White Lightning Moonshine DIY Speaker Cables 2016 Walmart $11.88 Test

AudioBugged

I uploaded a video on YouTube demonstrating the cables which I hope sounds okay as I can't tell on my PC speakers? :dunno:

White Lightning Moonshine DIY Speaker Cables 2016 Walmart $11.88 Test

The following is a test of the WLM DIY type speaker cables which Jeff Day of 6 Moons wrote about in 2007. After doing some research on the web and comparing in stores I discovered that the 16/3 cords sold by 5 different companies seem identical and reading on the web that manufacturers in China will print anything on the white casing desired.

So this WLM trial testing was done with the most affordable WORKCHOICE 50' for $11.88 at Walmart or $10.97 online. I constructed two 15' length speaker cables just in case I needed to reconvert them into power cords. Also being used is one pair of 3’ length WLM DIY RCA interconnects.

For further fun & giggles there are multitudes of anti Audiophile practices at play. All gear was just powered up. The speaker cables are on the floor without elevators. The B&W V-201 speakers have the grilles on and are not on sand filled stands. There is no vibration isolation being used as the $10.61 ex Goodwill second hand Sony DVD player is on the carpet for this demo. The integrated amp a vintage “lamp cord era” Marantz 1070 rated at 35 WPC circa 1974 was placed on a cardboard box instead of on a amp stand. The IC’s are also a quick pair of WLM DIY’s I tossed together. The cables are not burnt in so the dielectric has not settled. Everything was plugged directly into the wall with no power conditioning, no fancy receptacle, and no dedicated electrical line.

Since the Marantz 1070 only accepts bare wire or pins I have not used any fancy 4 figure factory terminated speaker cables. The 1070 used in this demonstration has been completely restored and is fully recapped. Once brought back to factory spec after 42 years and the caps burn in it sonically betters many comparable integrated amps made today nearing the mid four figure range. The 1070 has a ton of headroom as Barney the purple dinasofa resides in is 28' x 16' room. I used a pair of 500 WPC SS A/B mono blocks in here at one point but do not miss them with the Marantz. I've never taken the volume as far as 1/2 way and the internal heat sink under the chassis cover then still only gets warm to the touch even after extended listening. I would have no issue using this on a five figure pair of speakers laughing all the way to the bank and a few music stores to buy more CD’s & LP’s.

So far using the WORKCHOICE WLM’s on the 1070 the sound stage is broad, the mid woofer inner details are to die for, the highs are nicely extended but never bright, and the low end extension is tight and authoritative.

The 30 year old front ported V201's used in my office have a 3/4" soft dome tweeter which is never harsh. Along with a 6 1/2" rubber surround paper mid woofer rated down to around the mid 50Hz range. They are the only Bowers & Wilkins speaker I could ever listen to for extended sessions without getting fatigued and therefore I've owned them longer then any other piece of equipment.

The recording selected is by Canadian violinist Lara St. John and is Track 8 from her 1997 album titled Gypsy available at Amazon. I so far only own Lara’s first 4 Redbook CD’s however can state that the recording quality of each is nothing less than spectacular.

I did not remember that this recording was 10 minutes long prior to kneeling and holding my cell phone straight out toward the speakers. So since this is my first ever uploaded video please forgive me if there is any shaking or jitters. As after 5 minutes I started having flashbacks of punishments received in Catholic school as a youth. At the 8 minute duration this escalated toward feeling like some third world country interrogation torture method. I'll upload another 7+ minute Fourplay track to show dynamics once I get 50 hours on the cables and regain my strength. :rflmao:

Thanks for checking out my video & enjoy! :)

Last edited:
The $35,000 custom built GM70 amp in this picture is using White Lightning Moonshine cables from Walmart.

img_4038.jpg

Mitkraft, If your read my comment posted on General Discussions I did not realize there was a DIY section here until after I posted there.

So I'm sorry as I'm still at the stage of trying to become familiar with AK as there's plenty of areas I have not even navigated toward.

Poultrygeist, Are those 10 whack-a-mole looking things peeking out of the turntable plinth vacuum tubes or weights?

Zebra03, Yes it's just a grounded 16 gauge patio extension cord meant for a electric grill, bug zapper, or weed wacker.

There was a write up in one of the Stereo mags back in the 80's that sang the praises of Radio Shack's bulk spools of 16ga red hookup wire. It was supposed to be very pure copper. But buying two 100 foot spools was a bit spendy.

Nice thread and one I am definitely researching. Walmart still carries the white 40" 16/3 extension cord. Listed as:
"Woods 40' 16/3 SJTW Outdoor Patio Cord, White"

thread from 6moons I am reading as well. Looks very promising.

Back
Top Bottom