Which surround decoder has the most ambience?

Which surround program should be used in absence of full range L-R?

• Dolby Pro Logic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dolby Pro Logic II

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • DTS Neo:6

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neural Surround

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Stomp Kreshna's testicles

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters

Kreshna

...but I have to know.
I read this excellent article about using Yamaha DSP-1 as ambience extractor (as opposed to ambience generator). Basically it's performed by setting the appropriate parameters like surround program (surround decoder), various reverb parameters, and hall mode. I don't have Yamaha DSP-1, but I have Yamaha RX-V663 that I believe I could do the same thing with, since the RX-V663 also allows you to set the necessary reverb parameters like initial delay, room size, and liveliness.

From the article:

Recommended DSP-1 Set-up for Ambience Extraction
If you follow this recommended set-up, the only active adjustment during use will be the ambience volume! First, for best ambience extraction, use the six-speaker mode (four speakers also work, but you'll never know what you're missing). Next, use a program that has a L–R (L minus R) matrix. This helps to keep center-channel information out of the effects speakers, increasing your ability to raise their volume without hearing an echo effect. The L–R signal also contains a large proportion of ambience. DSP-1 programs that use L–R matrices are Dolby Surround, Surround 1, and Surround 2. I would have liked to try the "Presence" program, which supplies four independent delays to the effects speakers, but that program lacks a L–R matrix. Don't bother with the Dolby Surround Program, which has a 7kHz cutoff in the surrounds as well as a modified Dolby-B chip. In fact, I don't even recommend the Dolby program for use with the movies; you'll discover wonderful natural ambience in your film music if you use the Surround 1 program instead.

However, I am stumped in selecting the necessary surround decoder. The Yamaha DSP-1 has "Surround 1" and "Surround 2" decoders, which is basically Dolby Pro Logic without 7 kHz frequency cutoff (which is also a Hafler circuit, by the way). Alas, the Yamaha RX-V663 does not have such thing. Instead, it has Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Pro Logic II (Movie, Music, and Game), DTS Neo:6 (Cinema and Music), and Neural Surround.

So, which surround program I should choose to make my RX-V663 an ambience extractor? Dolby Pro Logic does indeed have noticeably frequency cutoff, but its worse problem is the front soundstage narrows when using center speaker. No problem, I set the RV-V663 to "no center" and use my Dynaco QD-2L for center instead. Well that keeps the front soundstage from narrowing, but the 7 kHz cutoff in surround channel is still annoying (the Dynaco QD-2L definitely sounds better in that regard).

Unfortunately I don't have the frame of reference, since I don't have a DSP-1. Moving to Dolby Pro Logic II yields noticeably better sound, but it becomes less "ambient". So, when full range L-R is not available, which surround decoder is actually closer to it?

With all due respect to the incredibly knowledgeable KT, I think you'll find the best results from Pro Logic II. It's the closest modern equivalent to Sansui QS, the best ambience extractor I know of.

Jeez, Kent, give the guy a break, huh?:rolleyes:

Cheers,
Larry B.

I'm not a particular fan of any of the choices but I do love 5.1 surround sound for vinyl playback.

I have a favorite Onkyo setting on my AVR.

Just wanted to give props to Kreshna.

With all due respect to the incredibly knowledgeable KT, I think you'll find the best results from Pro Logic II. It's the closest modern equivalent to Sansui QS, the best ambience extractor I know of.

Cheers,
Larry B.
So I've read on many forums, thanks! I knew people who really hate Pro Logic II though.

Atmos - sorry that one beats it all when setup up right.
How good is Atmos when mixing non-Atmos stuff?

It seems true discreet Atmos materials are still scarce, so I imagine most people use Atmos for upmixing non-Atmos sources anyway. How good is it?

I'm not a particular fan of any of the choices but I do love 5.1 surround sound for vinyl playback.

I have a favorite Onkyo setting on my AVR.

Just wanted to give props to Kreshna.
]
I see. What is your favorite Onkyo setting? Perhaps I could find the Yamaha equivalent of it.

Cheers,
Larry B.

