who has moved from a class a/b amplifier to CLass D digital ?

gentlejax

Im not refering to the crown XLS drivecore Class D pro amps. I think everyone has tried them as they were such a good $ to watt at one point. I am talking about the Ice chip amps or the other classD amps that have sprung up recent years that were made for home use.

has anyone gone from something like a adcom or B&K or HK or carver or any other well known common middle range amp to the class D amps and what were you thoughts.

I am waiting on a restored adcom gfa555 and a W4S St500 to compare . winner takes all looser finds new home

I plan on trying a pair of PS Audio Stellar M700's this week.

They would replace a Musical Fidelity A5 IA if things work out.

Does that count.

I plan on trying a pair of PS Audio Stellar M700's this week.

They would replace a Musical Fidelity A5 IA if things work out.

Does that count.

sure. i just want to see some opinions on their a/b versus class D. ill be doing the same if fed ex gets their crap togther

GFP-555 and GFA-535 into a pair of Spica TC-50s . Sounds amazing
I always heard the 535 and the 555 sounded better than the 545. not sure about that. I had the 535 and 545 but I never compared them. waiting on a beautifuly rebuilt 555 today

Went from early B&K to icepower driving my Carver Amazings.
No regrets at all.
which B&K did you have? i had the big 2 channel with the big caps..it was the only amp I ever had that kept playing after power was off cause of them big caps.

I will be testing a Wyred4Sound st-500 which is ice powered 250 x 2 and the adcom 555 which has been totally rebuilt restored upgraded from ground up.

which B&K did you have? i had the big 2 channel with the big caps..it was the only amp I ever had that kept playing after power was off cause of them big caps.

I will be testing a Wyred4Sound st-500 which is ice powered 250 x 2 and the adcom 555 which has been totally rebuilt restored upgraded from ground up.
It was a Sonata series 5 channel. Same thing with it continuing to play after the power was off. Surprising, considering what power soaks my speakers are.
I tested a Wyred amplifier and was quite pleased. I ended up buying my own modules and power boards and building my own amp.
I tried a tubed preamp but found I was happy with the modules fed directly. The speakers aren't very critical, so there's really no need to "soften" the amplification on them.

I always heard the 535 and the 555 sounded better than the 545. not sure about that. I had the 535 and 545 but I never compared them. waiting on a beautifuly rebuilt 555 today
The 535 and 545 channel boards are identical, but 545 have three pairs of output transistors instead of two and operate at higher rail voltage.

Parasound 3500, Parasound 2200 MKII and Parasound 2205AT (I think that's right?) and Bob Carver VTM180 tube monoblocks. Parasounds are for sale, Bob Carver tube monoblocks are not. Nor are the PS Audio M700 Class D monos. The Parasounds best'd a lot of SS amps I've had through the years.

I'm enjoying some music through an Onkyo A-9555 Class D integrated this evening. It seemed a little "dry" to me when I was using an Ortofon cartridge with an OM-20 stylus but now that I've gone to a Grado Gold 1 through a Budgie phono pre, I think it sounds very nice. The 9555 has a cleaner sound than any of my vintage receivers or integrated amps. I'm using Paradigm 9SE MkII speakers which to my ear have a smooth top end and tend to lend a little mid bass warmth.

Good luck with your new Class D amp. Please let us know what you think about it.

Sansui, McIntosh, vintage Crown, Luxman, vintage Marantz from the first two owners, Fisher from the original company, HH Scott pre 1973, Bryston, Adcom, Harman-Kardon, Citation, older Parasound.

what class D did you try out? I havnt given my new to me Wyred4sound a good listening as I just got a new DAC/Pre yesterday

Sansui, McIntosh, vintage Crown, Luxman, vintage Marantz from the first two owners, Fisher from the original company, HH Scott pre 1973, Bryston, Adcom, Harman-Kardon, Citation, older Parasound.
No suprizes from your previous postings, I thought some context would be useful for others.
In my own experience, the technically elegant dual TPA3118 Allo Volt+D from an Indian IT company is a more sonically interesting and musically involving amp within it's limitations than many other amps I've used.

Back
Top Bottom