Who has tried the M91ED Super Analogue Stylus?

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by Raccoon1400, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Raccoon1400

Raccoon1400 Super Member

I'm wondering who has tried the Super Analogue replacement stylus for the Shure M91.
    http://www.lpgear.com/product/SHN091ESAS.html

How does it compare to similarly priced carts/styluses? If one is spending the money, I'm wondering if it is worth getting that stylus, or a better cart.

2. Bubbalouie

Bubbalouie Active Member

I had my Dual 721 sent to Fix My Dual for a small fix. When we discussed what cartridges he had, he mentioned he had an M91 with the Jico stylus. I told him to send me one when he sends my table back. When I opened the box, he sent an M91 with Hi Track stylus. I called him why he sent the Hi Track instead of the Jico. He says if you have a Hi Track stylus that it would be better than the Jico. I was looking forward to my first Jico, but he's been working on Duals for a long time and he would know what's good. If you can find a Hi Track stylus, you would be better off.

3. malden

malden Super Member

What turntable are you using?

4. Raccoon1400

Raccoon1400 Super Member

I'm not asking for a specific table, I'm wondering if this is an upgrade worth recommending to people who I sell tables to that have a shure m91ed cart.

Though there is a guy I sold a thorens td-105 with m91ed to that is wondering about his upgrade options.

5. malden

malden Super Member

Putting a high quality, high compliance stylus on a low-end tone-arm will give low-end results, maybe worse.

6. malden

malden Super Member

I used to think that you could improve a mediocre turntable with a high quality cartridge, that ain't necessarily so. I've since learned that if you start with a high quality turntable, you can get the best out of a mediocre cartridge, then move up the cartridge food chain as needed.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    tubewade likes this.
  7. beatcomber

beatcomber AK Member

I've not had positive experiences with tonal changes brought on by some JICO styli, but a notable exception is the (original) SAS specifically used on the M91ED. That one is a winner.

dfunghi likes this.
  8. Raccoon1400

Raccoon1400 Super Member

9. malden

malden Super Member

10. Tcomisky

Tcomisky AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm using the JICO SAS on a M91ed. I bought two of them when they made the announcement that they were not making them any longer. I had the other stylus they make for this cartridge and the SAS really blew them away.
    I'm using it on a Thorens TD-125 MKII with a Rabco SL-8E tonearm. I think it sounds very good, it's probably the best combo I've ever had, but I'm probably not the best person to ask since I've never owned a high end MC cartridge.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    dfunghi likes this.
  11. Raccoon1400

Raccoon1400 Super Member

Oops, any other comparable ones under $100?

12. malden

malden Super Member

13. beatcomber

beatcomber AK Member

AT and Shure carts have very different presentations.

14. Straker62

Straker62 New Member

I think that also the N91ED Vivid line hyperellictical stylus at Lpgear should be considered. I don'thave one, but many people consider it the best deal for a M91ED.

15. malden

malden Super Member

In my experience, the best deal for Shure M91ED stylus would be the JICO conicals. They are dirt cheap yet are built just like the originals. To my ears, they sound just as good on most types of music as their elliptical counterparts...

http://www.jico-stylus.com/product_info.php?products_id=1026

16. dfunghi

dfunghi AK Subscriber Subscriber

17. Jim Creek

Jim Creek Jazz, Wine, Electronics

I have the Vivid Line from LP Gear mounted on my M91ed. I think it is superb. It's been on my turntable for months, can't seem to switch it out as I usually do with all my cartridges.

http://www.lpgear.com/product/SHN091VL.html

18. CohibaJoe

CohibaJoe AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have been collecting M91ED for 7 years (10 total). I do have a NOS that is still in the box. Have 6
    ED SAUNDERS that I picked up 6 years ago that are real (long gone now) that works very well.
    Going to order the LP Gear ViVid Line now...Thanks for the link.:thumbsup:

ShureM91ED.jpg

Jim Creek likes this.