ProLogic is great when the material is encoded for it or Sansui QS (which is where the Dolby matrix came from) . Better yet, hunt down the awesome Sansui QS VarioMatrix decoders, and the nice simulated Quad option on one of the better models which really makes the ambiance shine, but at the expense of AVR options. A Sansui QS Quad late model receiver for that job is best. A Sansui QRX 7500 does simulated Ambience from Stereo material really fine. And if buyable in nice order, a wise buy. As ProLogic is derived from Sansui technology, KT believes in going for the Gold directly by getting real Sansui VarioMatrix and getting the ambiance even with non encoded material often.

All well and good, but perhaps hard to encounter in Indonesia, yes?

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

Cheers,
Larry B.

All well and good, but perhaps hard to encounter in Indonesia, yes?

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

Cheers,
Larry B.
I can actually use ebay.

I just wonder what's the surround mode closest to L-R without the 7 kHz cutoff.

You can get some great ambiance if you use a Hafler circuit device such as a Quadaptor. The Quadaptor has a volume adjustment knob for the rear speakers.

My experience is that the Sansui QS/ambiance is over rated. The Quadaptor equals or exceeds Sansui QS in my opinion.

Shucks! I thought this was a trick question and we were going to discuss the virtues of SQ vs. QS from the days of Quad back in the 70's. That's when I learned to prefer the sound of Sansui over most other Oriental products.

I will say I have really enjoyed some of Sony's broadcast and Professional equipment and Pioneer Elite consumer pieces over the years.

Seeing as how this is in "general audio" and not TV, I have to say ... none of the above. I have a decent Onkyo AV receiver, and none of the modes can hold a candle to what I get out of my trusty old Sansui quad ...

completed2.jpg

Oh. SOmebody else mentioned the Hafler thing, courtesy of a Dynaco Quadaptor. I use one of those off the rear channel outputs of the quad receiver, driving two sets of bookshelfs (Gekko flat panels and Bose 161s overhead). Gives a much deeper sound field and bonus, is adjustable for effect level. :thumbsup:

rear-channels.jpg

Last edited:
Seeing as how this is in "general audio" and not TV, I have to say ... none of the above. I have a decent Onkyo AV receiver, and none of the modes can hold a candle to what I get out of my trusty old Sansui quad ...

completed2.jpg

Oh. SOmebody else mentioned the Hafler thing, courtesy of a Dynaco Quadaptor. I use one of those off the rear channel outputs of the quad receiver, driving two sets of bookshelfs (Gekko flat panels and Bose 161s overhead). Gives a much deeper sound field and bonus, is adjustable for effect level. :thumbsup:

rear-channels.jpg
So you are actually using two sets of surround speakers, like in 7.1 setup?

Which surround speakers driven by the Sansui's rear, and which surround speakers driven by the Dynaquad adapter?

The Sui's rear channels are hooked to the Quadaptor, and both sets of rears are hooked up to the Quadraptor's outputs. This does the Hafler thing with both sets and the balance control allows me to adjust the "height" of the channels. Works quite nicely.

And yes, I do have a center channel courtesy of the L+R output on a Carver H9AV. The Bose AV1 is a perfect fit for my rack and is super shielded so no RFI and such with all the other electronics up close.

boombox.jpg

Worth mentioning - there's also a couple of Bose 201's mounted mid wall about 10 feet behind the Hafler array. Those are driven by the rear B speaker outputs on the Sui for additional depth. I can adjust the output level on those using the Sui's controls without affecting the front channels, which are line driven into an external tube amplifier.

bose-201.jpg

All in all makes for an interesting mix - more of a 5.1 effect. The Bose 161's, Gecko flat panels, and Bose 201's all combine to provide a really really big sound field on the back of the room while having a bit of fun with ambiance and dispersion.

For music, they're all terrible. But I do really like them for streaming video sources that only have stereo sound. I actually prefer Circle Surround II Music mode the most.

The Sui's rear channels are hooked to the Quadaptor, and both sets of rears are hooked up to the Quadraptor's outputs. This does the Hafler thing with both sets and the balance control allows me to adjust the "height" of the channels. Works quite nicely.
I mean, which set of rear speakers driven by which Quadaptor output? Are the Bose 161s overhead driven by the Quadaptor's front outputs, while the Gekko flat panels behind driven by the Quadaptor's rear outputs? Or the other way around?

Back
Top Bottom