Which turntable should I buy, a Denon DP 47F or a Sony PS-X55?

Nordvest2

Hi,

I'm having a bit of a problem deciding between these two turntables that are available used.

The Denon DP 47F is fitted with a Audio Technica AT 110 cartridge (used, but with a brand new stylus) and the Sony has a brand new Nagaoka MP 100 cartridge.

The Sony has been restored by a professional now (the restorer is the seller) while the Denon is being sold by a well regarded member on a local hifi-forum.

I like the looks of the Denon, but the Sony looks nice to and it seems like a bit of a safer option. What would you recommend buying? The price is the same for both essentially.

Oh, I now have a JVC QL-A5 turntable with a Pickering xev/3001 cartridge. Will any of these be an upgrade from the JVC?

Thanks for the help in advance!

The DP-47f is a much higher end option than the Sony. It'd compare more directly to any of the Sonys with the biotracer tonearm.

If I remember right, that era of Denon uses a sensor magnet attached directly to the platter for speed control. If that gets damaged or demagged you're SOL unless you can find a replacement platter. That said, it has an incredible 0.01% w&f spec. So if it's working right the performance is stellar.

Both the Sony and Denon are likely to use some proprietary ICs, but unless other components go bad and fry them IC failure is rare.

I'd say the Sony wouldn't be that big of a change from your JVC aside from tonearm style. It has quite a nice lightweight straight arm whereas you JVC has a very good S-arm. Pick your poison. That JVC is a very nice piece and I wouldn't be surprised if most here recommended it over the Sony.

The Denon has an electronically damped actively computer controlled tonearm which is a big departure from the standard S-arm on your JVC.

If I wanted an upgrade, the Denon gets my vote as long as it's functioning properly and has been taken care of. I wouldn't kick any of the three out of bed though. :)

Thanks for the excellent answer, this is extremely helpful!

Sounds like the Denon is the way to go then even if it might be a little more risky, and that there's no point buying the Sony as the JVC is more or less of the same quality (or better). I like the JVC a lot in many ways so it's nice to know that it's regarded as a good turntable. I bought it more or less blindly without knowing anything about turntables when my aunt said that I could loan her excellent vinyl collection :)

What about the cartridges? Is there a clear winner sound quality wise between the Audio Technica and the Pickering? And can the Pickering be used on the Denon? (I saw someone on a forum say that he had problems using a "Pickering 3000 cartridge" on it because the tonearm was too low?)

Last edited:
I do not agree with Speed racer. I have a pretty good system that contains both a Denon 52F and the cheaper LX 5. The complexity of the Denon is beyond belief, and is hard to even get a spare head shell for. If you need it repaired you need to find those who are familar with their problems. When they are working they are truly a lovely piece of equipment. I have lusted after one of these, since they came out in the 70's/80's. The second issue that detracts from them the arms do not seem to get the most out of the better cartridges sonicly. I do not know how far down this rabbit hole you are going to go, If you are just going to hang a Shure M97ex on it, it will be fine. The Sony also would not be my end table, in a very good system, but it will probably give you fewer problems. The head shells are hard to find for them too, but I do not know if it is the same as my five or not. Good Luck!

Thanks for the answer!

I just found out that the Denon was sold. Wow, it went fast :( Probably a lot of people that has had that on the top of their list...

I probably wouldn't have gone far down the cartridge rabbit hole, I think I would have been satisfied with a good budget one, but the complexity of the turntable sounds a bit daunting. Still, it would have been interesting to try something something so advanced

I do not agree with Speed racer. I have a pretty good system that contains both a Denon 52F and the cheaper LX 5. The complexity of the Denon is beyond belief, and is hard to even get a spare head shell for. If you need it repaired you need to find those who are familar with their problems. When they are working they are truly a lovely piece of equipment. I have lusted after one of these, since they came out in the 70's/80's. The second issue that detracts from them the arms do not seem to get the most out of the better cartridges sonicly. I do not know how far down this rabbit hole you are going to go, If you are just going to hang a Shure M97ex on it, it will be fine. The Sony also would not be my end table, in a very good system, but it will probably give you fewer problems. The head shells are hard to find for them too, but I do not know if it is the same as my five or not. Good Luck!

