Who do you send your Fisher gear to?

Rex Everything

are you Shpongled?
Subscriber
I was lucky enough to come up with a few nice Fisher items that are pretty rough, infact the amp is very rough, and I was curious who you Fisher guys use for your restoration work.

Here are the items I have

SA-300

400CX2

FM-200B

I don't know how much work he does on Fisher gear, but I've heard nothing but good things about Craig at NOS Valves.

And... :drool: You have a top-flight Fisher system there. CX2s have been going for crazy money on eBay lately.

I don't know how much work he does on Fisher gear, but I've heard nothing but good things about Craig at NOS Valves.

And... :drool: You have a top-flight Fisher system there. CX2s have been going for crazy money on eBay lately.

X2, had my Fisher 800B receiver restored by Craig @ NOS Valves and have been very pleased.

Thanks for the input so far.

I know Craig, Terry DeWick and Jay all do great work. I'm just curious who has used who and their results.

Does Craig do tuners?

Last edited:
I don't own Fisher gear but when I was down at Mark Wilson's aka Absolute Sound labs he had taken in some Fisher gear. He is a certified McIntosh service center for tube gear plus he is a full service shop.

Wow, nice Fisher gear! About the only way you can get any closer to TOTL is with an FM-1000. That amp is a beast.

Thanks for the input so far. This set will be the kinda thing that is better heard and not seen.

I have a feeling it will be sometime before these make it out to anyone for repairs.

You could always trade them for Allen 70 work.:smoke: Knowing your tight ass, you probably stole them from a church bake sale at a doller each.:D

You could always trade them for Allen 70 work.:smoke: Knowing your tight ass, you probably stole them from a church bake sale at a doller each.:D

Is there ever gonna be any Allen 75 work done? :D

No steal on these. Traded a fellow AK'r a very nice piece for these beat up units but figured I'd never have another chance at some TOTL (or close to TOTL) tube Fishers again. Just wait til you see the poor SA-300.

Fm-200-b

The FM-200-B

This one is in the best condition of the three. I think the pics may make it look a bit worse than it does in person.

SOrry for the crappy pics.

100_1609-1.jpg

100_1610.jpg

100_1611.jpg

100_1612.jpg

100_1613.jpg

400cx2

Both upper corners are bent on this unit.

I actually saw this one powered up. I have not tested them yet but there are a few nice tubes in this unit.

100_1624.jpg

100_1621.jpg

100_1620.jpg

100_1619.jpg

100_1623.jpg

100_1622.jpg

Sa-300

This amp has seen better days. Not sure what it hit or what hit it but it got it pretty good. Damage came in shipping I was told. Took out the other three Syvania labled Mullard EL34's and two GZ34's. Unit was working before shipped I'm told.

When I took the bottom off I noticed someone had replaced a few components already.

100_1618.jpg

100_1617.jpg

100_1616.jpg

100_1615.jpg

100_1614.jpg

100_1625.jpg

100_1626.jpg

100_1627.jpg

Beautiful stuff! Certainly isn't the most desirable way to have the 300 looking, but for the trio, together, WOW.

Do that 300 up completely new. You'll love the iron. Can't wait to see the progress.

Hey, that tuna will clean up quite nicely. Some patient work with one part ammonia/six parts water will have that chassis shinin'. Looks like there's some damage around the push switches and volume knob on the preamp. Not much you can do there. I'd gut the 300, and put the guts in a new chassis. Or hide it in a nice console. Still some outstanding gear there, and some really nice tubes too!

Took my 200B tune, 400 receiver and Scott 299A integrated to Mike Urban of Urban Antique Radio in Connecticut.

The 200B was finely done, and that's why I took the rest to him.

Some distance for you though.

No affiliation.

Cheers

I don't think the Chassis on the 300 is that bad. It;s the attachment tabs on the tranny's that bent mostly. Remove the tranny's and reshaped the mounts and they will sit flat. Some selective masking/painting should bring it up.

Larry

Rex Everything,
The 400CX could have the front panel straightened.
The tuner just needs a front panel wash, but be careful, those champagned ones are simply lacquer over brushed aluminum and they can't be immersed in water/ammonia because it will lift the lacquer.

That 300 looks like it was dropped and the chassis is now sprung. Iron needs to be taken off and the brackets straightened, and the chassis needs to be reinforced.
What is your tolerance for doing invasive cosmetic work?
If it's low, perhaps some of our veteran tube posters can do a hammertone repaint and put on new lettering with a label maker.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom