White Elephant Abbey Road

A further update. After more research this evening, I've stumbled across some new information.

Over on the Steve Hoffman forums there are several former Abbey Road and Motown engineers who post. In one post was described two speakers. One being the REDD 36 column speaker. These were said to use the EMI elliptical drivers and powered by an integrated Leak TL25 power amplifier.

He then described what are referred to as the Dutton speaker, named for one Dr. Dutton of EMI fame. These looked externally similar to the Altec 612 cabs in the control room at Abbey Road. However, their internals were all different. Used a closed cab "infinite baffle" design. They used a modified Wharfedale 15" bassd driver with a pair of EMi manufactured tweeters mounted across the bass speaker.

That last entry is the kicker. Going back to the original picture I posted, down in the bottom, there is a picture of Lennon with sunglasses on and the white elephant speaker behind him. You can see a bar running across the large woofer. These must be the tweeters.

Another possible Dutton link is the original EMI DLS-1 speakers. A search of the internet and subsequently, past fleabay auctions, drew several parallels between the white elephant speaker and these speakers. They were powered by an EMI STD/373 power amp, which are very similar to the Leak TL25s. They used 13x8 EMI 92390 G elliptical drivers. They also had two GEC 1853 Hi-Flux presence unit tweeters.

Anyone find out anything further about EMI DLS-1 Studio Monitors? Did George Martin use them?

I came to own these and meet these people by shear serendipity. And now I am a rare audiophile in that I keep looking but can find nothing that I want.

I own a pair of emi 1 towers, with the std373 amps. Very nice sound stage. They appear to have a small equalizer built into the amps, and are “contoured or adjusted at the factory for each speaker to match the amps. Bedore shipping.

My friend who is now 74, was once in business with Gordon holt from Stereophile, ( hope I got the name correct). And who now has the device that graphs the the response of speakers, which was used for many reviews at Stereophile. AF9345FF-891C-40DD-80E1-0B3AAE9C7CE2.jpeg did a reading for me and said it had the flatest response he had ever seen. For my ears they are what I would call the most honest speaker I have heard, it is more of a true monitor, which may be a little bright for some but they reveals everything. I am streaming Tidal Mqa through these for a wonderful experience... there is a guy on eBay called goldieducks who know everything about Emi elipitical Speakers and has written 4-5 essays on the history of that brand.so if you search emi -1 towers you may find them. The photo is of the amps outside of the towers. I have some original flyers and schematic for the amps , which we had to rebuild, 4DF9347E-C66C-44CC-B40D-7F7301E242D9.jpeg

Also, recently there were a pair of almost identical (emi)towers for sale in Poland , but of all things there were branded Redd. I am thinking that EMI, REDD, LEAK AND STD were all related by people if not by contract. In other words these guys all knew and worked for each other over the time frame. Any way in that eBay ad there is a photo of the famous redd mixer and those towers in a book called something like the Beatles recording equipment. I tried to find the book and did but it cost a few hundred dollars for a copy . Those redd towers came with leak amps in them.

Back
Top Bottom