I don't think the Denon would be my go to either (though I'd love to have one of their separate motor/platter designs to build a system with a different tonearm).

My point was just that when new the Denon would have been much higher end and that for the same cash it'd be the"better deal". That particular model of Sony is nice, but in my mind not a huge upgrade over his JVC. The Denon would at least be something different to experience and if he didn't enjoy it, would be extremely easy to resell. The market for the x55 seems a lot more limited.

FWIW-when researching here I read similar complaints about the electronics in that generation of Sonys re: complicated internal electronics thing bad.

Check with the Denon owner if it has been recapped. Are all functions auto/manual operation working glitch free? Speed: 33 1/3 and 45 rpm both run accurately? Tonearm returns automatically and settles properly in the armrest at the end of a side?

I have a DP-47F, owned since new and it is good sounding table but as mentioned they can have potential problem areas. If it is running at speed correctly the platter hasn't been damaged. There is a coating on the internal edge of the patter which is read by what is like a tapehead sensor under the platter. If that is damaged you would have a brick. If it runs at correct speeds that is good.

The servo arm is good and allows you to run everything from a low compliance 103 to any high compliance cart you may come across. It's deficiencies are the fact it doesn't have height adjustment (possible workarounds) and it doesn't separate anti-skate settings from tracking force versus more upscale Denon arms. Most folks wouldn't know the difference anyway. When running properly, a DP-47 is a solid mid tier table very enjoyable. There can be issues with the arm dancing and not dropping properly in the correct location or not returning properly but they generally can be solved. It may require finding someone with specific experience. Mine has some auto function issues since I brought it out of storage which I'll need to have addressed it I intend to use it on any regular basis but I'm able to run it manually and it stills sounds very good.

As a servicer, I've had more intractable electronics problems with Denons from that era than with Sonys.

As someone with an interest in fixing these things, good to know!

We should put together a guide for which TTs have unobtanium ICs and which ones have parts, ICs or otherwise that tend to go bad that can't be replaced/fixed easily.

Check with the Denon owner if it has been recapped. Are all functions auto/manual operation working glitch free? Speed: 33 1/3 and 45 rpm both run accurately? Tonearm returns automatically and settles properly in the armrest at the end of a side?

I have a DP-47F, owned since new and it is good sounding table but as mentioned they can have potential problem areas. If it is running at speed correctly the platter hasn't been damaged. There is a coating on the internal edge of the patter which is read by what is like a tapehead sensor under the platter. If that is damaged you would have a brick. If it runs at correct speeds that is good.

The servo arm is good and allows you to run everything from a low compliance 103 to any high compliance cart you may come across. It's deficiencies are the fact it doesn't have height adjustment (possible workarounds) and it doesn't separate anti-skate settings from tracking force versus more upscale Denon arms. Most folks wouldn't know the difference anyway. When running properly, a DP-47 is a solid mid tier table very enjoyable. There can be issues with the arm dancing and not dropping properly in the correct location or not returning properly but they generally can be solved. It may require finding someone with specific experience. Mine has some auto function issues since I brought it out of storage which I'll need to have addressed it I intend to use it on any regular basis but I'm able to run it manually and it stills sounds very good.

The Denon DP 47F I was looking at was unfortunately sold before I contacted the seller, but thank you so much for the advice and tips, it's really good to know what to look for if one turns up again!

I don't think the Denon would be my go to either (though I'd love to have one of their separate motor/platter designs to build a system with a different tonearm).

My point was just that when new the Denon would have been much higher end and that for the same cash it'd be the"better deal". That particular model of Sony is nice, but in my mind not a huge upgrade over his JVC. The Denon would at least be something different to experience and if he didn't enjoy it, would be extremely easy to resell. The market for the x55 seems a lot more limited.

FWIW-when researching here I read similar complaints about the electronics in that generation of Sonys re: complicated internal electronics thing bad.

The Denon was sold in a couple of hours or something so yes, looks like they're really easy to sell. The Sony is still up for sale, but I think I'll just let that one go since it's not a clear upgrade from our JVC. Thanks so much for your help!

Back
Top Bottom