure you have read (here and elsewhere), that choosing a speaker is a very personal decision. Personal preferences, room considerations, types of preferred music, gear pairings, etc. all play heavily into this decision. I'm not going to recommend any specific one from your list, because what works for me, may not work for you. It is a good "short list" to start from, with no obvious "clunkers". All I can recommend is that you get out there and audition as many as you can, and decide what YOU like.

The Richmond CL gets a fair amount of decent speakers. Definitely "a nice problem to have". Lot's of Polk, Advent, and Klipsch speakers. A pair of ADS L710's as well. Those would be my first choice, then the Polk Monitor 10's.

Good luck.

Just from looks (of the drivers and layout) I'd do for the JBL L36. From personal knowledge I'd go for the Polks

Another vote for the Polks. Probably the most accurate and they were absolutely raved about in the 1980s when they were originally sold.

Given the opportunity what would be your top two choices.

SANSUI SP-3000 SPEAKERS
JBL SPEAKERS. MODEL L56
JBL LANCER SPEAKERS MODEL L44
JBL L36 SPEAKERS
YAMAHA SPEAKER MODEL# NS-A835,
POLK AUDIO MONITOR 10 SPEAKERS
BOLERO WOOD GRAINED SPEAKER. MODEL 890C
KLH BRAND Twenty Pus
KEF SPEAKERS. MODEL K2 CELESTE

yamaha & KLH

Back
Top Bottom