Who can you use to ship freight these days?

Discussion in 'Packing & Shipping' started by toxcrusadr, Dec 4, 2017.

1. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr AK Subscriber Subscriber

If you want to palletize or crate something larger than FedEx or UPS will accept, what are the shipping options?

I know UShip will send you quotes for a particular item as described, but they bug you to accept one before a deadline. Is there anywhere like Yellow Freight or DHL that you can enter info on a web page and estimate a price, like you can with FedEx and UPS?

2. 91r100gs

91r100gs Lunatic Member

Old Dominion Freight lines. They specialize in "Less Than Full Load" shipments. Not sure if they are in your area.

sfox52 likes this.
  3. electronjohn

electronjohn Plug it in & see!! Subscriber

^^^
    I see their trucks frequently around here...you'd think they run in Missouri as well. Or...just google LTL (Less Than Load) carries & see what pops up.

4. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr AK Subscriber Subscriber

OK I googled up 'freight carriers near me' and got some 'LTL' carriers.

I did ask for quotes on UShip last month for a speaker deal that didn't pan out. I was disappointed the input info was not detailed enough. I had several shippers ask whether it could be shipped from and/or to a freight depot instead of a customer address. I would have thought UShip would have that in the parameters so you could select it as an option. I'm very capable of hauling a palletized item to a local shipper.

5. Mark B

Mark B Yamaha Fan Subscriber

I shipped a palletized item with Saia from their Portland OR terminal to a residence in the Montgomery AL area. Terminal to terminal was about $35 less but I wanted to save the recipient a 100 mile round trip to pick it up.

6. electronjohn

electronjohn Plug it in & see!! Subscriber

Saw a truck on the highway this AM that jogged my mind: Lewis Truck Lines AKA "LTL"...yes..."less than load".

7. hugo454

hugo454 Gold Member Subscriber

try
    uship

Ds2000 likes this.