Which way to go for burning DVDs?

cabinover

Dazed and Confused
Hi all,
I did a few searches this morning and now am more confused than ever about burning DVD. Here's the deal, my wife wants to copy some of her DVDs so that when the kids go to a sitters :yes: , the original doesn't.

I have a DVD-R burner in the 'puter and every time I try to copy one, I get the message that it's copyright protected. I found one yesterday that it would read, wasted 25 minutes while it read it, then only to find out that my media isn't long enough anyway.

I'm not copying 42 bazillion movies to sell on the bay, I just need one copy of a few, therefore the cost of the disc isn't really important.

What do all of you suggest that do this? VCD? MPEG?

Many thanks, Bob

I use DVD Shrink to make backups of important movies or movies that are watched over and over.

http://www.dvdshrink.org/

It is free and legal and it works with Nero (my favorite burning program).

DVD Shrink will also take care of the encryption used by the MPAA.

You also have the ability to shrink the double-layer dvds to fit in the 4.7GB blanks or you can re-author the original, cutting unwanted menus and/or streams.

kerozene-

What version of nero are you using? I have 5.5.x.x (whatever the last update was) and i just got nero 6 oem suite 3 with my lite-on sohw-1633s dual layer burner. The problem is that i cant read the cd to install it, it wont work in either one of my drives.....bad cd?? If i dont need 6 i wont bother with it as ive been happy with 5.5. Im doing the same thing, using dvdshrink to copy the movie only (nice to edit out the previews and menus!) to dvd-r as to save the originals from the wrath of my 4 yr old daughter :)

-jamie

Without going into the legality of it all.....I've used DVD X Copy and DVD X Copy Express with perfect results. Of couse they are no longer in bidnezz. :thumbsdn:

I use a program from L.G.Innovations called One Click DVD copy.

http://www.1clickdvdcopy.com/

It automatically shrinks the files to fit on a DVD, it also supports dual layer if you have a compatible burner but dual layer discs are still way to expensive to use at this point!

It works great but like Roxio and Nero it won't decrypt DVD's.
however it will work with a free plug in called DVD43, (search for DVD43 official site) last I checked DVD43 will not work with Roxio or Nero.

DVD shrink is also excellent, and free if you already have a burning program to use with it. I use it to remove annoying crap like trailer they added to Shrek II that you can't skip!

Thanks for all of the replies guys. I did grab DVDShrink and after a couple of unsuccessful tries, have figured it out enough to do what I want it for.

I can't believe how naive I am about this stuff :sigh: I looked at a couple of the DVD burning/ripping forums and most of that stuff is either greek, chinese, or something besides english. It looks like english but for the life of me, I didn't understand a word of it, I swear :no:

Happy Day, Bob

jamesgf said:
kerozene-

What version of nero are you using? I have 5.5.x.x (whatever the last update was) and i just got nero 6 oem suite 3 with my lite-on sohw-1633s dual layer burner. The problem is that i cant read the cd to install it, it wont work in either one of my drives.....bad cd?? If i dont need 6 i wont bother with it as ive been happy with 5.5. Im doing the same thing, using dvdshrink to copy the movie only (nice to edit out the previews and menus!) to dvd-r as to save the originals from the wrath of my 4 yr old daughter :)

-jamie

I am using 6.6.0.0 since I had some problem with the old version (can't recall the revision number - there is a new Nero coming out every week, mostly adding support for newer burner). If you have the serial number, download the latest from Ahead at http://www.nero.com/us/nero-up.php and install it. It should ask you for a serial number and the one you have should work.

Back
Top Bottom