Who has tubes they can't bring themselves to use?

With about 20 tube amps in rotation, I can still only listen to one (or two monos) at a time. That leaves a lot of tubes resting idle in their sockets. My current daily driver is a Dyna ST70. At the moment, it has some cheap Chinese EL34s in it that sound fine to me--the ECC81s are good ones though. That leaves more NOS quality stock standing idle in boxes, but there aren't a lot of these boxes. If I were running all my amps and receivers at once, I might be worried. But as it is, most of my tubes, new and NOS, will outlast me

I still do repairs for other people so some of the tubes in my stash get used for replacement during repairs. There are other tubes for antique radios in my collection that may never get used, but they are available should I need them. I don't like to wait for a part to be shipped because I don't have it on the shelf when I'm working on piece of equipment. I have a good sized stash of caps, resistors and other related electronic parts that I keep for fixing things too.

I have a couple of 5691 rca's with the red bases that came in a large lot from an estate sale(I was very lucky that day, should of bought a lottery ticket) I bought everything they had and half of them were not for audio but there was plenty of audio tubes in that stash. The 5691's are the most expensive tubes I have ever owned in the 6 years I have been in this hobby.

Back
Top Bottom