Who here are the INFINITY Guru’s here?

Discussion in 'Infinity Loudspeakers' started by Bobbyd38, Jun 13, 2018 at 7:57 PM.

1. Bobbyd38

Bobbyd38 New Member

markuus3889, tubed and StimpyWan like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. swechsler

swechsler Frog Whisperer

Well, I don't have any blown EMITs, so I'm not your target audience, but I'll be watching this thread with interest.

How did you make them? Any plan to do EMIM diaphragms?

3. Sound Dragon

Sound Dragon Yawns and sets his couch on fire! Subscriber

Watching this thread also!

4. Bobbyd38

Bobbyd38 New Member

Yes, EMIM’s are next, and the tall Quantum EMITs too.
    It wasn’t easy, but basically I reverse engineered them. The hardest part was identifying the materials composition. I have access to a molecular analyzer, so that helps as the expense of hiring a materials scientist wouldn’t have been cost effective and would have killed the project.

I also have Polydome Midrange Diaphragms in development too!

5. Sound Dragon

Sound Dragon Yawns and sets his couch on fire! Subscriber

You are about to become very popular around here!

Bobbyd38 likes this.
  6. swechsler

swechsler Frog Whisperer

The original EMITs had a Kapton diaphragm with aluminum traces, AFAIK. There wasn't much of a mystery regarding the materials used, being able to reproduce them at a reasonable price was the issue.

The Polydomes, on the other hand...

7. jazzmans

jazzmans Super Member

I've got a need for an Emit-R. . .
    But none of my old half or full Emits have failed yet.

However, I know I'll need new Emim's some day for my Rens. dunno what the difference in construction was between the original EMIM and the 'High Energy Emim' found on my rens.

My brother will be needing new polydomes some day for his kappa 9, unless I can pry them out of his hands, then I'll be needing new Polydomes one day.

Bobbyd38 likes this.
  8. Bobbyd38

Bobbyd38 New Member

Well, as I learned from my Polydome research, the material used to market them; Polypropylene, is NOT the material used to produce them! So I had everything analyzed to be 100% sure. Of course using the correct material is critical.

9. jazzmans

jazzmans Super Member

So, what were they made of? I've always assume it was polypro due to marketing.
    Which polydomes did you test for materials? (I wonder if there were differences in different model years, since the RS series polydomes don't seem to fail, only the kappa and kappa .1 series.)

10. Bobbyd38

Bobbyd38 New Member

Sorry, can’t share that information, I went through some considerable expense and a great deal of time to acquire it
    I used Kappa, and Kappa .1,s to test. These are still in developement, currently tooling.

11. pauljh

pauljh Active Member

If you have some EMIM diaphragms you want to test, I have three EMIMs with dead diaphragms which I have taken apart and put back together. I can install new diaphragms, measure the impedance, and measure the frequency response and efficiency compared to original EMIMs.

mech986 likes this.

12. 7.62

7.62 Gearhead Subscriber

All audio, no attitude....I'm just moody this morning. I see a lack of subscribers here and did you get the polydomes I sent you ? A simple thanks would do. I think that's pretty badass you've made it to a complete replication and I'd have to agree on the polydome formula, no way am I sharing that recipe.

I sure hope you keep persevering, it's going to save a lot of speakers that would be parted out or trashed :beerchug:

13. okeeteekid

okeeteekid Well-Known Member

I bet the polydome is vinyl

14. Port Entropy

Port Entropy New Member

I just have to say that Infinity Gurus would be an awesome band name.

15. Bahamayellow

Bahamayellow Well-Known Member

16. dcmaster

dcmaster Infinity Lover

@Bobbyd38, I watching this thread also! We all need people like you :thumbsup::thumbsup:. I think many Europeans will like to hear that. I can only speak here for the Europeans. I have an eye on it. Also and especially the emims are very interesting. Let us know when you're done.

Best regards from Europe Germany
    Klaus

17. pauljh

pauljh Active Member

I recently saw a claim that Graz stopped making replacement EMIM diaphragms after receiving a cease and desist patent claim from Infinity. That doesn’t seem right to me; if they aren’t going to make them, why not just ask for a royalty agreement?

thenoblegeek likes this.
  18. rvito

rvito Active Member

How about L- Emims in the future?

19. swechsler

swechsler Frog Whisperer

That's gonna be a tough sell...

20. slimpikkins

slimpikkins Super Member

Can’t find them offered on his website anywhere. They are a completely different design and superior to the infinity diaphragms in every way. Thats a shame they are no longer available.