While Strolling Through The Net Today...

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by a10warthog, Apr 8, 2017.

1. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

Somebody pin the above quote.

Subjective preference can only be defined by oneself through one's own senses. No one can experience what the other person is experiencing so whatever they say cannot be relied upon as the absolute truth. This is the existential theory that defines our own individual existence but curiously does not confirm the existence of others. The very common mistake made in this arena is that subjectivists tend to apply their own preference to all others and forget to add the provision "to me".

Objective results are repeatable in the lab and some important insights into the design can be gained. If the goal of the objectivist is to find the most signal accurate amp, then inexpensive gear such as pro amps achieve the goal. However, many find signal accurate amps to sound objectionable (pun intended).

Moderates are able to correlate objective results with what they are hearing and use lab results to enhance their listening experience. Agreed.

Unfortunately, the above brief does not offer any insights into what is an audiophile. I'll offer this for starters. An audiophile has a subjective sound preference that has been validated through comparison audition of a wide range of gear. This definition is inclusive of all hearing conditions and allows for any gear choice to be made. In short, anyone of any class can be an audiophile.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    Bodyblue likes this.
  2. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

Nice debunk. I imagine the author would be a poor audio salesman.

a10warthog, DaveVoorhis and dave1701 like this.
  3. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

Yep we call those Martin Logan's that dip to 1ohm amp eaters:)

darkblue94 likes this.
  4. Will S.

Will S. AK Subscriber Subscriber

4 Ohms and low efficiency are difficult for entry level amps, integrateds and receivers. The power supplies of such equipment will certainly be taxed at normal volumes in common rooms.

Bodyblue likes this.
  5. Mister Pig

Mister Pig Pigamus Maximus Subscriber

Not the integrated I am working into my system. It should be able to handle that pesky Magnepan.

[​IMG]

Disclaimer: Not my specific amp, mine is in transit and due to arrive Monday

Actually the $500 SMG Magnepans were able to run off many a receiver or integrated amp. But they did need a powered subwoofer to really be a full range speaker system. But they were a go to speaker for the hobbyist looking for bang for the buck. Sure they sounded better on good seperates, but they did not melt down a typical Pioneer or Kenwood receiver either. But they were a very flat 4 ohm load, which any component with a half way decent power suppply could handle. But the smaller panel area meant you couldnt hit festival level SPL's. And trying to do that is what often shortened the life of an amplifier because they were asked to supply more power than they could to try to obtain a SPL level that was in reality out of the reach of the amp/speaker combo. So it was not a fault of the speaker or the amplifier, but the owners failure to understand the inherent limitations of this pairing.

Regards
    Mister Pig

Tom Brennan and darkblue94 like this.
  6. NH-MAN

NH-MAN Active Member

I agree on the albums, I do not care about specs and such. Its the sound that it produces that people like not the specs. I even like the way tape "sounds" over digital regardless if digital is superior on paper. I always have and probably always will.
    Receivers not so much except for the qualities of the tone controls. I have two opposite end of the spectrum units 25 years apart and except for the tonal qualities of the tone controls; if set up the same (I mean setting the tone controls on each unit so the speakers sound the same on each) I would not be able to tell the difference if they were behind a curtain.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    bluesky likes this.
  7. danrclem

danrclem Well-Known Member

I can hear the differences in CD players.

I haven't yet heard the magic of vinyl and I'm not saying that it's not there. Maybe I just haven't listened to the right setup.

Most receivers and integrated amps that I have listened to have sounded more different than alike. Maybe if all of them were going through the same preamp there wouldn't be a difference or as much of a difference.

I can't understand why you need bigger gauge speaker cables than the cable that powers your whole system. Not saying it doesn't make a difference but I would have hear it for myself. I have to admit that 14 gauge copper wire is the biggest I have used.

8. Bassblaster

Bassblaster Super Member

ive only experienced the "burn in factor" ONCE and thats when i go new tweeters and mids for one of my old tower speakers. they sounded really muffled for about 2 days then they started to clear up

darkblue94 likes this.
  9. E-Stat

E-Stat Super Member

Articles like that just make me shake my head and laugh. :)

darkblue94 likes this.
  10. Jim Marantz

Jim Marantz Active Member

well, ic opamps all have different sounds. so how can all preamps sound the same? discuss....
    jim

11. Finjima

Finjima Active Member

the blog was hard to read for me, I had a hard time getting past some of the big words i could not pronounce. Also the guy tends to run on about things, say's one thing and does the opposite. What I really think is he doing is trying to get attention and its working.

12. SiliconTi

SiliconTi AK Subscriber Subscriber

Actually, the Nikko, Yamaha and Kenwood amps are rated at higher outputs that the Mac and Haffler. I am not cranking them up at all, the Mac shows peaks of 10 watts in use - the amp architecture makes a difference.

My La Scales show similar preferences for amps - and no way those need high power.

13. biscuithead

biscuithead Me likes the eargasm retroplasm... Subscriber

Loved the article! Really liked this Roger Russel quote:
    “When confronted with the truth, believers do not want to hear about it. They want to remain in the magical world of fantasy ..."

darkblue94 likes this.
  14. biscuithead

biscuithead Me likes the eargasm retroplasm... Subscriber

Rain.
    The last 4 times I've been to Red Rocks, it has rained on me! ...still going back in June though.

15. superdog

superdog AK Member

I'll just keep doing what I do.For whatever the reason.I for the most part cannot tell the difference between cd players but I can definately tell a good vinyl record when I hear it.

rxonmymind and Bodyblue like this.
  16. Drumolator

Drumolator Super Member

I really like that article, so much that I read part two also. Thanks for sharing; I feel a bit "set free." I have two Sony subwoofers that I am not currently using. Maybe I should sell them and get a better one. Peace and goodwill.

17. rxonmymind

rxonmymind AK Subscriber Subscriber

Sooo, you if you put my subjective opinions in a lab and what I like is found to be repeatable then it becomes objective truth for all of you! Muwhahaha Wait.... I'm in a lab..Oor am I? Am I crazy or is everyone else?:D WHO exactly is in this lab? You or me?

18. maxhifi

maxhifi Well-Known Member

I can't honestly believe that article was written by someone who has spent a lot of time actually using hi-fi equipment.

"No difference between CD players" yeah, right! No better way to take all the life out of a system than use cheap source equipment.

Drumolator likes this.
  19. bd1886

bd1886 Super Member

I agree on all points and over time those kinds of opinions don't even get paid attention to. Blanket statements (like those) just don't hold up a lot of the time. Case in point? I'm listening to some cassette that holds up well to other supposedly "better" media....there's a fire starter with some!!

20. Drum

Drum Member

I agree with most of that linked article. Like most things, as price goes up returns diminish. The only way to market the super expensive items is to appeal to something beyond performance.

Bodyblue likes this.