Who has tried the M91ED Super Analogue Stylus?

I had my Dual 721 sent to Fix My Dual for a small fix. When we discussed what cartridges he had, he mentioned he had an M91 with the Jico stylus. I told him to send me one when he sends my table back. When I opened the box, he sent an M91 with Hi Track stylus. I called him why he sent the Hi Track instead of the Jico. He says if you have a Hi Track stylus that it would be better than the Jico. I was looking forward to my first Jico, but he's been working on Duals for a long time and he would know what's good. If you can find a Hi Track stylus, you would be better off.

What turntable are you using?
I'm not asking for a specific table, I'm wondering if this is an upgrade worth recommending to people who I sell tables to that have a shure m91ed cart.

Though there is a guy I sold a thorens td-105 with m91ed to that is wondering about his upgrade options.

I'm not asking for a specific table, I'm wondering if this is an upgrade worth recommending to people who I sell tables to that have a shure m91ed cart.

Though there is a guy I sold a thorens td-105 with m91ed to that is wondering about his upgrade options.

Putting a high quality, high compliance stylus on a low-end tone-arm will give low-end results, maybe worse.

I used to think that you could improve a mediocre turntable with a high quality cartridge, that ain't necessarily so. I've since learned that if you start with a high quality turntable, you can get the best out of a mediocre cartridge, then move up the cartridge food chain as needed.

Last edited:
I've not had positive experiences with tonal changes brought on by some JICO styli, but a notable exception is the (original) SAS specifically used on the M91ED. That one is a winner.

I'm using the JICO SAS on a M91ed. I bought two of them when they made the announcement that they were not making them any longer. I had the other stylus they make for this cartridge and the SAS really blew them away.
I'm using it on a Thorens TD-125 MKII with a Rabco SL-8E tonearm. I think it sounds very good, it's probably the best combo I've ever had, but I'm probably not the best person to ask since I've never owned a high end MC cartridge.

Last edited:
I think that also the N91ED Vivid line hyperellictical stylus at Lpgear should be considered. I don'thave one, but many people consider it the best deal for a M91ED.

I have the Vivid Line from LP Gear mounted on my M91ed. I think it is superb. It's been on my turntable for months, can't seem to switch it out as I usually do with all my cartridges.

http://www.lpgear.com/product/SHN091VL.html
I have been collecting M91ED for 7 years (10 total). I do have a NOS that is still in the box. Have 6
ED SAUNDERS that I picked up 6 years ago that are real (long gone now) that works very well.
Going to order the LP Gear ViVid Line now...Thanks for the link.:thumbsup:

ShureM91ED.jpg

Back
Top Bottom